MD & DO WAMC? 3.44 cGPA, 3.33 sGPA, no MCAT taken yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drthedude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m sure many of you are sick and tired of seeing pots like this but just need to for my own sake. I have a 3.44 cGPA and a 3.33 sGPA with an upward trend. 910 total hours with research, shadowing, clinical volunteering etc. Of those 910 hours I wanna say ~500 is clinical from volunteering and work and shadowing is about 210 hours and the rest is research. Volunteering was done from HS to about November of freshman year of college, shadowing done sophomore/junior year summer and research was senior year summer. Would simply taking a gap year and trying to do well on my MCAT be the way to go over a post-bacc? I would still be working and pursuing research so there would be no "dead time". Thanks in advance! Trend is attached below.
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 3.21.30 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Without a real MCAT score there is no way of predicting your chances. Your GPAs are below average for MD matriculated students( cGPA -3.7x and sGPA-3.6x). Are you open to applying to and attending a DO school? You should seriously consider DO schools as they might be your most viable path to medicine.
I’m not sure why you are going to pursue research during your gap year. With your GPAs you most likely won’t be applying to research focused schools and you already have some research. It seems like your clinical experiences are 4+ years old. Perhaps finding a job in a hospital that allows direct patient contact would be a better idea. At least you’d see and experience what’s happening in medicine now.
Come back here when you have your MCAT score and post the WAMC grid and people will be happy to look at your application and school list and make recommendations. Good luck on the MCAT.

Without a real MCAT score there is no way of predicting your chances. Your GPAs are below average for MD matriculated students( cGPA -3.7x and sGPA-3.6x). Are you open to applying to and attending a DO school? You should seriously consider DO schools as they might be your most viable path to medicine.
I’m not sure why you are going to pursue research during your gap year. With your GPAs you most likely won’t be applying to research focused schools and you already have some research. It seems like your clinical experiences are 4+ years old. Perhaps finding a job in a hospital that allows direct patient contact would be a better idea. At least you’d see and experience what’s happening in medicine now.
Come back here when you have your MCAT score and post the WAMC grid and people will be happy to look at your application and school list and make recommendations. Good luck on the MCAT.
Hello! Sorry new to SDN so I apologize if I am doing anything wrong here. Absolutely will be applying to DO schools. I also do have a hospital job in which I interact with patients daily (moving them around etc) while also talking with nurses and doctors as a health unit coordinator which I will still be working during said gap year along with research! I am also a immunizing pharmacy tech which is clinical and will also be working that during my gap year, hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to apologize. I was only going off what you said in your OP. Your clinical experiences sound fine. What do you have in nonclinical volunteering -serving the unserved/underserved in your community? When are you planning to take the MCAT? In med school applications it’s not really an either/or thing as far as grades and MCAT scores. It is important that you do really well on the MCAT to have a chance at acceptance . Have you taken a MCAT diagnostic test? What was that score? The average GPA for DO students is 3.54 while the average MCAT score is 504 So keep those stats in mind as you move forward.

No need to apologize. I was only going off what you said in your OP. Your clinical experiences sound fine. What do you have in nonclinical volunteering -serving the unserved/underserved in your community? When are you planning to take the MCAT? In med school applications it’s not really an either/or thing as far as grades and MCAT scores. It is important that you do really well on the MCAT to have a chance at acceptance . Have you taken a MCAT diagnostic test? What was that score? The average GPA for DO students is 3.54 while the average MCAT score is 504 So keep those stats in mind as you move forward.
Non-clinical volunteering was done through my undergrad through a club on campus in which we volunteered at the Chicago marathon handing out drinks etc and also at food banks and shelters. MCAT is planned for jan 25 2022 and I will begin studying in August so have not taken a diagnostic yet.

Reactions: 1 user