WAMC? 3.54 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA, 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Peanutbutter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to SDN and I'm planning on applying to med school in the upcoming cycle (starting June 2019). I am currently only considering MD schools for a number of reasons, the main one being that I am worried about residency placement as a DO compared to MD. I originally wanted to go into Biotech/Pharma but my clinical research jobs have changed my mind about healthcare and so I want to apply to med schools. I'm planning on applying to MD schools and a few SMP's if I don't get into MD schools and reapplying after I get my Masters. I was hoping someone could do a WAMC on me given the follow information?

Sex: Male
Race: White
Home State: NY (Syracuse)
Education: Private Liberal Arts college, BA in Biochemistry (2016). Did a semester abroad at the University of St Andrews in Scotland and also took Physics I/II with labs at another private college near my hometown over one summer
cGPA: ~3.54 using the ACMAS adjuster I found on SDN, had some issues sophomore year dealing with stress of Orgo/Bio at the same time (got a B- in Orgo and a C in Bio, but A's in both labs. That was my only C in college) and several deaths in the family but steadily improved over time. GPA last semester of college was a 3.8. Since Graduating, I've taken a few upper level bio courses at community college while working full time and gotten A's in them.
sGPA: ~3.53
MCAT: 516 (129/129/129/129)
Specialty Interests: Pediatrics, NICU, OB/GYN
LOR: Hematologist from MSK, Supervisor from MSK, Endodontist from Syacuse, Alumni Association President from my college, research adviser from college, chem teacher I had 5 classes with in college, philosophy professor from my abroad program.

Research:
-3100 hr of independent chemistry research in college, won't be published by the time I submit apps but will hopefully be submitted for peer review/publishing
-3500 hr of clinical research experience coordinating patient management, data management, and regulatory compliance for sponsored clinical trials in Leukemia at Sloan Kettering. Worked 1-2 days a week in clinic/inpatient floor having direct patient contact
-1200 hr of clinical research at NYU in Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine. No direct pt contact but a lot of work initiating and maintaining clinical trials.
-Hoping to get my CCRP certificate once I qualify (August of this year)

Volunteer:
-250 hours volunteering in an Emergency department at St. Joseph's in Syracuse in 2014
-350 hours volunteering in cardiology and neurosurgery floors at Upstate Hospital in 2011 (may be too old but I'm wondering if I should include it for my app because Upstate is one of my top schools)
-300-350 hours miscellaneous volunteering in college at food cupboards, animal shelters, other local charities
-Hoping to become more involved in after my apps are done. I'm planning on volunteering for planned parenthood and a few family/children-oriented charities in NYC.

Shadowing:
-50-100 hours shadowing a cardiologist in Syracuse
-500+ hours shadowing endodontists and oral surgeons in a dentist office in Syracuse (worked there intermittently over summers from 2009-2014 so exact # of hours shadowing is tricky to nail down)
-1300 hours shadowing hematologists and nurses in clinic at Sloan Kettering

Work Experience:
-3500 hr working at Sloan Kettering
-1200 hr working in clinical research at NYU in Pulmonary, Sleep Medicine, and Critical Care
-5 summers working in a dentist office (cleaned instruments and operating rooms, helped prep charts, did some shadowing)
-Misc: Worked at J Crew, was a camp counselor at a music camp for a few years

Leadership:
Held many, many leadership roles in the groups that I was in in college (Tour Manager and Assistant Leader of my a Capella group, Head Director of musical theater club, was philanthropy chair and secretary of my fraternity, gave presentations at admissions to prospective students at my college). I was recognized for my leadership by being inducted into my school's senior honors society for leaders (26 get in out of 800), and did a lot of service as part of this group. Planning on featuring my leadership roles heavily in my apps.

I have a ranked list of schools that I'm applying to:
  1. Georgetown
  2. UVM
  3. Upstate (legacy, if that matters)
  4. Tufts
  5. George Washington
  6. UMass
  7. Thomas Jefferson
  8. Downstate
  9. New York Medical College
  10. Quinnipiac
  11. Boston University (legacy, if that matters)
  12. Brown
  13. Geisinger Commonwealth
  14. Buffalo
  15. Stonybrook
  16. Temple
  17. UConn
  18. Drexel
  19. Chicago, Rosalind Franklin
  20. Wake Forest
  21. Albany
  22. Penn State
  23. Hofstra
  24. Virginia Tech
  25. Rush
  26. Rutgers
  27. Rochester
  28. Cooper
  29. Tulane
  30. Arizona, Tuscon

This is a lot of info to sift through (sorry if any of it is extraneous!) but if someone could take a look and think what my chances are/if they have suggestions to make my app more competitive, I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Rutgers, UMass, UConn accept few non residents with no connections to the state. You should receive several interviews from your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Rutgers, UMass, UConn accept few non residents with no connections to the state. You should receive several interviews from your list.
Great, thank you! I wasn't sure about the "state schools" in other states so thanks for letting me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone else had any thoughts/suggestions for me

Oakland William Beaumont, and Case Western are worth adding. Especially Case with all the research you have.

Your background indicates a focus on research rather than patient care interaction like a general care physician. For obvious reasons your best bet is to apply at research heavy MD schools as already identified. As for your GPA, the MCAT is already strong, but you need to carefully address why the GPA is low using a positive spin on how much you learned about yourself, time management, and improved your study skills.