WAMC 3.58 GPA | 520 MCAT Research Heavy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Looking for some advice on my school list given my lower GPA and high MCAT. Looking for schools with lots of research opportunities. Thanks!

1. 3.56 sGPA, 3.60 cumulative GPA
2. 520 MCAT
3. NY residency, CA ties
4. Asian
5. T20 undergrad
6. 450 hours clinical volunteering, 200 paid clinical
7. 7000 hours research, 2 first author (mid impact), 3 middle author

Reach
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Cornell
Mayo Clinic
Mount Sinai
Stanford
UChicago
UCSF
NYU Grossman Long Island

Target
Brown
Dartmouth
Drexel
Emory
Oregon Health and Science
Rutgers
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
University of Massachusetts
USC
New York Medical College
Ohio State University
Renaissance School of Medicine
SUNY Downstate
Albany Medical College

Safety
Rush Medical College
Chicago Medical School
Jacobs School of Medicine
Temple University
 
Describe your research. If you want research, you should apply MSTP or MD/PhD, especially with 7000+ hours of research and zero listed community service. This means your file in jeopardy of being screened out at most schools. I'd argue all of your safeties would exclude you with zero service orientation hours. Rush expects hundreds to thousands of hours working in the community, especially in social services.

NYU Long Island doesn't really align with your research-focused desires. Oregon probably won't look at you due to geographical preferences.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have any in person physician shadowing hours? Do you have any non clinical volunteering activities (and how many hours)

I have 40 hours, about an even split between primary care, oncology, and neurology. Also spent about 200 hours of my 450 at a hospital working exclusively front desk, but not sure if that counts towards non-clinical.
 
Last edited:
Describe your research. If you want research, you should apply MSTP or MD/PhD, especially with 7000+ hours of research and zero listed community service. This means your file in jeopardy of being screened out at most schools. I'd argue all of your safeties would exclude you with zero service orientation hours. Rush expects hundreds to thousands of hours working in the community, especially in social services.

NYU Long Island doesn't really align with your research-focused desires. Oregon probably won't look at you due to geographical preferences.
I want to apply MD only because an MD/PhD takes too long. I would almost be 40 by the time all of my training is complete. My intention is to become an oncologist who also participates in research. Something like an 80/20 split. Currently on my 3rd gap year doing clinical oncology (work partially with patients when they come in, but mostly focused on data analysis and wet lab work). Excluding heavily service-based schools is a good idea, but I would struggle to rack up any non-clinical volunteering hours given that I already volunteer 8 hours a week at a different hospital and have an irregular work schedule.

I considered adding Long Island because of the free tuition and OHSU because I believe they have a research-focused track as one of their mission statements, but not too sure what OOS admissions look like with them.
 
Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews, especially at top tier schools and also Rush (they expect many hundreds of hours). Some schools screen at 150 hours. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
UMass
Tufts
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Methodist
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Belmont
Alice Walton
TCU
Roseman
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Iowa
Colorado
U Illinois