WAMC (3.6, 505, strong/unique ECs!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cococlare0304

Reaction score
Please read past my garbage MCAT score!! I need advice on whether I could apply this cycle, or if I should retake the MCAT. Thanks for any advice!!
  • cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.39 , 505 (126/128/123/128), not URM, IL resident
  • double major in neurobio and russian language
    • In addition to Russian major, was selected for intensive, accelerated 4-yr russian program funded by dept. of defense., incl. 8wk study in Moscow, and 2 semesters in Kazakhstan (lived with a family both times 100% immersion), now certified fluent in Russian by FBI defense language institute. I also received a Boren scholarship for this program (similar to fulbright)
    • Program in KZ included internship at cardiological hospital, where I shadowed cardiologists/surgeons, helped w vitals, pt transport, typing up records (~200 hrs)
  • 3.5 yr research in radiation oncology lab, over 5,000 hrs, largely independent, 3 publications as co-author (1 Intl Journal of Rad Onc, 2 Molecular Cancer Therapeutics), presented at AACR annual meeting two years, received competitive university research fellowship for independent project
  • 2 yrs as lab assistant in pathology lab for cancer center
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 200 hours cardiac hospital unpaid internship
    • 50 hours US hospital volunteering
    • EMT cert included 20 hrs of ER clinical experience/shadowing doctors
    • Anticipated EMT work during gap year and boosting hospital volunteering
  • Shadowing: 20 hours OR shadowing of ENT surgeon, 20 hours ER shadowing, 200 hrs cardiologist shadowing in KZ (I’m aware these hrs are probably irrelevant here)
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 80 hours mixed volunteering through pre-med society, 50 hours tutoring ESL college students, 50 hours humane society, anticipated 200 hours of crisis text line counseling
  • Other ECs:
    • co-founded campus chapter of a national org supporting TBI survivors and going to elementary schools to teach kids about wearing helmets
    • On committee for pre-med honors society
  • LORs: PI from first lab (he is an MD, VERY strong letter), director/advisor of Russian program, not sure on third
  • Family members in medicine: no
Schools: Rosalind franklin, loyola, Illinois, SIU, UW, MCW, Indiana, Rush, Michigan State, Quinnipiac, Nova, Temple, DO: Midwestern

***My ultimate goal is to be able to return to a former Soviet country as a commissioned corps doctor for the CDC or a similar role. I really want to work with underserved (possibly rural) and/or international populations, specifically the Russian-speaking community. I plan on talking about my experience with Russian for the majority of my PS.

Clearly my issue is my MCAT - I disproportionately invested my time in Russian and research, particularly in the months leading up to the MCAT. However, I’m hoping my ECs demonstrate my commitment to the field and dedication to my specific goals. (although I am concerned the 123 on bio will rule me out of pretty much everything)
Do I have a chance with any MD schools given my research and ECs? Am I even a competitive applicant for DO? What are some schools that would value my specific ECs and goals and potentially overlook my mcat? I am considering retaking the MCAT as I am confident I could raise my score at least 10 points if I studied more.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could receive MD interviews and consider adding Drexel, TCU-UNT, Oakland Beaumont, Creighton. Your best chances are DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)

You could receive MD interviews and consider adding Drexel, TCU-UNT, Oakland Beaumont, Creighton. Your best chances are DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Thank you! My only worry going into DO apps is that I don't have any relationships with a DO, and given COVID I won't be able to shadow one and get a LOR from one.

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
I'm also now realizing I don't have the 6 cr of English prereq that most DO programs require