WAMC 3.6 CA ORM reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonypadfootprongs

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state or region. Also several reaches. I suggest these schools from your list:
Boston
Tufts
George Washington
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic (didn't apply last cycle)
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Dartmouth
Georgetown
USC
Temple
MCW
Ohio State
Sidney Kimmel
U Cincinnati
U Iowa
U Miami
UPitt
U Rochester
Wake Forest
TCU/UNTHSC
Kaiser
Vermont
Penn State
U Colorado
Indiana
I suggest adding all these schools:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Seton Hall
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user
As the learned Faha pointed out, you gave a bunch of donations away.

This cycle, apply early, but I think that you'll also be served well by getting in more hours of service to others less fortunate than yourself. Meals on Wheels is doable now, as is volunteering at food banks.

I suggest the following. Invest in MSAR Online and remove those schools where your GPAs are < their 10th %iles, especially the OOS public schools.

ALL UCs, but UCR ONLY IF you're from the Inland Empire
USF Morsani (maybe)
U IA
U ILL
U MA
Mt Sinai
U VA
Mayo (maybe)
Case (maybe)
NYU-LI
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
BU
Pitt
U WI
U Cincy
U CO
U VM
OH State
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM
Kaiser
As insurance, because you're not in your second cycle, add some DO schools if you get no IIs by October. Suggest Both Westerns,. PacNW, Touro-CA, TUNCOM and AZCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
So how much networking have you done before your first application? Obviously you had some for feedback to this one, but that's it? We're also missing information about what you did since you graduated from undergrad. It's not really that clear to me if all you did was tutor and clinical research.

@Goro some of my clinical experience (at a free clinic, ~700 hrs) is with mostly underserved patient population and some of my non-clinical volunteering is with an org serving the underserved ~30 hrs and another org ~70 hrs (and counting) working to provide free health services/health advocacy - do you think these experiences are adequate or do you think it is still a weak point in my application and I should pick up a volunteer activity specifically working with the underserved?

Also, NYU-LI, on your school list recommendations, should I still apply to this if my application/experiences is geared towards specialty fields and not the primary care fields this program requires you to commit to?

Thank you Goro and @Faha for your feedback!
You can't double dip with the underserved. Clinical experience and non-clinical displays of altruism are both sought after. The clinical experience is for you....it's to show you what you're getting into and make you determine if really want to be around sick people.

With NYU.LI, that's your call. Your eventual specialty is up to you.

@Mr.Smile12
I'm not sure what you mean by networking, but I had my application looked at before my first cycle by my undergrad pre-med advisor and another pre-med advisor. For the 2019-2020 cycle that was unsuccessful, I've only gotten feedback from one medical school so far (detailed in my initial post) and I am currently reaching out to other medical schools that provide feedback.

Thank you!

Last edited:
@Mr.Smile12 I have attended many med school information and recruitment fairs and admissions presentations, in-person and virtual. I didn't have the opportunity to receive specific feedback about my application at any of these, I only got general info about schools.