WAMC: 3.97 GPA, 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm1000

Reaction score
-sGPA: 3.97

-MCAT: 513
  • C/P: 128
  • CARS: 126 :(
  • B/B: 130
  • P/S: 129
-Florida Resident (ties to CA my dad lives there)

-Hispanic/White/First generation student/Low SES

-Undergrad at Florida public university

-Clinical experience:
  • Volunteering: 200 hours as an MA
  • Paid: 1200 hours as a scribe in an ED
-Shadowing:
  • Family practice: 90 hours
  • Rural ED: 40 hours
  • Surgery: 30 hours
-Non-clinical volunteering: 120 hours
-Research:
  • Two posters
  • One poster proposal was entered into a research symposium where we presented it and came in third
  • not much tbh lol
-Leadership:
  • Shift lead for 1000 hours at a restaurant
-Will spend my gap year at my new job as an MA at an orthopedic clinic
-Part of a metal band for the past four years

-School list:
  • Albany, FAU, EVMS, FIU, FSU, Georgetown, Kaiser, USC, Temple, NYMC, NSU, Ohio, Tufts, UCSF, UCF, UF, Miami, USF, VCU, Wake Forest, Penn State, SUNY downstate and upstate (donation ik)

Finished up my secondaries and am feeling a bit neurotic! Thanks for any advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive several interviews from the schools you applied to. If you want to add schools consider these:
Einstein
Drexel
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
TCU
George Washington
Creighton
St. :Louis

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly did you do? What's your mission fit?
I volunteered at a wellness office at my college and led educational seminars on various health-related topics along with helping to run a free food pantry that they maintained. We also acted as a mediator for many students and helped to connect them with whatever on or off-campus resources we could find, along with many other responsibilities. Regarding my mission fit, I aim to focus my work as a physician on working in underserved areas to help address the many health inequities they face. This desire is based on my own experiences growing up and what I encountered throughout my clinical experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
You should receive several interviews from the schools you applied to. If you want to add schools consider these:
Einstein
Drexel
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
TCU
George Washington
Creighton
St. :Louis
Thank you for your confidence and input! I definitely am considering adding a few if I can find the budget for it.

I volunteered at a wellness office at my college and led educational seminars on various health-related topics along with helping to run a free food pantry that they maintained. We also acted as a mediator for many students and helped to connect them with whatever on or off-campus resources we could find, along with many other responsibilities. Regarding my mission fit, I aim to focus my work as a physician on working in underserved areas to help address the many health inequities they face. This desire is based on my own experiences growing up and what I encountered throughout my clinical experiences.
Keep doing this with at least another 30-50 hours to get above the 150-hour threshold most schools consider for service orientation. You probably won't be screened out because of the nature of your work, but understand other applicants will have at least twice the number of hours that you have to emphasize their intended purpose further to work with underserved, marginalized communities. Service-oriented schools will want at least 500 hours, and some closer to 1000.

Keep doing this with at least another 30-50 hours to get above the 150-hour threshold most schools consider for service orientation. You probably won't be screened out because of the nature of your work, but understand other applicants will have at least twice the number of hours that you have to emphasize their intended purpose further to work with underserved, marginalized communities. Service-oriented schools will want at least 500 hours, and some closer to 1000.
Unfortunately, I graduated so I no longer am able to volunteer at that office but I recently started volunteering at a food kitchen on the weekends to keep building up hours. Is this something I should send updates to schools about? Also, my volunteer work as a medical assistant involved working at a clinic that served primarily marginalized communities. Would these hours be factored into my service orientation overall? Thank you for all your help so far!

Unfortunately, I graduated so I no longer am able to volunteer at that office but I recently started volunteering at a food kitchen on the weekends to keep building up hours. Is this something I should send updates to schools about? Also, my volunteer work as a medical assistant involved working at a clinic that served primarily marginalized communities. Would these hours be factored into my service orientation overall? Thank you for all your help so far!
You can update after 100 hours per activity, but you will be assessed with what you submit. It helps if you continued food pantry work without being related to your college student status, so after working at least 50 hours there.