WAMC 3.81 GPA, 521 MCAT (3x)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ghermione1900

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I’m planning to apply MD-only in the 2027–2028 cycle. I would appreciate an honest assessment of my application, particularly how schools may view my slightly low-ish GPA, MCAT history, and gap-year timeline. I would also appreciate advice on my school list. I realize it may be somewhat top-heavy, but I would like to take a reasonable shot at several T20 programs while maintaining enough realistic options. Thank you!

Academics
  • CA ORM
  • Graduated from a T20 in 3 years (taking 2 gap years, applying after 1st gap year)
  • cGPA: 3.81
  • sGPA: 3.78
  • MCAT: 501 → 501 → 521 (130/128/131/132)
    • The two 501 attempts were approximately one year before the 521
Clinical
  • EMT: 315 hours (more during gap year)
  • MA (internal medicine & gastro): 150 hours
  • Hospital volunteer: 175 hours
Research
  1. 2 years of clinical research at a major academic center: 800 hours
    • Worked on 2 papers and 1 case report
    • 2 poster presentations
  2. Research project through my undergrad department (2-3 months): 300 hours
    • Literature synthesis on nonvisual communication in hospital settings for deaf/blind OR staff
Output
  • One first-author peer-reviewed IJMS publication involving cannabinoids and cancer (worked on it during high school, but published during undergrad)
  • Two poster presentations during undergrad
  • Case report from undergrad may potentially be published (but uncertain)
  • Potential publications during gap year
Nonclinical service
  • Assisted-living facility volunteer: 200 hours
  • English tutor for underserved students in Guatemala: 200 hours, ongoing
  • Meals on Wheels Community Connections volunteer: 50 hours, ongoing
  • Food distribution volunteer: 100 hours
  • Homeless Shelter donation organizer: 100 hours, ongoing
  • Undergrad laboratory TA: 450 hours
Shadowing
  • ~100 hours across pulmonology, surgery, oncology, critical care and primary care
Gap-year Plan: Full-time CRC position at a major academic center beginning in October (~1300 hrs by application submission?) & part-time event EMT (~300 hrs). I may have an opportunity to contribute to an abstract, poster or manuscript through the CRC position.

Main concerns/questions
  1. How will schools view two 501 attempts from the prior year followed by a 521?
  2. Is my clinical experience sufficient, particularly because my primary gap-year position will be research-classified?
  3. What general range of schools should I target when building a balanced list?
Potential School List (?):

Reach:
UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, UChicago, Icahn, WashU, Mayo, Columbia, Yale, Vanderbilt, UPenn, Northwestern, NYU, UMich, Einstein

Target: UCSD, UCI, USC Keck, Kaiser, Pitt, Case Western, Emory, UVA, Brown, Dartmouth, Boston, Hofstra, Tufts, Colorado, Miami, Jefferson, Georgetown, George Washington, Creighton, St Louis

Low Target / Baseline: UC Davis, UC Riverside, CUSM, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Wake Forest, Penn State, Albany, Drexel, Temple, Quinnipiac, Tulane, Virginia Tech, UMD, University of Wisconsin
 
Previous advice:

The relatively low number of clinical hours still sticks out to me, and I think you had about a year to build this.

While your three MCAT scores may be averaged on screening for many schools, that 521 is going to help you a lot. Again, the clinical hours stand out to me.

Have you reached out to your desired schools on your list? What are your X-factors for some of the brand-name schools on your list?
 
Previous advice:

The relatively low number of clinical hours still sticks out to me, and I think you had about a year to build this.

While your three MCAT scores may be averaged on screening for many schools, that 521 is going to help you a lot. Again, the clinical hours stand out to me.

Have you reached out to your desired schools on your list? What are your X-factors for some of the brand-name schools on your list?

Yes, I had initially planned on applying this cycle, but I thought I could improve my hours first. I did try to get more EMT hours over the past year, but it was difficult to get consistent shifts at my company 🙁 I’ll be getting ~300 hrs as an EMT during my gap year (hopefully more), along with some patient-facing clinical exposure through my CRC job. How many clinical hours would you recommend aiming for to feel comfortable with my current school list? I also haven’t reached out to schools directly yet. I don’t think I have one specific X-factor, but I think the combo of my research and clinical experience, along with longitudinal service (which is mainly focused on elderly and underserved student populations)? Would you have any recommendations on what else I could improve?
 
Last edited: