WAMC 4.0, 521 MCAT, Non-US Citizen

Started by chip1012
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chip1012

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a non-US citizen who immigrated to the US when I was younger. Super nervous about applying next application cycle because I will be considered an international, and I know how difficult it can be. I am a rising junior. I have already taken the MCAT.

1. 4.0 sGPA and cGPA

2. 521 MCAT (132 Psych Soc, 130 Chem Phys, 129 Cars, 130 Bio, Biochem)

3. Indian Citizenship, technically a GA resident

4. Indian

5. Small Liberal Arts College

6. Clinical Experience: Podiatry Clinic MA (200 Hours), Volunteer Clinic MA (gives free care) (400 hours), Hospice Volunteering (100 hours)

7.Research Experience: Neuroscience research (Main lab)-600 hours so far, 1 publication, 3 poster presentations, Summer research program at Vandy (same general topic as main lab), Remote research with a professor at Cornell (also same general topic as main lab), Clinical research assistant (patient-facing)

8. 50 hours shadowing (Cardiology, Family Med, Gastro)

9. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours with my school's service org (also a board member), 300 hours with Kesem (Board member), Mentorship coordinator (connect undergrads to med students at my school)

10. Passion project (public health outreach related to/inspired by my research)-received nominations and acceptances to 2 fellowships through this project, Chemistry SI

11. Received the top freshman award, Stamps Scholar (full ride + stipend)-very competitive, 2 fellowships

12. First-gen, low-income, immigrated to the US from Africa
 
Your non-clinical volunteering experience leans on leadership and not on service orientation. How many hours and what responsibilities are you directly involved helping community members with social service (not health) needs?
The passion project is addiction/peer pressure, we essentially do outreach to younger students in the local area. We do programming to teach them about addiction, and work with mentors to provide longitudinal support. I've worked on this for about 250 hours, reaching about 50 kids through an afterschool program, specifically focusing on kids with fewer resources. I started this project in my freshman year and received a grant to begin.
 
Your non-clinical volunteering experience leans on leadership and not on service orientation. How many hours and what responsibilities are you directly involved helping community members with social service (not health) needs?
Also, with my on-campus leadership roles, I have raised funds for children in hospitals, the commitee that I led raised $15,000 this year. I also helped program service events for my school's service org