WAMC 3.82/518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flutacious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Year in school: Graduating May 2020 in BME
  • Country/state of residence Virginia
  • Schools to which you are applying: Definitely state schools (UVA, VCU, etc), interested in programs in urban areas where interest in public health is valued. Need help determining what balance of top schools and mid-tier schools would be feasible (hoping to apply to ~25 schools)
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.82
  • Science GPA: 3.75
  • MCAT Scores: 518
  • Research - 3.5 years at school, total of about 750 hours (no pubs, 2 major conferences)
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: 50 hrs GI, 10 hrs cardiothoracic surgery
  • Clinical volunteering: 500 hrs in clinic for underserved populations
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hrs tutoring kids
  • Extracurricular activities: music, clubs (with leadership)
  • Employment history: TA + SAT prep (120 hrs), med device internship (500 hrs)
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N
  • Specialty of interest: undecided, very open to anything, but i'm constructing my PS around a focus of global/public health
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): N
  • Other: from T15 school with highly ranked engineering program

Members don't see this ad.

I think you look good enough for your in-state options (I'd apply to all your MD options and VCOM for security/backup) given your metrics. You have a good shot at private OOS schools, so pick those which have special tracks or experiences in PH.

thanks! follow up question for anyone... if i highlight my engineering experience and interest in public health in my PS/app, do i risk turning off adcoms at schools that don't explicitly favor these? is alignment with mission statement that big of a deal

I suggest adding these schools to your application:
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
Duke
Tulane
St. Louis
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein