WAMC 3.82/524

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade12

Reaction score
Hello! Would appreciate any feedback on my list for the upcoming cycle since I'm not really sure what to be aiming for. Also I'm maybe considering a gap year but unsure if I need one. Thanks!

State/Country of Residence: PA

Ties to other States/Regions: no

URM: ORM female

Year in School: junior

Undergrad Institution: ivy

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): simultaneous biochemistry major and chemistry masters

Cumulative GPA: 3.82

Science GPA: 3.76 (strong upward trend)

MCAT Score: 524

Research Experience:

2000+ hrs, neurodegeneration, basic research
first author review in preparation, will have master's thesis by graduation

Clinical Experience:
~250 hours over 3 years at free clinic

Physician Shadowing:
10 hours, neurology (I know......covid)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
~80 hours delivering free food to families in need

Other Extracurricular Activities:
president of large gender focused org (comprised of ~20 student groups) (~600 hrs over 3 years)
facilitator for discussion group on race/gender (~100 hours over 2 years)
treasurer for org that trains/coordinates volunteer doulas (would be volunteering but covid) (~50 hours)
peer mentor (~ 30 hours)

Other Employment History:
~75 hours sexual/interpersonal violence educator

Immediate family members in medicine?: no
Specialty?: unsure, but maybe ob/gyn or primary care

Medical School List:
pitt
penn state
emory
temple
einstein
drexel
keck
jefferson
ohio state
stony brook
tufts
cincinnati
miami
hofstra

uchicago
northwestern
columbia
mt sinai
nyu
cornell
stanford
ucla
usf
yale
penn
wash u
case western

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you need a gap year. It would be nice to get more shadowing and clinical experience but it is what it is with covid. You're fine to apply anywhere and out of the list you've posted I would expect that you get a few interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is fine for your application.

You could try to up your non-clinical volunteering by application time, but otherwise your application is great both activities and stats wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t need gpa year. Why did you go for simultaneous grad program and took GPA hit? You may be yield protected by some schools in your list. My kid has similar profile as you but 3.99+ GPA (from T20 not Ivy) and has more success with T10s. How strong do you think your LORs be?

Thanks to everyone who replied! @Goro @Faha I was wondering if you had time to look over my school list and suggest some additions/schools to remove?