WAMC 3.85+/520 Indiana Resident- absolutely no research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylinechili

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.87
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 520: 131/128/129/132
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Indiana, Chicagoland suburbs
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM/Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UC, public, just graduated early so i have some time to add more to my app profile hopefully
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1500 hours ED scribe, 50 hours scribe for a free clinic serving the houseless
  7. Research experience and productivity: zero. most concerning part of application. currently applying to wet labs & psych/humanities labs.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 20 (nephro/surgery) -this category needs more work for sure
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: very heavy on volunteer hours(i think?)-100 hrs volunteer + 250 hours leadership (director position) of nonprofit, 100 hours tutoring for disadvantaged students, 100 hrs food bank (including nutrition education), 100 hrs VP of healthcare org focused on free BLS classes and access to healthcare training for civilians. 75 hrs food not bombs volunteer serving houseless community. 100 hours TEDx conference director (responsible for finances, grant writing, fund obtaining, logistics and coordinating services to execute event).
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 400 hours gen chem tutor/TA, 300 hours AmeriCorps summer service focused on food access. Gap year/currently: scribe/clinic manager for primary care clinic focusing on medically underserved community + MCAT tutor for prep company. Would like to add more shadowing and research.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: nothing :(
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: considering putting off my application cycle for another year to gain research experience and see if I can build relationships for stronger LORs as my school's advising said I am uncompetitive as of right now. Unfortunately, I really don't want to take another gap year and I just want to get into medical school, not really concerned if it is a T20 or not so most of the t20s on my current list are total YOLOs. Would be thrilled with any acceptance or a mid tier acceptance. Strong service narrative (I think) and I'm passionate about improving social determinants of health and education access. PS is currently centered around forming connections with the community I serve. Very set on primary care as of now. Biggest problem I think for me is decent stats but mediocre application profile otherwise, especially with lack of research and iffy LORs as of now and would like to add some more suitable mid-tiers that I hopefully won't get yield protected out of.
Current school list:
1. IU (State school)
2. Rush
3. UChicago
4. Loyola
5. Northwestern (hoping to replace this one with something more feasible and less reachy)
6. Wisconsin Madison (rural medicine initiative is cool)
7. UMich
8. Iowa-Carver
9. Michigan State
10. Ohio State
11. WashU St. Louis
12. Vanderbilt
13. Emory
14. Tulane
15. Miami Miller
16. USF Morsani
17. Yale (lol)
18. Harvard (lol)
19. Georgetown
20. Johns Hopkins (lol, would probably wanna replace this with something more feasible also)
21. Mayo (lol)
22. Wake Forest
23. Pitt
24. Boston U (really like their focus on underserved demographics in medicine)
25. Arizona Phoenix
26. Kaiser
27. Keck
28. UCLA
29. UCSD or UCSF (one of either or possibly neither)
30. CUSM
31. Mount Sinai ? (maybe not either)
*california schools are due to UG in california

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your stats. Also your lack of research will decrease your chances at some top tier schools that value research. I suggest these schools from your list:
1. IU (State school)
2. Rush
3. UChicago
4. Loyola
5. Northwestern (hoping to replace this one with something more feasible and less reachy)
7. UMich
8. Iowa-Carver
10. Ohio State
11. WashU St. Louis
12. Vanderbilt
13. Emory
14. Tulane
15. Miami Miller
16. USF Morsani
17. Yale (lol)
19. Georgetown
21. Mayo (lol)
23. Pitt
25. Arizona Phoenix
26. Kaiser
27. Keck
28. UCLA
29 UCSF
30. CUSM
31. Mount Sinai
You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Tufts

Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your stats. Also your lack of research will decrease your chances at some top tier schools that value research. I suggest these schools from your list:
1. IU (State school)
2. Rush
3. UChicago
4. Loyola
7. UMich
8. Iowa-Carver
10. Ohio State
11. WashU St. Louis
12. Vanderbilt
13. Emory
14. Tulane
15. Miami Miller
16. USF Morsani
17. Yale (lol)
19. Georgetown
21. Mayo (lol)
23. Pitt
25. Arizona Phoenix
26. Kaiser
27. Keck
28. UCLA
29 UCSF
30. CUSM
31. Mount Sinai
You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Tufts
Thank you Faha! Really appreciate your input-for einstein I originally had this school on my list, however their mission seemed very research focused so I crossed them off-is there a particularly reason to put it back on my school list? Thanks again!

Thank you Faha! Really appreciate your input-for einstein I originally had this school on my list, however their mission seemed very research focused so I crossed them off-is there a particularly reason to put it back on my school list? Thanks again!
Your stats are competitive for Einstein.