WAMC 3.9/511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spongebobdoc

Reaction score
Any help is appreciated!
1. 3.9cGPA and 3.82sGpa
2. 511 (129/125/128/129)
3. FL Resident
4. ORM Male
5. Decently ranked state school
6. Clinical Experience - 375 hrs at free clinic with leadership position and (I know this doesn't count as clinical, but like 70 hours volunteering at some hospital), 0 paid
7. Research - 70 hours in a wet lab that I couldn't continue in due to the location and 480 Hrs doing lit review with a poster presented
8. Shadowing -70 hours with Vasc surgeon
9. Around 850 hours of non clinical volunteering with leadership positions in 2 out of the three organizations I volunteered at(giving food to the homeless, tutoring underserved children, health education to underserved families, training disabled individuals at the gym) (really made my app revolve around some of this stuff)
10. VP of my cultural org (im middle eastern) 150 hrs, 50 TAing for chem prof
11. made my app narrative about helping the underserved (something I genuinely want to do) and seeing how the physician who founded the free clinic I worked at really helped me understand this was the best way to do so (by becoming a physician). I submitted all secondaries around end of july to beginning of august at the latest.
School list:
All of Florida (MD)
Penn State
Indiana
West Virginia
Temple
Drexel
Loyola
Central Mich
Albany
Wake Forest
Rosalind
GW
East Virginia
Vermont
Tulane (donation lowkey)
Nova DO (only DO I applied with 1 II thankfully)

So far: 0 MD II 1 DO II

Members don't see this ad.

When are you applying/ did you submit an application?

Clinical hours seem low. Shadowing a vascular surgeon as your only experience here: how does this align with your mission? Serving underserved populations doesn't make you stand out given your hours. If you did Americorps or took a gap, perhaps. I need a break down of the 850+ hours of your community service

Did your cross-reference your list with the AMMSA chapter list?

You might get an II later on. Keep up your hopes and trust the process.

Last edited:
I apologize! I submitted an app late june and had all secondaries done end of july and beginning of august. Was just wondering if there's anything on my app that stands out that I need to fix. First thing that comes to mind is diversity in shadowing and paid clinical experience, but let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad :)

Clinical hours seem low. Shadowing a vascular surgeon as your only experience here: how does this align with your mission? Serving underserved populations doesn't make you stand out given your hours. If you did Americorps or took a gap, perhaps. I need a break down of the 850+ hours of your community service

Did your cross-reference your list with the AMMSA chapter list?

You might get an II later on. Keep up your hopes and trust the process.
I definitely struggled to find shadowing opportunities so it was more of a "I'll take what I can get". I've shadowed a couple primary care doctors this semester that I plan on telling certain FL schools in update letters once I start a clinical job I have lined up and rack hours there.
Breakdown of 850 hours: 350 w/ leadership at org that trains disabled individuals at the gym (free training sessions) 320 at org where I helped assemble and translate health education materials from english to arabic, org also provides tutoring services to underserved families. 180 hours at an org that serves food to the homeless on weekends.

Also, What's the AMMSA chapter list?

I've shadowed a couple primary care doctors this semester that I plan on telling certain FL schools in update letters once I start a clinical job I have lined up and rack hours there.
Do you know if the schools welcome updates? Starting something new doesn't help you. It gives me a reason to pass on your application. We see plenty who got this done (minimum 100 hours).

Do you know if the schools welcome updates? Starting something new doesn't help you. It gives me a reason to pass on your application. We see plenty who got this done (minimum 100 hours).
I’m pretty sure most do, but I definitely want to double check on their websites. Why does starting something new look bad in an update letter? Could you elaborate please?

I’m pretty sure most do, but I definitely want to double check on their websites. Why does starting something new look bad in an update letter? Could you elaborate please?
So many applicants have with their ducks in a row that starting something new in the middle of a cycle looks desperate or unprepared. We can't wait for all the applicants to "begin something new" because we have others that have established their competency.

Reactions: 1 user