WAMC 3.91/511 ORM school list help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynxpaca

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to draft my school list for this cycle, any help would be greatly appreciated!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.91/3.92
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 511 128/126/128/129
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): New York
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: fordham university (not religious myself)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. paid MA for an ophthalmologist for 5 years - ongoing - (~3500 hrs)
    2. hospital volunteer at neurology department (~40 hrs - started two months before Covid hit)
  7. Research experience and productivity:
    1. wet-lab biology research for a year - ongoing - (~500 hrs), no publication, no poster
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: none
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. co-coordinated an art and craft group at a transitional housing program for the mentally disabled - ongoing - (~70 hrs)
    2. virtually tutored high school students from Kenya on science subjects (i.e. chemistry, physics, and biology) (~50 hrs - also started not long before Covid)
    3. delivered food to home-bound elderly residents during the pandemic (23 hrs)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. was a commuter first-year mentor for one school year - provided guidance and planned events for first-year commuting students
  11. Relevant honors or awards: nothing other than Dean's list
  12. LOR
    1. 3 from science professors
    2. 1 from a humanity professor
    3. 2 from non-clinical work supervisors
    4. 1 from the ophthalmologist (MD) I'm working for
    5. 1 from the researcher I work with
  13. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. first-generation immigrant - used my language skill for my MA experience
    2. currently a junior in college, hoping to go straight in
    3. philosophy minor
    4. did work-study throughout college (not sure if I should add this to the extracurricular section)
I'm only aiming for MD, planning to apply to all the MD schools in New York (not sure if it's even worth it to try NYU so any insight on this would be great), but I'm not sure what other schools I should add to my list.

Also, I'm planning to apply to around 30 schools - is this a good number or should I add more?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia and Cornell are just as hard to get into as NYU. I’m not trying to offend or anything but chances are extremely low at these three, Sinai, and Rochester without some kind of hook (ie. Olympic athlete, nature first author, Founder of a nationwide nonprofit etc.) So if you apply to these five then you need to apply to more than 30.

You want to apply to 30 that are within your stats range plus or minus a reach here and there

Look at

Buffalo
Downstate
Upstate
Stony Brook
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GWU
Georgetown
Beaumont
Wayne State
Loyola
Geisinger
Rosalind
Creighton
Tulane
MCW

Columbia and Cornell are just as hard to get into as NYU. I’m not trying to offend or anything but chances are extremely low at these three, Sinai, and Rochester without some kind of hook (ie. Olympic athlete, nature first author, Founder of a nationwide nonprofit etc.) So if you apply to these five then you need to apply to more than 30.

You want to apply to 30 that are within your stats range plus or minus a reach here and there

Look at

Buffalo
Downstate
Upstate
Stony Brook
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GWU
Georgetown
Beaumont
Wayne State
Loyola
Geisinger
Rosalind
Creighton
Tulane
MCW
All is good!! This is good to know! I'm definitely not aiming for a top school so I'll probably keep my list down to one or two reach schools that I'm really interested in. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel