MD WAMC : 3.98 / 519 - Non Canadian International ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtroglodyte

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in my fourth year year and plan on applying to USMD schools the next cycle. I’m really concerned about my ECs primarily because I have zero clinical experience and shadowing. I was stuck in my home country freshman year( because I’m non-Canadian international) and my university was online for fall semester sophomore year- and that made getting clinical experience and other ECs hard .But I’m about to get some experience soon as I was able to secure a volunteering position in a hospital.

I’m sharing my current profile to get some advice on what I could do to maximise my odds of getting into an international friendly US MD school next cycle.

Also - what schools do you think I could get in with my current profile.

South Asian male ( ORM)

cGPA : 3.985 , ECs :

Research ~ 1000 + hours ( 600 last summer at a hospital’s research program - overall research focuses on global health / public health); Currently doing a thesis focusing on India’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Productivity : 3 late author publication in a mid/low impact journals, two first author posters at a university conferences, one first author poster at a hospital research program.

Non-Clinical Volunteering : Teaching underprivileged students in my home country ~ 300 hours + Volunteer at needle exchange in 250 hours

Clubs : Co-Editor-in-Chief & Founding member of university public health journal( second and third year ), exec for UNICEF club(only for third year), Co-President for Debate Society ( fourth year)

Internships : 200 hours of qualitative research over two months at a union of sex workers in India ; 3 months of a full time internship at a healthcare non- profit think tank in my country.

I’d love to get some feedback on my current profile - and understand what other activities I should optimise for. ( besides volunteering / shadowing )

It would also be useful to learn what med schools I might have a good shot at.

Members don't see this ad.

It would also be useful to learn what med schools I might have a good shot at.
You MCAT score will be huge in this. As an international student you should be mindful that only a few universities accept international students and most of them have high MCAT averages. Take time with the MCAT and crush it.
I’m about to get some experience soon as I was able to secure a volunteering position in a hospital.
Yes, without clinical experience your app is DOA, get on this ASAP and rack up hours. Also get at least 50 hours shadowing in the US before applying.

I've spent significant time outside of US and I've been asked why do I wish to practice in the US in interviews. Make sure you have a good answer. Also understand and be able to articulate who you want to serve and why. Be able to connect your international work to work you do in the US.

Reactions: 3 users
You MCAT score will be huge in this. As an international student you should be mindful that only a few universities accept international students and most of them have high MCAT averages. Take time with the MCAT and crush it.

Yes, without clinical experience your app is DOA, get on this ASAP and rack up hours. Also get at least 50 hours shadowing in the US before applying.

I've spent significant time outside of US and I've been asked why do I wish to practice in the US in interviews. Make sure you have a good answer. Also understand and be able to articulate who you want to serve and why. Be able to connect your international work to work you do in the US.

I have a 519 , do you think that’s good enough

Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows really. You have some gaping holes in your application that will hold you back and the MCAT might just get ignored.(It’s a good score but international students are expected to be superstars. ) Unless you fix the deficiencies hold off applying for a cycle or two. Is your nonclinical volunteering in the USA? Teaching and tutoring is under a separate category . Is your upcoming clinical volunteering in the US, what will you be doing and what about shadowing?

Reactions: 1 user
International student here! 6 IIs with a 516. Your MCAT is great so don't let that hold you back. Focus on strengthening the rest of your application; especially the aspects that you think are weak. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Who knows really. You have some gaping holes in your application that will hold you back and the MCAT might just get ignored.(It’s a good score but international students are expected to be superstars. ) Unless you fix the deficiencies hold off applying for a cycle or two. Is your nonclinical volunteering in the USA? Teaching and tutoring is under a separate category . Is your upcoming clinical volunteering in the US, what will you be doing and what about shadowing?

My volunteering with the needle exchange is in Canada ( I go to a Canadian University ). My clinical volunteering is going to be in Canada, I will probably be working in an emergency room.

Get the list of schools that take more than 3 Canadians from MSAR, and attend their recruitment events. Ask about whether US experience is necessary. If you are going for global health, read the recent SDN articles on the topic.

With good writing, yes. What you need to correct is clinical. Get at least 150 hours before you apply (and project more) or consider applying in another year with sufficient clinical hours.