This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConserveLife4future

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Albany
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Beaumont
Wayne
Creighton
Nova MD
Drexel
Geisinger
Temple
Jefferson
SLU
MCW
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind
Einstein
Wake Forest
GWU
EVMS
VCU
UVM
UCI
USC
UCSD

No, you should not mention the circumstances leading up to the MCAT. You will get interviews if you apply to these schools. Based upon your description (prestige is important), I can only see you not getting in if you apply too top heavy. If you’re “T20 or bust”, I would apply but be studying for the MCAT. i believe that 510 is below the 10 percentile for most T20s, but you have a unique story so it’s possible. Stats usually determine school tier—ECs are needed to clinch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Albany
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Beaumont
Wayne
Creighton
Nova MD
Drexel
Geisinger
Temple
Jefferson
SLU
MCW
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind
Einstein
Wake Forest
GWU
EVMS
VCU
UVM
UCI
USC
UCSD

No, you should not mention the circumstances leading up to the MCAT. You will get interviews if you apply to these schools. Based upon your description (prestige is important), I can only see you not getting in if you apply too top heavy. If you’re “T20 or bust”, I would apply but be studying for the MCAT. i believe that 510 is below the 10 percentile for most T20s, but you have a unique story so it’s possible. Stats usually determine school tier—ECs are needed to clinch.
@voxveritatisetlucis
Thank you so much. This is incredibly helpful. I will do just that. Do you think if I end up having ample extra time for secondaries, I could add UCD, UCR-have ties, CU of sciences and medicine, Virginia Tech( research heavy?), Dartmouth, Pittsburg(as reach-heard the mcat range is large), SUNY downstate( I have siblings living in NY), and Tulane, as additional schools ?

2. I know its frowned upon to discuss any excuses regarding the mcat, and I haven't mentioned anything in my secondary covid essays regarding the mcat, but I want your advice, wether given my situation it would be appropriate to mention that the circumstances of covid affected my ability to prepare substantially. or mention it indirectly, like " working full time detracted from my studying efforts during covid".
Explanations always sound like excuses. A 510 is a fine score, you have no need to explain it and no one will ask you about it either.

I suggest:
UCD
UCI
UCSF (maybe)
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Dartmouth (maybe)
Rochester (maybe)
U ILL
NYU-LI
Emory
Tufts
Jefferson
Nova MD
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Hackensack Meridian
TCU/UNT
Any DO program. Include PacNW. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Explanations always sound like excuses. A 510 is a fine score, you have no need to explain it and no one will ask you about it either.

I suggest:
UCD
UCI
UCSF (maybe)
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Dartmouth (maybe)
Rochester (maybe)
U ILL
NYU-LI
Emory
Tufts
Jefferson
Nova MD
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Hackensack Meridian
TCU/UNT
Any DO program. Include PacNW. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Thank you so much @Goro.
What do you think about adding these if time permits: CU of sciences and medicine, Virginia Tech( research heavy?), Pittsburg(as reach-heard the mcat range is large), SUNY downstate( I have siblings living in NY), and Tulane, as additional schools ?

@voxveritatisetlucis
Thank you so much. This is incredibly helpful. I will do just that. Do you think if I end up having ample extra time for secondaries, I could add UCD, UCR-have ties, CU of sciences and medicine, Virginia Tech( research heavy?), Dartmouth, Pittsburg(as reach-heard the mcat range is large), SUNY downstate( I have siblings living in NY), and Tulane, as additional schools ?
Those are good adds. Pitt likes people who went to Ivys and seem to be less stat conscious than peer schools.

Thank you so much @Goro.
What do you think about adding these if time permits: CU of sciences and medicine, Virginia Tech( research heavy?), Pittsburg(as reach-heard the mcat range is large), SUNY downstate( I have siblings living in NY), and Tulane, as additional schools ?
Having relatives living somewhere is not a tie.

OOS public schools are also harder because they favor the home team, and you have to be > avg for them. So no to SUNY.DS

Va Tech has a bias for people in the Appalachian region. Plus a tiny class size.

You're < 10th %ile for Pitt and the higher up the food chain you want to climb, the slipperier it gets. They don't need the donation money.

CUSM is fine.

Having relatives living somewhere is not a tie.

OOS public schools are also harder because they favor the home team, and you have to be > avg for them. So no to SUNY.DS

Va Tech has a bias for people in the Appalachian region. Plus a tiny class size.

You're < 10th %ile for Pitt and the higher up the food chain you want to climb, the slipperier it gets. They don't need the donation money.

CUSM is fine.
That makes a lot of sense, superb insight as always. Thank you @Goro. In regards to Pitts, Looks like they are becoming more lenient on mcat, as their matriculation MCAT on MSAR 10th percentile is 507, and out of state accepted 10th is 508. their 25th percentile is 512. And I know GPA doesnt mean **** when it comes to tiers, once past 3.8, but do you think being above the 90th percentile for the GPA, can offset the mcat a little bit and make it a reasonable reach?
My app also seems fit with their mission and research resources

thank you again!

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State (large Middle Eastern Immigrant population in Detroit region)
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you fit their mission)
Kaiser
California University

Albany
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Beaumont
Wayne
Creighton
Nova MD
Drexel
Geisinger
Temple
Jefferson
SLU
MCW
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind
Einstein
Wake Forest
GWU
EVMS
VCU
UVM
UCI
USC
UCSD

He is below the 10th percentile for USC.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State (large Middle Eastern Immigrant population in Detroit region)
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you fit their mission)
Kaiser
California University
Thank you so much @Faha ! Do you think I could add USC, UCSF, UCSD, or any school that you think is appropriate as reaches if time permits ?
also, do you think it would be likely that I would receive interviews from the schools you listed ? Thank you again

He is below the 10th percentile for USC.
Hi @gyngyn, The 10th percentile matriculant, and out and In-state MCAT for all three at USC at the moment on MSAR is 509, Do you think I should go for it ? It also shows that Im way past their 90th percentile for GPA, as their gpa averages are pretty low, idk how much that will help, but looking at it right now,
Thank you again

Hi @gyngyn, The 10th percentile matriculant, and out and In-state MCAT for all three at USC at the moment on MSAR is 509, Do you think I should go for it ? It also shows that Im way past their 90th percentile for GPA, as their gpa averages are pretty low, idk how much that will help, but looking at it right now,
Thank you again
By golly, you are correct! Their 10th percentile has slipped.
It appears that they are much more tolerant of lower gpa's than other schools with a median of 517.
I'm not sure that fits your profile, but if you are a CA resident, it would be normal to apply to most of the CA schools (even with a stats mismatch).
On that note, please avoid Northstate.

By golly, you are correct! Their 10th percentile has slipped.
It appears that they are much more tolerant of lower gpa's than other schools with a median of 517.
I'm not sure that fits your profile, but if you are a CA resident, it would be normal to apply to most of the CA schools (even with a stats mismatch).
On that note, please avoid Northstate.
Will do :) thank you so much @gyngyn ! I read a post by you recently from years ago that said "Matriculants below the 10th percentile have something valuable in short supply", do you think it's possible I could fit that profile, at least for some schools ?

Thank you so much @Faha ! Do you think I could add USC, UCSF, UCSD, or any school that you think is appropriate as reaches if time permits ?
also, do you think it would be likely that I would receive interviews from the schools you listed ? Thank you again
You could receive interviews at any of the schools I listed. Prioritize those schools first. You can add reaches later and applicants with a 4.0 GPA are rare so some may interview you.

Will do :) thank you so much @gyngyn ! I read a post by you recently from years ago that said "Matriculants below the 10th percentile have something valuable in short supply", do you think it's possible I could fit that profile, at least for some schools ?
Hopefully, but it's hard to say how individuals (or individual schools) interpret "valuable!"

You could receive interviews at any of the schools I listed. Prioritize those schools first. You can add reaches later and applicants with a 4.0 GPA are rare so some may interview you.
Will do just that! thank you dearly for all your help @Faha ! this has been so relieving!