WAMC (511/3.71)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotasparkle

Reaction score
Hi, please don't be too hard on me, but I want to know if I'm being realistic with my list

cGPA: 3.71 (based on how my classes are going, I'm expecting to end with 3.77)
sGPA: 3.62 (expect 3.68)
MCAT: 511 (127/128/127/129)
SC resident, strong ties to FL
ORM
Institution: state school, not prestigious
Major: biochem Minors: genetics, biology

Clinical (paid)
  • Medical scribe in ER (620 hrs, 5 months)
  • CNA on cardiac telemetry unit (400 hrs, 9 months)
Clinical (volunteer)
  • Children's hospital (200 hrs, 2 years)
  • Crisis counselor (planned 200 hrs)
Non-Clinical Volunteering
  • Watch babies in my church's nursery (100 hrs, 1 year)
Research
  • Summer neuroimaging research program (350 hrs, 2 months)
  • Pathogen research center, focus on metabolism (710 hrs, 2 yrs)
    • poster presentation, will be completing departmental honors with thesis/poster, no pubs
Shadowing
  • 15 hrs with neurologist, 12 hrs with forensic pathologist, trying to get more with an ob/gyn currently
Leadership
  • Founded organization for women in pre-health at my college, president for two yrs, (500 hrs, 3 years total)
    • advocacy for women in medicine, and service to community
  • Pre-health ambassador (100 hrs, 1 year)
    • meet with pre-health students and prospective pre-health students for questions/recommendations, also help run events
  • Creative and communication leadership team member of christian org (160 hrs, 2 years)
    • help with social media, designing apparel, editing website, etc
Other
  • hostess (250 hrs, ˜1 year)
  • member of national student bioethics association
  • love drawing, sewing, and historical fashion (specifically 18th century if you're curious)
LORs from science prof, research PI, hospital volunteer director, nurse from CNA job, pre-health organization faculty advisor

School List:

TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Loyola
UT Houston
Medical College of Wisconsin
MUSC
Rush
Tufts <3
UF
Tennessee
Kansas
Jefferson
Boston U
Penn State
South Carolina - Greenville
South Carolina - Columbia :(
Morsani
Creighton
UNC
Cincinnati
Miami
Toledo
Virginia Commonwealth
Maryland
FAU
FSU

I know it's super long, I'm hoping this thread will help me narrow it down

thanks for reading all that, y'all are amazing

Members don't see this ad.

Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews at OOS MD schools. You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state (Florida State admits only ~4 non residents per year). Rush, Loyola, Georgetown and Creighton expect far more non clinical volunteering hours than you have. I suggest these schools from your list:
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Temple
MUSC
Jefferson
Penn State
South Carolina - Columbia
Virginia Commonwealth
You could add these schools:
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Hackensack
Albany
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Try and accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter, etc. before you submit your application.

Welcome to the forums.

Your scribing contributes a bit to your shadowing hours. Planned hours don't help you, and I'm not sure how successful you have been trying to find an ob/gyn to shadow. Given your bioethics interest...

Where do you serve as a crisis counselor? How were you trained?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews at OOS MD schools. You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state (Florida State admits only ~4 non residents per year). Rush, Loyola, Georgetown and Creighton expect far more non clinical volunteering hours than you have. I suggest these schools from your list:
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Temple
MUSC
Jefferson
Penn State
South Carolina - Columbia
Virginia Commonwealth
You could add these schools:
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Hackensack
Albany
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Try and accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter, etc. before you submit your application.
ok, thanks! that's all helpful to know

Welcome to the forums.to

Your scribing contributes a bit to your shadowing hours. Planned hours don't help you, and I'm not sure how successful you have been trying to find an ob/gyn to shadow. Given your bioethics interest...

Where do you serve as a crisis counselor? How were you trained?
My apologies, I definitely used the wrong word, it's the crisis text line volunteering. I was too tired writing this clearly.

As for the shadowing, most my hours were in my freshman and sophomore years, and since then my local hospital group has added to their steps to complete before shadowing. Despite the fact that I'm an employee and volunteer there, I need to get specific medical tests done that will cost me more money than I can afford at the moment. I've been in contact with one Ob/gyn and reached out to another three to better my chances of finding a time that works.