WAMC (513/3.74/MD/CA ORM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UniqueUsername1

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning on applying for med schools this coming cycle (2022-2023) and am hoping to see where I am at now and for feedback on my current gameplan for the time between now and the start of the cycle.

1. AMCAS: 3.74 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA. AACOMAS: 3.74 cGPA, 3.70 sGPA
  2. 513 (129 CP/127 CARS/130 BB/127 PS); took 8/27/2021
  3. CA
  4. East Asian (Chinese/Korean)
  5. A UC school (graduating this quarter, in December)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~350 hours as a paid patient care assistant in hospital (floated to different depts, including cardio and neuro ICUs, med/surg, PCU, DOU, and covid ward). ~90 hours as a volunteer in the emergency dept at university's hospital. Planning on going back to work as either an EMT, ED tech, or scribe during my gap.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1 year as a lab assistant in a pathogenic virus genomics lab. Honestly, I am not doing too much in this lab in terms of actual research, so I am planning on applying to become a technician in the lab during my gap year, or move to a different lab. I am also about to begin volunteering as a research associate in the same ED I volunteered in. Will have at least ~100 hours.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Currently shadowing a pediatric emergency physician, projected 40 hours from her. I have plans to shadow an internal medicine physician and nephrologist in hospitals in LA, projected at least 20 hours from each.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: nothing yet. This is my biggest flaw right now, and this is where I will be focusing the most on during my gap.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Alpha Epsilon Delta board member (1 year, CPR instructor, will be a mentor to a group of students), Biological Sciences Student Association committee member (Professional Development (2 years), Social (1 year), Volunteering (1 year), mentor 2 groups of first year students), Instructional Assistant for upper division biology courses (metabolic biochem, cell bio, physiology, and microbio, ~475 projected hours total, have been called head TA by at least 1 professor, leadership?), helped/set up a way for incoming students (classes of 2023, 2024, and 2025) to meet and get help/advice from current students. Non-clinical work includes busser at a sushi restaurant (6 months) and a sales associate in a music store (I worked there for a year in my last year of HS, but went back for winter break and summer during college).
  11. Relevant honors or awards: AED national member, Provost's Honors for FA2018 and from FA2019-on.
LORs I'm planning on getting: my physiology professor who I had when I took the class and when I IA'd for it, my microbiology professor who I had when I took the class and when I IA'd for it, 1 non-sci prof, another prof who I IA'd for, the ED physician I am shadowing, my PI, and a supervisor from volunteering.

My school list is quite long so far, as I haven't really started narrowing it down yet. I plan to apply to: all UCs (no ties to IE for UCR or Sacramento for UCD), USC (family ties to the med school), KP, Drexel (grandpa went there for Ph.D, idk if that counts as a tie). I have more schools planned, but I need to check for OOS acceptance. Will also be applying to some DO schools.

To summarize my plan for my gap before applying: grind non-clinical volunteering, work in a lab as a tech, continue volunteering in the ED as a RA, and go back to clinical work as an EMT/ED Tech/scribe.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Non-clinical volunteering: nothing yet. This is my biggest flaw right now, and this is where I will be focusing the most on during my gap. ...
To summarize my plan for my gap before applying: grind non-clinical volunteering, work in a lab as a tech, continue volunteering in the ED as a RA, and go back to clinical work as an EMT/ED Tech/scribe."

Anything that you can do that totally takes you out of your comfort zone and working directly with individuals with great need is going to be the most impactful. I don't know what "grind non-clinical volunteering" is, but whatever you do, you need to be deliberate in what opportunity you choose that makes you really understand the challenges that occur for those who may not have access to quality health care. Any work back in the lab or working back in a clinical environment will do you no good.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I am planning on applying for med schools this coming cycle (2022-2023) and am hoping to see where I am at now and for feedback on my current gameplan for the time between now and the start of the cycle.

1. AMCAS: 3.74 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA. AACOMAS: 3.74 cGPA, 3.70 sGPA
  2. 513 (129 CP/127 CARS/130 BB/127 PS); took 8/27/2021
  3. CA
  4. East Asian (Chinese/Korean)
  5. A UC school (graduating this quarter, in December)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~350 hours as a paid patient care assistant in hospital (floated to different depts, including cardio and neuro ICUs, med/surg, PCU, DOU, and covid ward). ~90 hours as a volunteer in the emergency dept at university's hospital. Planning on going back to work as either an EMT, ED tech, or scribe during my gap.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1 year as a lab assistant in a pathogenic virus genomics lab. Honestly, I am not doing too much in this lab in terms of actual research, so I am planning on applying to become a technician in the lab during my gap year, or move to a different lab. I am also about to begin volunteering as a research associate in the same ED I volunteered in. Will have at least ~100 hours.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Currently shadowing a pediatric emergency physician, projected 40 hours from her. I have plans to shadow an internal medicine physician and nephrologist in hospitals in LA, projected at least 20 hours from each.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: nothing yet. This is my biggest flaw right now, and this is where I will be focusing the most on during my gap.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Alpha Epsilon Delta board member (1 year, CPR instructor, will be a mentor to a group of students), Biological Sciences Student Association committee member (Professional Development (2 years), Social (1 year), Volunteering (1 year), mentor 2 groups of first year students), Instructional Assistant for upper division biology courses (metabolic biochem, cell bio, physiology, and microbio, ~475 projected hours total, have been called head TA by at least 1 professor, leadership?), helped/set up a way for incoming students (classes of 2023, 2024, and 2025) to meet and get help/advice from current students. Non-clinical work includes busser at a sushi restaurant (6 months) and a sales associate in a music store (I worked there for a year in my last year of HS, but went back for winter break and summer during college).
  11. Relevant honors or awards: AED national member, Provost's Honors for FA2018 and from FA2019-on.
LORs I'm planning on getting: my physiology professor who I had when I took the class and when I IA'd for it, my microbiology professor who I had when I took the class and when I IA'd for it, 1 non-sci prof, another prof who I IA'd for, the ED physician I am shadowing, my PI, and a supervisor from volunteering.

My school list is quite long so far, as I haven't really started narrowing it down yet. I plan to apply to: all UCs (no ties to IE for UCR or Sacramento for UCD), USC (family ties to the med school), KP, Drexel (grandpa went there for Ph.D, idk if that counts as a tie). I have more schools planned, but I need to check for OOS acceptance. Will also be applying to some DO schools.

To summarize my plan for my gap before applying: grind non-clinical volunteering, work in a lab as a tech, continue volunteering in the ED as a RA, and go back to clinical work as an EMT/ED Tech/scribe.
I honestly think that your gameplan is fine but you really need to try to find some kind of non-clinical volunteering. Even working at a homeless shelter or a food bank would be good - even better if you can find an activity that you can directly link to your other ECs

For OOS schools, look into places like Vermont, Tulane, VCU, EVMS to start

Members don't see this ad :)
"Non-clinical volunteering: nothing yet. This is my biggest flaw right now, and this is where I will be focusing the most on during my gap. ...
To summarize my plan for my gap before applying: grind non-clinical volunteering, work in a lab as a tech, continue volunteering in the ED as a RA, and go back to clinical work as an EMT/ED Tech/scribe."

Anything that you can do that totally takes you out of your comfort zone and working directly with individuals with great need is going to be the most impactful. I don't know what "grind non-clinical volunteering" is, but whatever you do, you need to be deliberate in what opportunity you choose that makes you really understand the challenges that occur for those who may not have access to quality health care. Any work back in the lab or working back in a clinical environment will do you no good.
Thanks for the response! Grind as in racking up hours. I definitely plan working with these individuals for my non-clinical volunteering. You don't think my lack of research (I barely even touch the pipettes. I mostly order materials and pick up clinical samples) would be bad? Also, I do need money during my gap year haha.

I honestly think that your gameplan is fine but you really need to try to find some kind of non-clinical volunteering. Even working at a homeless shelter or a food bank would be good - even better if you can find an activity that you can directly link to your other ECs

For OOS schools, look into places like Vermont, Tulane, VCU, EVMS to start
I'm thinking of tutoring underserved children in English, math, or science for one of my non-clin, which would tie back to my extensive teaching EC. I was also thinking of teaching CPR (I just got certified to teach BLS provider courses) to people who need it for no cost (maybe school teachers?). I also might have the opportunity to go abroad to help my family member with her humanitarian work there. This should put me in a good place, yea? I appreciate your comment!

I'm thinking of tutoring underserved children in English, math, or science for one of my non-clin, which would tie back to my extensive teaching EC. I was also thinking of teaching CPR (I just got certified to teach BLS provider courses) to people who need it for no cost (maybe school teachers?). I also might have the opportunity to go abroad to help my family member with her humanitarian work there. This should put me in a good place, yea? I appreciate your comment!
Tutoring kids could be okay but not the other 2. On the other hand it’s teaching again. Find something different. Expand your experiences, stretch your boundaries. Learn to deal with people unlike yourself. Nonclinical volunteering should be in your community right here in the USA so go with your aunt if you want to but don’t put it on your application. Teaching BLS is not serving the unserved/underserved in your community. Find a homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, go visit and talk to vets at a vet center, Coach underprivileged kids on a team , work with underprivileged kids at a camp,. Get out of your comfort zone and expand your horizons. Doctors deal with lots of different kinds of people. You have to show ADCOMS you can do that too.

Reactions: 1 user
Tutoring kids could be okay but not the other 2. On the other hand it’s teaching again. Find something different. Expand your experiences, stretch your boundaries. Learn to deal with people unlike yourself. Nonclinical volunteering should be in your community right here in the USA so go with your aunt if you want to but don’t put it on your application. Teaching BLS is not serving the unserved/underserved in your community. Find a homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, go visit and talk to vets at a vet center, Coach underprivileged kids on a team , work with underprivileged kids at a camp,. Get out of your comfort zone and expand your horizons. Doctors deal with lots of different kinds of people. You have to show ADCOMS you can do that too.
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. I’ll look into things in my area!

Barring the obvious hole in non-clinical volunteering, what are your thoughts on the rest of my app?

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. I’ll look into things in my area!

Barring the obvious hole in non-clinical volunteering, what are your thoughts on the rest of my app?
I think the rest of your application is fine. FYI- you only need 50 hours total of shadowing. So pick one off that list and spend a day with him/her. Get going on your nonclinical,stuff. Good luck.