MD & DO WAMC - 516 MCAT, low undergrad GPA (3.38), 4.0 grad gpa (1 year/30 credits)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mre1123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some feedback on my school list. Was told to add some lower stat MDs and some DOs, hope this list reflects that. Any input is welcome! I know it is a lot of schools but I would like to prioritize matriculating this year, as my significant other is also applying this cycle.

Currently , I am enrolled in my second semester of a M.S. in Physiology, I will be graduating in December 2020.

Country/state of residence: NY

Schools to which you are applying:

Stony Brook
Einstein
Upstate
Rochester
Albany
Hofstra
Buffalo
NYMC
Downstate

Tufts
UMass
Boston University

Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
Geisinger

Rutgers NJMC
Cooper Medical School
Seton Hall

Vermont
Brown
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac

Maryland
George Washington
Georgetown

Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
Eastern Virginia Medical School

Indiana U
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Med. College Wisconsin

UNECOM
NYITCOM
PCOM
MSUCOM
Rowan COM

Cumulative GPA: - Undergrad: 3.38 Grad: 4.0
Science GPA: Undergrad 3.26 Grad 4.0
Undergrad DO school sGPA: 3.45

GPA is low due to 1 semester received 2 Cs, 1 D. Since then no semester under 3.5, good upward trend.

MCAT Scores: 516 (130/126/130/130)

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):
At time of application, will be 1 year of basic science research. Started my own project this January that (according to PI) will lead to first authorship probably by November/December.
1 semester Physiology research with thesis for masters program.

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
5 years of volunteering at campus EMS agency. 1 of those years as officer. probably Over 4000 hours.

2 years as critical care emt (IVs, intubations, cardiac monitoring, etc.)

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
Just got someone to agree to let me shadow, so by applications should be ~40 hours with Chief Resident in Anesthesiology.

Non-clinical volunteering:
Approx 100 hours teaching Hands only CPR and Stop-the-Bleed trainings to college groups and community orgs, as well as car and bike safety presentations with pre-schools

Extracurricular activities:
TA for anatomy and physiology, 1 summer

Employment history:
a lot. started working part time during sophomore year of college, mostly EMS jobs.

1 year interfacility transport EMS

1 summer with (local college) Men's lacrosse team first aid

2 years at 1 fire department (since resigned) working as first responder

1.5 years at current fire department working as first responder

6 months at a different fire department as first responder (noticing a trend?)

1 year at telemedicine company - I worked in a nursing home and provided emergency care to the patients there. basically I facetimed a physician, we made a treatment plan, I did the treatment, and we were able to prevent unnecessary hospitalizations. Plan on talking about this on essays/interview

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n):
no

Specialty of interest: Emergency Med or Anesthesiology/Critical Care

Graduate degrees:
1 year into M.S. Physiology & Biophysics, graduating December 2020. Includes Basic science research thesis.

Interest in rural health
no :(

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously a lot of your experience is in emergency medicine. I would have liked to see more shadowing variety outside ED, but I think your commitment is compelling to get an interview among postbac friendly schools. Find out where former students got accepted within your in-state choices and a few OOS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You have several state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. You also have several reaches that are not realistic with your GPA. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown