MD WAMC: 520 MCAT, 3.53cGPA, 3.46sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mm9hh

Reaction score
Hi guys! I hope everyone is staying safe during all this madness. My question is whether or not you guys think I will be competitive this cycle at MD Schools. Im not very happy about my GPA. Also I am a white guy.

GPA: I finished up undergrad at UVA with a total gpa of 3.53 and a science gpa 3.46, slight upward trend, but that took a little hit my last semester due to family troubles.

MCAT: 520

Volunteering: ~ 290 of volunteering medical field (200 of which in a leadership role). 220 hours of non-clinical volunteering.

Clinical experience: 1.5 years of scribing full time, only 40 hours shadowing.

Research: No basic science research. 480 hours of working as a reserach assistant in a psych lab. 470 hours as a clinical research intern with the UVa school of medicine.

LOR: I have a very solid LORs from a physician I scribed for. Also one solid one from a biology professor, and non science professor. I had a second science professor write a letter, but she didn't know me that well so I can't say for sure its very compelling.

Here is the list of schools I applied to. I have already receiived and submitted secondaries to 19 of them.

UVa, VCU, EVMS, VT Carillion

Albany Medical College,

Rosalind Franklin

Creighton University school of medicine

Medical college of Wisconsin

Penn State

Wake Forest

Quinnipiac

Vermont

Indiana

Emory

Dartmouth

Western Michigan

Tufts

Pittsburgh

Michigan

West Virginia

Colorado

Ohio state

Wisconsin

Hofstra

Tulane

Overall I feel like my GPA is definitely not ideal, and the lack of basic research/publications isn’t great. But yeah, thanks for reading this and best of luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Ideally, you want to pick schools and have best chance where your GPA is over the 25th percentile since the rest of your app looks pretty good. Since you’ll have at least one gap year, you can also include projected hours for ECs. Many applicants add over 2000hrs of EC per gap year.

I suggest adding any of these schools:
New York Medical College
Rochester
Cincinnati
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
NOVA MD
Miami
TCU-UNT
Loyola
St. Louis
Oakland Beaumont

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest adding any of these schools:
New York Medical College
Rochester
Cincinnati
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
NOVA MD
Miami
TCU-UNT
Loyola
St. Louis
Oakland Beaumont
I appreciate the suggestion, thank you so much!