MD wamc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinklemonade99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Non-clinical volunteering: is Planned Parenthood your only community service experience? You are splitting some hours doing clinical work with PP as well, so I'm looking to see if there more than just one major community service activity in your bucket? Describe your international service trip a bit more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-clinical volunteering: is Planned Parenthood your only community service experience? You are splitting some hours doing clinical work with PP as well, so I'm looking to see if there more than just one major community service activity in your bucket? Describe your international service trip a bit more.
The service trip is through a non-profit organization that the university partners with. Students go to impoverished communities in various countries and build public infrastructure projects, educate community members on public health, and open a free medical clinic. The time before the trip itself is spent preparing and fundraising. This is where the majority of my hours come from.

Reactions: 1 user
**** PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE ****

Resident: CA
Ethnicity: Asian
Major: Biology
Minor: Comp Bio

MCAT: 520 (129/130/131/130)
GPA: 3.83 cGPA w/ upward trend, 3.79 sGPA

Research: 450 hours; developed a program to help with computer aided drug design at a comp bio lab. Manuscript currently being edited to be submitted for publication (plan on having it submitted by the time I complete my application).

Non-clinical: 600 hours; involved in a volunteer group that takes a service trip abroad every year since freshman year of college (2 leadership positions) and did non-clinical volunteer work at Planned Parenthood

Clinical: 100 hours; volunteered at a hospital and at Planned Parenthood (hours were projected to be closer to 150-180 hours without COVID-19)

Shadowing: 120 hours in radiology and internal medicine

Employment: 400 hours; on campus, administrative work study job

Other paid experience: 300 hours; worked at a pizza place freshman summer

Rec Letters: 4 letters from my PI, bio lab professor, humanities professor, and on campus employer (expected to be strong and supportive)

School List:
1. NYU
2. Columbia
3. UCLA
4. UCSF
5. Cornell
6. Duke
7. U Pitt
8. U Mich
9. Yale
10. U Chicago
11. Northwestern
12. Vanderbilt
13. Mount Sinai
14. UCSD
15. Baylor
16. Case Western
17. Emory
18. Boston U
19. UVA
20. USC
21. U of Rochester
22. Brown
23. UCD
24. Georgetown
25. UCI
26. Dartmouth
27. Tufts
28. UCR
29. Kaiser
30. California Northstate

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions about my school list! I am currently planning on applying only to MD schools, as I think MD fits slightly better with my goals/aspirations for medicine in the future. This is my first post on SDN, but it seems that @Goro, @Faha, @WedgeDawg, and @Mr.Smile12 have helped a lot of prospective students with their school lists, so I would greatly appreciate your feedback as well.
Delete CNU, Brown, Gtown
Scratch UCR IF you're not from the Inland Empire
ADD: U VM, U Cinci, OH State, Cal U Med, Einstein
Consider WashU, Duke, U CO,