WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altftwelve

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
like 800ish hours working with underserved populations, major part of my app, led my own project in this field and am an officer in a nonprofit. Have gotten thousands of dollars in grant funding, have kind of spread my project nationally by networking with other students but nothing huge. 100 of those hours are from another service club, not related to my personal work I spoke about.
Provide the details of what you did. Fundraising doesn't matter in showing service orientation. You sound like you have more focus on leadership than service orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you directly interacting with these disadvantaged individuals, or is it something where you're applying leadership from afar? And is that all of your 800 hours? This is important for assessing how much direct work you've actually done.

Regardless of this, your application is very strong. With some further clarification on hours I think you could go at it this cycle if you wanted to. I don't see a reason why you would need to wait just because of the first author manuscript, but you can mention it on your application. Same thing with the conference...just list them as happening in the future in your work/activities description; I mentioned my in progress 2nd author manuscript when I submitted the primary and then submitted an update letter when it was accepted for publication.

As for your school list, I agree it needs chopping but I don't see any obvious schools to remove — just try to make sure you end up with an overall balanced list (i.e. don't end up with only T20s!)

Reactions: 1 users
Are you directly interacting with these disadvantaged individuals, or is it something where you're applying leadership from afar? And is that all of your 800 hours? This is important for assessing how much direct work you've actually done.

Regardless of this, your application is very strong. With some further clarification on hours I think you could go at it this cycle if you wanted to. I don't see a reason why you would need to wait just because of the first author manuscript, but you can mention it on your application. Same thing with the conference...just list them as happening in the future in your work/activities description; I mentioned my in progress 2nd author manuscript when I submitted the primary and then submitted an update letter when it was accepted for publication.

As for your school list, I agree it needs chopping but I don't see any obvious schools to remove — just try to make sure you end up with an overall balanced list (i.e. don't end up with only T20s!)
Yes, all of it is direct interaction, and it is all of my 800 hours. Thank you for the comments and advice!

sorry for the confusion, the grant money is to fund the projects I work on, not direct donation if that's what you're asking. I would definitely consider my work service and not leadership though.

I've done lots of volunteering with homeless individuals, either volunteering at shelters to assist them or donating hygiene items, food, etc.
The project I work on has to do with connecting disadvantaged individuals with resources, we work to reallocate items like mattresses, microwaves, other living essentials to those in need. We also work with health resources, including having worked with physicians to do health fairs at shelters and bringing in resources for low cost clinics and other health information.
trying to say as much as I can without doxing myself, hope it helps!
Without details, I feel you don't want to cut down your list. If you want to remain an advocate for the homeless, you know which schools in the big cities have free clinics. I don't know why you want to go out of state other than just for the outside of the school you want to attend. You will likely get yield protected at many schools on your list because you don't have a mission fit with them.

Without details, I feel you don't want to cut down your list. If you want to remain an advocate for the homeless, you know which schools in the big cities have free clinics. I don't know why you want to go out of state other than just for the outside of the school you want to attend. You will likely get yield protected at many schools on your list because you don't have a mission fit with them.
which schools on my list do you think I'd get yield protected at because of lack of mission fit?

Last edited:
which schools on my list do you think I'd get yield protected at because of lack of mission fit?
also the reason i have schools from other states is because I'm interested in the locations they're set in (e.g., umass)
It would help knowing what you believe is your purpose as a physician and highlight the activities that communicate your mission fit.

Last edited: