WAMC 521 MCAT/4.0sGPA/3.93cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

card321

Reaction score
1. Junior at T20 undergrad
2. Humanities Major
3. not URM
4. 4.0sGPA/3.93cGPA
5. 521 MCAT (131/130/130/130)
6. Varsity Athlete: 2 years of varsity athletics (recently quit)
7. Clinical Volunteering: ~150 hrs
8. Nonclinical volunteering: ~120 hrs
9. Research: 165 hrs clinical research w/ pub
10. Shadowing: 20hrs

Note that the hours for clinical and non-clinical volunteering are where I'm realistically anticipating at being come June, I have about half of those hours currently. Research is finishing up now however. Wondering what my shot is at a T20 acceptance as well as just an MD acceptance in general. How should I go about making a school list? Should I apply this year?

Members don't see this ad.

2. Humanities Major
3. not URM
4. 4.0sGPA/3.93cGPA

Note that the hours for clinical and non-clinical volunteering are where I'm realistically anticipating at being come June, I have about half of those hours currently. Research is finishing up now however. Wondering what my shot is at a T20 acceptance as well as just an MD acceptance in general. How should I go about making a school list? Should I apply this year?

Just curious what you mean by “varsity” athlete? As that’s usually a high school term. And in regards to to T20 and MD chances, with your stats you should have a phenomenal chance. Maybe get more clinical experience as well as non clinical volunteering? Is the non clinical with underserved communities? If not that would def help!! But to me you have a great app and it’s just going to come down to how you write. But I’m too just an applicant so take this all with a grain of salt lol

Just curious what you mean by “varsity” athlete? As that’s usually a high school term. And in regards to to T20 and MD chances, with your stats you should have a phenomenal chance. Maybe get more clinical experience as well as non clinical volunteering? Is the non clinical with underserved communities? If not that would def help!! But to me you have a great app and it’s just going to come down to how you write. But I’m too just an applicant so take this all with a grain of salt lol
Varsity meaning NCAA intercollegiate athletics. Appreciate the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Varsity meaning NCAA intercollegiate athletics. Appreciate the feedback!

Ok I figured, just interesting to hear it called that since there’s not like different levels in college if that makes sense? Outside like divisions but within the same school it’s the same!

2. Humanities Major
3. not URM
4. 4.0sGPA/3.93cGPA

What's your state of residence? That can make a big difference.

You're very light on research hours for T20s, which generally care a lot more about research than mid-tiers.

150/120 hours for clinical/nonclinical are close to the lowest acceptable numbers for those categories. Nonclinical volunteering should involve face to face interactions with underserved populations, not just office work.

What is the nature of your clinical experience?

Shadowing should be at least 50 hours.

What have you done in terms of leadership (also big among T20s)?

Ok I figured, just interesting to hear it called that since there’s not like different levels in college if that makes sense? Outside like divisions but within the same school it’s the same!
There are different levels in collegiate athletics—varsity, club, and intramural. There isn’t a “JV” or “junior varsity” like you’d have in high school, but “varsity” is the appropriate term describing the team representing that university at the highest level possible.

Which division?

What's your state residency?

What does your prehealth advisor say?

Who's writing your letters?
Division 3
PA Residency
Pre-health advisor says to go ahead and apply
Letters are from one physician, two science professors and one non-science professor.

Sorry for such a late reply.

Division 3
PA Residency
Pre-health advisor says to go ahead and apply
Letters are from one physician, two science professors and one non-science professor.

Sorry for such a late reply.
Thanks. I also want to know why you want a T20-brand school, especially since there are 50 schools that are really "top 20"? Does your prehealth advisor know of any former students from your university who went to a so-called "T20" school, and how similar are you to those individuals?

Many of our experts can make suggestions if you complete a WAMC template and give us more information about your activities.

What's your state of residence? That can make a big difference.

You're very light on research hours for T20s, which generally care a lot more about research than mid-tiers.

150/120 hours for clinical/nonclinical are close to the lowest acceptable numbers for those categories. Nonclinical volunteering should involve face to face interactions with underserved populations, not just office work.

What is the nature of your clinical experience?

Shadowing should be at least 50 hours.

What have you done in terms of leadership (also big among T20s)?
Hi,
I am curious to know the competitive/acceptable research hours for T20 schools
Is teaching ESL or mentoring /coaching small group of kids in sports considered as leadership

Hi,
I am curious to know the competitive/acceptable research hours for T20 schools
Is teaching ESL or mentoring /coaching small group of kids in sports considered as leadership

At my T20 undergrad it was common to spend all of senior year at least working on a research project. Often students majoring in Bio, Chem or Physics would begin their projects as juniors and work on them full time over the summer. This was pretty common at other T20 universities.

Based on that, I’d say around 1000 hrs of research would be common.

Teaching and mentoring as you’ve described wouldn’t count as leadership because you’re not supervising/managing/directing your peers.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with my colleague. Usually 1000 hours in a year is about the same time as committing to a job "half-time": 50 weeks in a year times 20 hours a week (4 hours a day). That's about enough for completing an undergrad thesis for a year.

At my T20 undergrad it was common to spend all of senior year at least working on a research project. Often students majoring in Bio, Chem or Physics would begin their projects as juniors and work on them full time over the summer. This was pretty common at other T20 universities.

Based on that, I’d say around 1000 hrs of research would be common.

Teaching and mentoring as you’ve described wouldn’t count as leadership because you’re not supervising/managing/directing your peers.
@ OP I apologize for sabotaging your thread, I Just want to clarify since we are on this topic

I will be taking Undergraduate Research/Thesis in my senior year 2022 Fall which is mandatory for my degree and listing in the application as a future course.
I have started working in a science-based research since 2021 Fall semester and will be continuing in senior year as well. By the time of application, 2022 -23 cycle I might have at least 300-400 hrs. completed + projected hrs. ~ 500-600. (these hours could be more)

I heard that it matters your actual involvement, understanding and explaining not the no of hours -of course its based on nature of the project as well.

Is that OK applying in 2022-23 cycle with above completed hrs. to T20 schools.

Last edited:
@ OP I apologize for sabotaging your thread, I Just want to clarify since we are on this topic

I will be taking Undergraduate Research/Thesis in my senior year 2022 Fall which is mandatory for my degree and listing in the application as a future course.
I have started working in a science-based research since 2021 Fall semester and will be continuing in senior year as well. By the time of application, 2022 -23 cycle I might have at least 300-400 hrs. completed + projected hrs. ~ 500-600. (these hours could be more)

I heard that it matters your actual involvement, understanding and explaining not the no of hours -of course its based on nature of the project as well.

Quality matters too so it’s hard to answer concretely. You’ll probably be around average on research for T20s. You’ll have to stand out in some other way.

Some T20s (eg Stanford) care about research more than others.

Thanks. I also want to know why you want a T20-brand school, especially since there are 50 schools that are really "top 20"? Does your prehealth advisor know of any former students from your university who went to a so-called "T20" school, and how similar are you to those individuals?

Many of our experts can make suggestions if you complete a WAMC template and give us more information about your activities.
I suppose in that regard I am mistaken. I only say "T20" because I see that touted here and on other forums as a marker for schools which have plentiful resources to help students succeed in pursuing their goals regarding career and specialty aspirations. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get into any one of those 50 schools you mention. Your comment has made me realize I really have no specific preference for "name brand T20". I think I've just gotten caught up in my own anxiety with all this looking into the future, I really just want to go somewhere where I can succeed. Also I thought I had completed the WAMC template with the numbered list? I'm new to the forum so I'm afraid I was mistaken as to what the template is. My apologies. I think I had better refocus my app from being "competitive for T20" to just "competitive for MD".

Edit: I'm considering starting a scribe position part-time during the spring semester to bolster my clinical hours. Would this be worthwhile or would it look bad doing it the semester right before applying?

Last edited:

You are totally fine. As it so happens I am also planning on pursuing a senior honors thesis in my humanities major next year. This is one of the big reasons I'm considering putting off my application. I'm wondering how much stronger a completed thesis will make my app as opposed to just projecting the hours (although I will likely begin some work on it in the spring).

I suppose in that regard I am mistaken. I only say "T20" because I see that touted here and on other forums as a marker for schools which have plentiful resources to help students succeed in pursuing their goals regarding career and specialty aspirations. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get into any one of those 50 schools you mention. Your comment has made me realize I really have no specific preference for "name brand T20". I think I've just gotten caught up in my own anxiety with all this looking into the future, I really just want to go somewhere where I can succeed. Also I thought I had completed the WAMC template with the numbered list? I'm new to the forum so I'm afraid I was mistaken as to what the template is. My apologies. I think I had better refocus my app from being "competitive for T20" to just "competitive for MD".

Edit: I'm considering starting a scribe position part-time during the spring semester to bolster my clinical hours. Would this be worthwhile or would it look bad doing it the semester right before applying?
Soapbox time: In addressing your statement that "top 20" means that they have a ton of resources to get students to pursue their career aspirations, I'll just state that all the medical schools must have sufficient resources for accreditation... all the allopathic AAMC schools and the osteopathic AACOM schools (not to mention every other health professions program that has full accreditation in the other professions). If they don't, they can lose their status, which is a serious issue. For me "top 20" is a vestige of legacy and educational hierarchical reputation (you can read as privilege) that comes with "the brand" of that university or program. It's the same fallacy that befalls undergraduate admissions that it's got to be the Ivy's or bust when there are 50-100 really decent undergraduate schools out there. But there are differences in focus among many of those "top schools" and the rest of the pack that are worth noting when absolutely necessary, but for the purposes of admissions, it's not really that much better at one medical school that is a "top 20" versus another when it comes to helping students succeed in career/specialties. Quite frankly, many of us in med ed can argue that student success is probably 80% on the student.

On the scribing opportunity: you can't worry about whether your opportunities look bad to anyone. It's where you are in your preparation, and hopefully when we get to interview you, you'll have a few hundred more hours than what you had when you submitted your application.

Soapbox time: In addressing your statement that "top 20" means that they have a ton of resources to get students to pursue their career aspirations, I'll just state that all the medical schools must have sufficient resources for accreditation... all the allopathic AAMC schools and the osteopathic AACOM schools (not to mention every other health professions program that has full accreditation in the other professions). If they don't, they can lose their status, which is a serious issue. For me "top 20" is a vestige of legacy and educational hierarchical reputation (you can read as privilege) that comes with "the brand" of that university or program. It's the same fallacy that befalls undergraduate admissions that it's got to be the Ivy's or bust when there are 50-100 really decent undergraduate schools out there. But there are differences in focus among many of those "top schools" and the rest of the pack that are worth noting when absolutely necessary, but for the purposes of admissions, it's not really that much better at one medical school that is a "top 20" versus another when it comes to helping students succeed in career/specialties. Quite frankly, many of us in med ed can argue that student success is probably 80% on the student.

On the scribing opportunity: you can't worry about whether your opportunities look bad to anyone. It's where you are in your preparation, and hopefully when we get to interview you, you'll have a few hundred more hours than what you had when you submitted your application.
This is probably the most comforting post regarding the med admissions process that I've gotten to read. Appreciate your insight, I'm going to discuss this more with my pre-health advisor. I'm going to go ahead and pursue this scribe position I think. You're right that I can't worry about how the opportunities are going to look, I just have to go ahead and get involved.