bluemango2346
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm new here but wanted to post as I plan to apply this May and begin to create a school list.
1. cGPA: 4.00 sGPA: 4.00
2. 522 MCAT, 130 C/P, 132 CARS, 129 B/B, 131 P/S
3. Indiana resident
4. White, female
5. Small T20 Liberal Arts College
6. Clinical experience: 100 hours hospital volunteering in ER and PT departments plus 20 hours working RAM free clinics. Hospital volunteering was no direct patient care obviously but preparing IV bags, moving equipment, occasionally guiding patients.
7. Research: 160 hours in a IU med school lab working with modified mouse models to analyze glucose processing diseases. 150 hours in a lab on campus working with interoception and stress (learned to run EKGs on trial participants) and developing a comprehensive health measure for incoming freshman to be used in the future. No publications but decent rec letters from both PIs.
8. Shadowing: 100 hours of shadowing. Largely primary care/family medicine, but also some ortho, ENT surgery, and sports medicine.
9. Non-Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours, largely at an elementary school. Also did some hours at the campus garden and a therapeutic horseback riding center.
10. Other Experiences:
I do not have a comprehensive list compiled yet, but I really just need advice. I definitely intend to apply to IU, and I think I would be very happy there. I'm in a unique situation in that I have an opportunity to go abroad next semester. Obviously, this would mean getting started on personal statement this semester and finalizing everything while abroad. I know this may be challenging, but this opportunity is one I may never get again. However, I know my ECs are not ideal (especially in terms of clinical experience). I am in a position where I could instead use my final semester to try to gain some more significant clinical hours before applying. Is this the route I should take, or do I have a decent shot at MD schools as is? What am I missing in terms of strengthening my app?
1. cGPA: 4.00 sGPA: 4.00
2. 522 MCAT, 130 C/P, 132 CARS, 129 B/B, 131 P/S
3. Indiana resident
4. White, female
5. Small T20 Liberal Arts College
6. Clinical experience: 100 hours hospital volunteering in ER and PT departments plus 20 hours working RAM free clinics. Hospital volunteering was no direct patient care obviously but preparing IV bags, moving equipment, occasionally guiding patients.
7. Research: 160 hours in a IU med school lab working with modified mouse models to analyze glucose processing diseases. 150 hours in a lab on campus working with interoception and stress (learned to run EKGs on trial participants) and developing a comprehensive health measure for incoming freshman to be used in the future. No publications but decent rec letters from both PIs.
8. Shadowing: 100 hours of shadowing. Largely primary care/family medicine, but also some ortho, ENT surgery, and sports medicine.
9. Non-Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours, largely at an elementary school. Also did some hours at the campus garden and a therapeutic horseback riding center.
10. Other Experiences:
- After freshman year, I had an internship at my local health department. A lot of this work was with underserved community members. I worked 35-40 hours a week on whatever initiatives they needed help with. This included publicity campaigns and events as well as going along and offering support on visits to homeless shelters and at free health screenings. I also worked 15 hours a week at a soup kitchen and men's shelter as a part of this experience.
- Over the past summer and into this year, I worked as an intern with a private sports psychiatry practice. I have discussed cases, helped conduct research for their manuscript, conducted outreach to college campuses, and drafted social media posts to promote their work. This will yield a strong LOR.
- I have been a member of my school's varsity XC/track teams over the past four years. I have earned numerous honors, including being All-Region multiple times, helping my team to nationals twice so far, and being a two time Academic All-American. This was a significant commitment. Related to this, I am a part of my school's student athlete advisory council and am a Campus Captain through the Hidden Opponent.
- I have been a peer tutor for two years, and I will have worked around 120 hours by the time I apply.
- I am seceretary of my school's Red Cross Club
- I intend to take one gap year and work an entry level clinical job
I do not have a comprehensive list compiled yet, but I really just need advice. I definitely intend to apply to IU, and I think I would be very happy there. I'm in a unique situation in that I have an opportunity to go abroad next semester. Obviously, this would mean getting started on personal statement this semester and finalizing everything while abroad. I know this may be challenging, but this opportunity is one I may never get again. However, I know my ECs are not ideal (especially in terms of clinical experience). I am in a position where I could instead use my final semester to try to gain some more significant clinical hours before applying. Is this the route I should take, or do I have a decent shot at MD schools as is? What am I missing in terms of strengthening my app?