WAMC/Advice 2023-2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janebrookshumphrey

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a little stressed about my application and what I should work on before I apply this upcoming cycle. I don't have an MCAT score yet, but is there anything about my app that I should work to fix before I apply? My top choice is a T10 school so that's what I'm aiming for. Thank you in advance for your help.

State: IL
Race: Black/URM
Year in School: 4th year
Undergraduate Major(s): Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.9X
Science GPA: 3.8X
GPA Trend: consistent throughout all 4 years
MCAT Score(s): N/A, planning to take in spring
Research Experience: about 600 hours w/ poster presentation and undergrad publication otw (should i try and present at a national conference? would that boost my app?)
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): about 300 hrs in a hospital setting, plan to work part-time in clinical research during gap year (about 900 hours)
Physician Shadowing: about 50 hrs (25 hours virtual, 25 hours in person) *weak spot?*
Non-Clinical Volunteering: about 500 hours in various activities
Have had various leadership roles throughout college as well.

Members don't see this ad.

What did your non-clinical volunteering hours specifically involve and how was the hour breakdown between those activities?

The main thing would be to get another 25 or so hours of in in-person shadowing and do as well as you can on the MCAT. When you get an official score, please let us know in this thread and we can provide a tailored school list. You can do the national conference if you are interested in it. It does help a bit to present at that stage versus only within your campus.

Reactions: 1 users
What interaction have you had with that T10 or peer schools?

National conferences may have marginal effect unless you want a research career. It also depends which conference. ABRCMS will help your networking, if you want a target. So would being part of a mentoring organization or getting involved with SNMA.

Your personal journey and more shadowing would likely have the greatest impact. Anything you do with nonclinical/ community service off campus will also help you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What did your non-clinical volunteering hours specifically involve and how was the hour breakdown between those activities?

The main thing would be to get another 25 or so hours of in in-person shadowing and do as well as you can on the MCAT. When you get an official score, please let us know in this thread and we can provide a tailored school list. You can do the national conference if you are interested in it. It does help a bit to present at that stage versus only within your campus.
Thank you for your response! My volunteering includes hospital volunteering, teaching in the local community and at my university, and crisis volunteering. About 100-150 hours in each and have been pretty sustained through the years.

I will update you guys with my MCAT score soon and work on getting more shadowing. Is it ok if the additional shadowing on my app is projected?

What interaction have you had with that T10 or peer schools?

National conferences may have marginal effect unless you want a research career. It also depends which conference. ABRCMS will help your networking, if you want a target. So would being part of a mentoring organization or getting involved with SNMA.

Your personal journey and more shadowing would likely have the greatest impact. Anything you do with nonclinical/ community service off campus will also help you.
Thank you for your response! I unfortunately haven’t had much interaction with that T10. How should I remedy that?

Thank you for your response! I unfortunately haven’t had much interaction with that T10. How should I remedy that?
I said,
ABRCMS will help your networking, if you want a target. So would being part of a mentoring organization or getting involved with SNMA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response! My volunteering includes hospital volunteering, teaching in the local community and at my university, and crisis volunteering. About 100-150 hours in each and have been pretty sustained through the years.

I will update you guys with my MCAT score soon and work on getting more shadowing. Is it ok if the additional shadowing on my app is projected?
Projected doesn’t really count. Try to get some over the next semester.

The MCAT will make or break you. 518 or better and you're a rock star. Good luck.