WAMC - Advice, Honest Opinions and Potential Schools Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrangeTeddy49

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been silently reading through this thread for a while now trying to take notes and advice for other individuals, but tonight I finally mustered the courage to make a post (took me a min. to figure out the flair thingy). I graduated college in 2018, plan on taking my MCAT in October (doing a lot of content review) and could use opinions/advice on whether I actually have a chance, things I should do to strengthen my application and schools! I'm not sure whether I should stick solely to DO schools bc of my GPA or if I should try a few MD Schools. Thanks again to everyone who takes a look and offers any sort of commentary, it's much appreciated!
Also, MCAT, I have my old score, but admittedly, I barely studied (play stupid games, win stupid prizes). Based on my current studying, I solidly believe I can achieve a 510. I plan on taking mine in October so I'll have time to improve and take again in January if not good or if I want to try and improve. I really want to shoot for a 515 though.
GPA
  • Cumulative Undergraduate: 3.39
  • Science GPA (AAMC): 3.21
  • Science GPA (AACOMAS): 3.37
  • Graduate (didn't complete, $$$): 3.36
MCAT
  • Am retaking 6 years later, WILL get 510 at the bare minimum *determined deku face*
Ethnicity
  • African American
Undergraduate Institution
  • State School Midwest
First Generation Student?
  • Yes
Clinical Experience
  • Working Full-Time Medical Laboratory for 1 year
  • Shadowing approx. 60 hours with Oncologists and Primary Care, Low Income Physicians. Plan to shadow Palliative Care (in contact w director, closed to new apps due to COVID)
  • Planning Seminar Series w Medical Director and Physicians. Have a few recruited, trying to organize times (super important to me, can't wait to talk about more! :D)
Research Experience
  • Undergraduate Honors Thesis in Chemistry Lab (In good contact w Professor) (2 years)
  • Summer Program and Presentation in Minority Research Program
Volunteer Experience (not a lot to be honest)
  • 28 hours logged Honor's Program
  • Undergraduate Recruitment (1 summer volunteer → 1 year paid)
Additional Experiences
  • I really enjoy teaching, did in undergrad and getting ready to do at a local college
  • I have awards and honors that I guess "show my minority status" as an AA as well as a former foster care kid
I think I have a somewhat decent extracurricular section and I know I can score well on the MCAT based on the amount of time and effort I'm putting in to study, I'm just worried that my GPA will ruin it. I had a really bad semester (actually, just one course, Calc II - D) which knocked it down. I can't afford any additional education outside of possibly a few community college courses and I feel like AdComs would see it as grade padding.
Sorry for all the wording and thank you everyone for your assistance!

Members don't see this ad.

So you are applying in Spring 2023? You have plenty of time to get your application ready. Your GPAs are fine for DO schools and maybe some lower tier MD schools(depending on your MCAT score). You didn’t mention what state you are from but you should definitely apply to your state MD schools.
Your shadowing is fine. You don’t need any more. Your clinical experience is , I don’t really know. You really don’t seem to have much if any direct patient contact with the sick, injured and dying. What did you do in the lab for a year? The Seminar Series sounds really interesting but I’m not sure it is clinical experiences worthy. But maybe it is. Tell us about what exactly it is and what you will be contributing.
And I don’t think you have any nonclinical volunteering. At least you didn’t mention any that I see. This service should be focused on serving the unserved/underserved in your community. There are lots of ways you can do this. Find a homeless shelter or soup kitchen and volunteer a day a week. You could do Meals on Wheels. I’m a big proponent of volunteering at a veteran centers. Our vets love to talk and tell stories. All they need is someone to listen. You could coach a youth sports team for underprivileged kids. Like I said lots of opportunities are out there, you just have to step outside your comfort zone and find them. When you get your MCAT score back and you have a school list comeback and people will help you fine tune your list. Good Luck on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user