WAMC/School List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulphysiciansoon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am preparing to re-apply if I don't end up getting in this cycle. I've been lucky to have 5 MD iis so far, however 1 has turned into a R and the other a W. Still waiting on the third school for a post-ii decision, and the 4th for a second-round interview. I also have an upcoming interview soon for the 5th school.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • CGPA=3.50
    • sGPA=3.64
    • gradGPA=4.0
    • Note: I did a 45 credit post bacc (All A's) to bring my cGPA and sGPA up to what it is now
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 517 (128,127,131,131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • NJ
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    • White dude
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    • College in Connecticut (Public)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Volunteer EMT since Jan. 2022, over 800 hours (continuing, anticipate 1k+ by may)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • 700+ hours (probably more) of research since Spring 2021; one 2nd author publication, 1 poster presentation, in basic bench science lab. (continuing research, but in a new lab now).
    • I anticipate graduating this spring with my master's and have been offered to join a new research lab to work full-time in it.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 40 hours with primary care doctor.
    • 70 virtual (do these event count?)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • Peer Mentor for one semester in Fall 2021, 30 hours
    • Virtual tutoring for low-income high school students since Aug. 2022, 150+ hours, continuing (anticipate 200ish by May)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Competed for my club sport boxing team in my undergrad (1000+ hours over 4 years)
    • Lots of paid tutoring and being a teaching assistant for bio classes since Spring 2022 (800+ hours, continuing)
    • Engineering internship back in summer 2019 (400 hours)
    • I am a current graduate student, but my school offered me an adjunct professor position and I've been teaching since last Fall semester.
      • Taught two lab sections and will be teaching three this Spring (anticipated 400+ hours by May)
  11. Relevant honours or awards
    • Dean's list (ya i know im lame)
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • If it isn't obvious I'm a non-trad. I graduated back in 2020 with an engineering degree, and went back to do my post-bacc. Finished my post-bacc (45 credits, 4.0) and decided to do a master's in biology.
    • This spring 2024 will be my last semester, anticipating to graduate with a 4.0.
  13. School list:
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Northeast Ohio State University
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
Drexel University College of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
New York Medical College
Albany Medical College
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University College of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Tufts School of Medicine
Dartmouth
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine at TCU
Saint Louis University School of Medicine

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Indicate which schools invited you and their decisions if known now.

Focus on your upcoming interview. The one thing that stands out is how light your non-clinical volunteering/community service looks. Tutoring/teaching doesn't usually fall into this category, and you have a ton of teaching. However, it just takes one school to throw an offer to you.

Could you explain why you applied to NEOMED? Western Michigan? Toledo? Creighton? Did you hear back from Carle Illinois? Texas A&M EnMed?

I noticed that you have TCU, one of the schools in TMDSAS, on your list. Are you a resident of the Republic of Texas? If you are going to apply to schools in both MDs and DOs, in Texas, you will need to go through TMDSAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indicate which schools invited you and their decisions if known now.

Focus on your upcoming interview. The one thing that stands out is how light your non-clinical volunteering/community service looks. Tutoring/teaching doesn't usually fall into this category, and you have a ton of teaching. However, it just takes one school to throw an offer to you.

Could you explain why you applied to NEOMED? Western Michigan? Toledo? Creighton? Did you hear back from Carle Illinois? Texas A&M EnMed?

Virginia Tech - R
Rutgers NJMS - W
NEOMED: Waiting on post-ii decision
Wmed: Waiting to see if i get a second interview
Drexel: Got the ii for next week

I have not heard from Toledo yet, or Carle Illinois. I did not apply to Texas A&M but I was wondering if I should for next cycle.

I did not apply to Texas A&M but I was wondering if I should for next cycle.
Well for the moment, focus on your interviews. You are prudent to keep improving your profile, but don't let reapplying worries kill your current chances to get accepted.

Well for the moment, focus on your interviews. You are prudent to keep improving your profile, but don't let reapplying worries kill your current chances to get accepted.

Okay thank you for the advice!

And ya if its not obvious I love teaching lol. I was actually interested in beginning a new volunteer position as an ESL tutor. I think its something I would enjoy, but if non-clinical hours are a weak spot on my app I guess I should find sometbing else, as I already have a pretty packed schedule and don't think I could spend any more time doing two new activities.

Would you suggest I find some other non-clinical volunteer position instead of the ESL tutoring?

Okay thank you for the advice!

And ya if its not obvious I love teaching lol. I was actually interested in beginning a new volunteer position as an ESL tutor. I think its something I would enjoy, but if non-clinical hours are a weak spot on my app I guess I should find sometbing else, as I already have a pretty packed schedule and don't think I could spend any more time doing two new activities.

Would you suggest I find some other non-clinical volunteer position instead of the ESL tutoring?
Yeah, I think you have made it clear you enjoy teaching or mentoring. :)