WAMC? (advice needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaysonddshopeful

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/1/23
Overall GPA: 3.1
Science/BCP GPA: 2.7
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
PAT 24
QR 23
RC 24
BIO 21
GC 25
OC 24
Total Science 22
Academic Average 23

State of Residence: Illinois
Major: B.A. Biology
Minor: none
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hrs general/pediatrics
Volunteering Experience:
Employment: Intern at pediatric dentistry office, dental assistant at oral surgery center
Research:
Other Extracurriculars:
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Attended pre-dental event at UIC
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List 2x
LOR type and strength:
1 from a general dentist - strong
1 from physics professor - strong
1 from physics professor - Unsure
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Low GPA, one failed class

School List:
SIU
UIC
Midwestern (IL)
UMich
LSU

Made a mistake of applying to a bunch of OS schools which denied me. I have only done 1 interview in Oct and have not heard from any others. Will it hurt to send an update letter at this point to show my desire?
If I do not make it to any school this cycle, what should I do to strengthen my application next year? My main concerns are my low GPA, no research/volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

LSU was a donation, unfortunately. UMich was a pretty big stretch. With your GPA I would have recommended at least 12-15 schools. Marquette, Minnesota, Creighton, UDM, Louisville, and Case Western could have been on your radar.

Was the interview with MW-IL? Were you waitlisted?

The difficult part is schools could maybe look past a lower GPA if you've shown academic improvement over the last few years with an upward trend in your GPA. However, not having any volunteer hours or any extracurriculars really doesn't make you stand out compared to other applicants. It really hurts your app not to have anything except grades and a few things here and there.

I think if you are going to reapply, what could benefit you most is a post-bacc in stem-heavy courses so you can show schools you can handle a tough courseload as well as really getting some volunteer hours under your belt. Look for opportunities that serve the less fortunate: homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, etc. Anything with leadership would also help you out. You don't need research unless you're applying to research heavy schools: state schools/Ivys. Otherwise it's not a huge deal. Volunteering is more important as you will be serving a community in school and after graduation.

If you have anything to update schools about, send a letter. But with what you have listed here, I'm not sure what you could update them on. If you did well in your fall term that can be something to highlight.

Reactions: 1 user
LSU was a donation, unfortunately. UMich was a pretty big stretch. With your GPA I would have recommended at least 12-15 schools. Marquette, Minnesota, Creighton, UDM, Louisville, and Case Western could have been on your radar.

Was the interview with MW-IL? Were you waitlisted?

The difficult part is schools could maybe look past a lower GPA if you've shown academic improvement over the last few years with an upward trend in your GPA. However, not having any volunteer hours or any extracurriculars really doesn't make you stand out compared to other applicants. It really hurts your app not to have anything except grades and a few things here and there.

I think if you are going to reapply, what could benefit you most is a post-bacc in stem-heavy courses so you can show schools you can handle a tough courseload as well as really getting some volunteer hours under your belt. Look for opportunities that serve the less fortunate: homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, etc. Anything with leadership would also help you out. You don't need research unless you're applying to research heavy schools: state schools/Ivys. Otherwise it's not a huge deal. Volunteering is more important as you will be serving a community in school and after graduation.

If you have anything to update schools about, send a letter. But with what you have listed here, I'm not sure what you could update them on. If you did well in your fall term that can be something to highlight.
Thanks for your reply. Interview was not with MW. I only listed the remaining schools that I've not received the decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. Interview was not with MW. I only listed the remaining schools that I've not received the decisions.
so is your sGPA 2.7 or 3.0?
cannot be both...

Reactions: 1 user
Will it hurt to send an update letter at this point to show my desire?
If I do not make it to any school this cycle, what should I do to strengthen my application next year? My main concerns are my low GPA, no research/volunteering.
Yeah I don't see any community service. What did you put down on your application?

Your GPA warrants an SMP. I have doubts any school would interview you unless you showed a passion with their mission through activities. You can try an update letter but expect getting ghosted. All but the privates should be done giving interview invitations unless they are filling gaps.

Being honest and disclosing as much as you can will help us give you tailored advice. The quality of advice we give you depends on what you tell us and wish to keep on record.

Last edited:
so is your sGPA 2.7 or 3.0?
cannot be both...

is there anything else you are not telling us?
giving us incorrect information and deleting/editing posts does not help us help you

not having any volunteering/activities combined with a low gpa is a huge red flag
you are going to have to try and research post-baccs and/or special masters programs to prove to schools you can handle the workload of a professional program...

is there anything else you are not telling us?
giving us incorrect information and deleting/editing posts does not help us help you

not having any volunteering/activities combined with a low gpa is a huge red flag
you are going to have to try and research post-baccs and/or special masters programs to prove to schools you can handle the workload of a professional program...
Oh no, not at all.
I just don't have a whole lot to show for. I did a lot of community service during high school days, not during college.

So what was the result of your interview? Have you heard back? Round 2 of offers is impending now that January 16 is here. There's always some hope until you are rejected, but we point out what is an obvious shortcoming with most schools.