WAMC after reinvention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zanaflexing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
could really use some guidance with my weird application, any words of advice would be so so so appreciated. initially had a 3.1 cgpa/2.9 sgpa and 508 mcat. knew my stats were pretty bad, decided to apply anyway a few years ago, and managed to get an interview at one school but was rejected after waitlist. so i headed down the path of reinvention, did 2 semesters of post-bac at a CC (21 credits over 2 semesters with a 4.0) and retook the mcat (very balanced 516 - 128/130/129/129) which left me feeling more confident about my chances, but now i have no idea what schools to apply to. basically what i've been told is i have a pretty decent app *but* my gpa is borderline awful even after the post-bac, so that's my biggest concern. planning on applying to all my instate schools but for out of state i have no idea, msar wasn't really helpful since my gpa and mcat are so contrasted

other stuff:
ORM (white) but low SES, using fee waiver so limited to 20 MD schools (also applying DO though)
SC resident - did undergrad at USC
lots of volunteering with free clinic and soup kitchen (200 hours), as well as plenty of shadowing
worked full time as a CNA in hospital for 2 years
research is meh, just 100ish hours in a lab as an undergrad and 0 pubs
no other notable awards or achievements

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chances are your 3 SC state public MD schools. You could also try these OOS schools:
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Eastern Virginia
For DO schools I suggest these with your stats:
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYIT (both schools)
You may be screened out at the VCOMs with your GPAs.

you're absolutely amazing, thank you so much for helping not only me but pretty much every other poster in this forum - i really appreciate it

given my gpa, i get that an MD acceptance is relatively unlikely, but do you think i'm in somewhat safe territory for DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
you're absolutely amazing, thank you so much for helping not only me but pretty much every other poster in this forum - i really appreciate it

given my gpa, i get that an MD acceptance is relatively unlikely, but do you think i'm in somewhat safe territory for DO?
Less unlikely then you may think. What is your gpa cumulatively now?

Reactions: 1 user

You should receive multiple DO interviews.

@Faha i'm currently doing secondaries but noticed on MSAR that some schools have a required number of postbac credits to be considered? for example, rush says you need to have at least 24 hours of postbac credits for it to be considered - is that an actual thing?

@Faha i'm currently doing secondaries but noticed on MSAR that some schools have a required number of postbac credits to be considered? for example, rush says you need to have at least 24 hours of postbac credits for it to be considered - is that an actual thing?
Contact each school and see how their policy applies to your application.

You'll have to understand why and ask. Often we see applicants who have a postbac GPA of 4.0 because they took 1 or 2 classes (6 credit hours) and have to compare with real re-inventors who take 8 to 10 classes (24 to 30 hours). Not all schools will have a policy like Rush, but I can see why such a policy would help those who are committed reinventors.