WAMC and additional school suggestions? (3.68/511->520)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alittlebit97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I’m pretty new to SDN but was hoping to get some feedback on my application chances for MD and suggestions for additional schools to apply to (I’m aiming for 5-10 more). App was verified 7/14.

My Stats:
  • cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.55 (upward trend from 3.4 freshman year to 3.8 senior)
  • First MCAT: 8/2018 511 (128/130/127/126), retook 6/2021: 520 (130/131/130/129)
  • MA resident, attended large MA state school
  • White and Filipino
  • Clinical:
    • ~100 hours volunteering in ER during college
    • 1 year full-time CRC in Boston before and during COVID (performed research visits & phlebotomy as well as scheduling work, mentioned in PS and marked as one of my most meaningful activities)
  • Research:
    • 8 month full-time research co-op during undergrad at a pharmaceutical company, returned this year in a different department (4000+ hours).
    • Late author on a research paper about the usefulness of phone apps re: COVID at the start of the pandemic (small journal).
  • Shadowing: Included some hours observing biopsies as a CRC, about double that observing a clinical pharmacist specializing in diabetes care, projected ~15 hours shadowing my PCP this summer
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 2+ years as a suicide hotline calltaker (mentioned in PS and marked as one of my most meaningful activities)
  • Other extracurricular activities:
    • worked throughout college as dorm security (~2000hrs)
    • live-in peer mentor to freshmen for 1.5 years (400hrs, similar to an RA but more focused on academic adjustment)
    • Participate in bands since middle school (including community bands now after college), 4 years in marching band, 2 years of leadership positions (incl. rec letter from my band director who knows me well)
    • Lab TA for two semesters, really strong rec letter from the professor of the more advanced lab I TA’d

Currently applied:
  • Quinnipiac
  • Tufts
  • Hackensack Meridian
  • UMass Med
  • Boston University (out of my stat range but I would love to go here)
  • University of Vermont
  • University of Toledo
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Geisinger
  • Rush
  • Virginia Tech Carilion
  • Wake Forest
  • Nova Southeastern
  • University of Illinois College of Medicine
  • Case Western
  • Penn State (low yield I think?)
  • Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Northeast Ohio
  • George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (also low yield)

I’m hoping to add ~5-10 more schools but wasn’t too sure what my best bet would be, especially with my (I think) lopsided GPA/MCAT! I also would appreciate any general feedback; I’m currently volunteering in an inpatient psych unit to try to keep up with clinical work but if you notice any gaps/weaknesses in my app I would love to hear about them!

Members don't see this ad.

Toledo, Northeast Ohio, Buffalo, Virginia Tech accept few applicants with no connection to the state or region. You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Jefferson
Western Michigan
Miami
USF Morsani
St. Louis
Tulane

Toledo, Northeast Ohio, Buffalo, Virginia Tech accept few applicants with no connection to the state or region. You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Jefferson
Western Michigan
Miami
USF Morsani
St. Louis
Tulane
Thank you so much!! I'll look into these and put the four OOS-unfriendly on the backburner.