WAMC and Advice For Upcoming Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hayleyjp

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 3.4c (sGPA around there too) and 515 MCAT score... which aren't incredible stats. I went to UMich-Ann Arbor and was an independently funded student with no access to most loans due to my parents claiming me as a dependent and refusing to cosign for loans. I was working 30 hour weeks with 18 credits (which sounds pretty whiny, but I'm hoping that gives some context to my GPA).

I then worked as a neurogenetics lab technician for a year and a half and now work as a medical scribe.

My question really is- do I apply to an SMP this year and apply to medical school next year or am I competitive for DO/lower tier medical schools for the upcoming cycle with no SMP? And if I am competitive for those, recommendations for schools would be so helpful.

Thanks for reading my long post, good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a Michigan resident ? Do you have any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact or physician shadowing hours ? How many scribe hours ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a Michigan resident ? Do you have any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact or physician shadowing hours ? How many scribe hours ?

I am a Michigan resident, I volunteered in a children's hospital for three years and a psych ward for a year, physician shadowing/scribe hours cumulative 200 or so by the time June rolls around!

I suggest these MD schools with your stats
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton