WAMC and School list, 522 MCAT, 3.9 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamanonymous

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I would value your input on my school list. One of my greatest concerns is yield protection due to high stats coupled with ECs with mediocre hours. My EC are all meaningful, but I believe the hours are on the lower side for Top 20 schools. Any advice would be appreciated.
  1. 3.9 cGPA and 3.9 sGPA
  2. MCAT: 522 (130/132/129/131)
  3. AZ
  4. White
  5. State Public school
  6. Clinical experience:
    • Scribing – Currently 150 hours, will continue over gap year.
    • Volunteered at local community health center ~ 30 hrs surveying patients and connecting them to various social resources.
    • Volunteered at free medical clinics organized by club ~ 30 hrs.
    • Foreign medical volunteering ~ 100 hrs split between shadowing and volunteering at medical brigades/ teaching public health lessons
  7. Research – 100 hours, one short presentation. Will continue over gap year.
  8. Shadowing – 5 hours IM . Hoping that scribing and foreign shadowing will make up for this.
  9. Non clinical volunteering:
    • ~75 hours mentoring/ tutoring at local middle school, will continue over gap year.
    • ~ 60 hrs serving homeless / organizing book drive for foster children
  10. Other:
    • Resident Assistant `~ 2 years
    • Lifeguard ~ 7 years
  11. N/A
  12. N/A
School List-
Hopkins
Wash U
Duke
Penn
Columbia
NYU
Emory
Vanderbilt
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Hofstra
Ohio state
UVA
UCLA
USC
Arizona Tucson
Arizona Phoenix
Stony Brook
Miami

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a chance anywhere. GPA isn't 4.0, and MCAT isn't 528. I highly suggest you look into naturopathic medical schools.

Joking aside, your stats are extremely competitive for any school in the US. The only potential "app killer" imo is the lack of shadowing in the US, since shadowing in a foreign setting and shadowing in a US clinical setting are vastly different (again, imo). I think your #1 priority should be to hit that 50-hour mark in the US before June rolls around, which should be more than doable.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get more primary care shadowing and clinical volunteering. The foreign stuff might not count and may be viewed as medical tourism. Do this during your gap year if you wind up as a high-stat reapplicant. If you're really aiming for the likes of Harvard, you might consider another gap year to boost those things; those hours are pretty scant. However, your stats are high, and your ECs barely adequate...so the low hours might be forgiven.

How many hours of research do you anticipate accumulating in your gap year? Unless there is significant productivity that you can update schools on I would suggest removing Columbia, Hopkins, and Penn, and adding a few schools like BU (or similar). Everything else about your app/list looks sufficient for an acceptance.

Get more primary care shadowing and clinical volunteering. The foreign stuff might not count and may be viewed as medical tourism. Do this during your gap year if you wind up as a high-stat reapplicant. If you're really aiming for the likes of Harvard, you might consider another gap year to boost those things; those hours are pretty scant. However, your stats are high, and your ECs barely adequate...so the low hours might be forgiven.
Agree 100% with Walt

Reactions: 1 user
How many hours of research do you anticipate accumulating in your gap year? Unless there is significant productivity that you can update schools on I would suggest removing Columbia, Hopkins, and Penn, and adding a few schools like BU (or similar). Everything else about your app/list looks sufficient for an acceptance.

I am currently researching for 6 hours once a week, once I graduate in May I plan on doubling that to 12 hours a week. This should give me at least another 250 hours in my gap year.

Thanks for the advice.