WAMC and School List Help: 3.7 cGPA ,514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verdant23

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd appreciate some suggestions on any schools to add to my list for this cycle. Submitted August 2, still waiting to be verified. I know it's getting late but since I don't have a ton of safe/target schools it probably wouldn't hurt to add some.

1. cGPA: 3.71, sGPA: 3.45
2. MCAT: 514 (127/127/128/132)
3. Nebraska
4. White
5. Public in-state university -- B.S. in Management; Entrepreneurship Focus (through selective entrepreneurship/management program)
Minors: Math, Biology
Graduated spring 2022; 2 gap years by matriculation fall 2024
6. Clinical Paid:
  • Phlebotomy (hospital & outpatient): 1.5 years, 1300 hours
  • ER Tech at a Level 1 trauma center: 8 months 1060 hours, anticipated +1890 (total 2950)
Clinical Volunteering:
  • Free medical clinic: 2 years, 150 hours, anticipated +40
7. Research:
  • Virology: 1 year, 800 hours, 2 publications (4th & 5th author), got an undergrad research grant from university and presented PPT at university symposium for it
  • USDA plant genetics: 10 months, 450 hours
  • Honors thesis “publication” on hospital management
8. Shadowing:
  • 67 hours (ER 44 hours, GI Oncology 4 hours, Ortho clinical & OR 19 hours), anticipated 48 hours (primary care, obgyn, infectious disease)
9. Nonclinical Volunteering:
  • Habitat for Humanity: 9 months, 48 hours, anticipated +80
  • Equine therapy for people with disabilities: 6 months, 38 hours, anticipated +80
10. Other Extracurriculars:
  • Leadership: exec team of campus entrepreneurship organization: 2 years, 600 hours
  • Leadership: team captain for national case competition
  • Non-Clinical Work ~1600 hours
11. Honors/awards
  • Honors Program
  • 2 national business case competitions
  • Dean's list
  • Won a couple campus startup pitch competitions
  • Got a university-sponsored undergrad research grant for virology research

Schools I’ve applied to so far:
  • Case Western Reserve
  • Duke
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Kaiser Permanente - Tyson
  • Mayo Clinic - Alix
  • Stanford
  • UC-Irvine
  • UCLA
  • University of Iowa - Carver
  • University of Nebraska
  • North Carolina - Chapel Hill
  • University of Virginia
  • South Florida Morsani
  • Vanderbilt
  • Cornell
  • Yale

Disclaimers:
  • I know it’s late in the cycle, I wanted to apply earlier but here we are
  • I realize my school list is mostly reach schools; I wasn’t sure what target schools to apply to besides my state school and since it’s a pretty good school I’d need a good reason to go elsewhere

Members don't see this ad.

***also I haven't applied to Texas or DO schools but I would consider them. Might be getting too late though?

UC Irvine and UNC admit very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state so do not bother with those secondaries. Your list of schools is top heavy with your MCAT of 514 and sGPA of 3.45 . I see only 4 schools where you have a realistic chance for an Interview (Nebraska, Kaiser, USF Morsani and Iowa). I suggest adding these schools today:
Creighton
St. Louis
TCU
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UC Irvine and UNC admit very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state so do not bother with those secondaries. Your list of schools is top heavy with your MCAT of 514 and sGPA of 3.45 . I see only 4 schools where you have a realistic chance for an Interview (Nebraska, Kaiser, USF Morsani and Iowa). I suggest adding these schools today:
Creighton
St. Louis
TCU
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you so much for your advice! I'll look into these schools.
I didn't mention I do have a connection to California -- my dad's 2 siblings live there (the rest of his family is still in South Africa where he's from). Not sure if this is enough of a connection to help with California schools, but it is the only state besides NE that I have family in.

I didn't mention I do have a connection to California -- my dad's 2 siblings live there (the rest of his family is still in South Africa where he's from). Not sure if this is enough of a connection to help with California schools, but it is the only state besides NE that I have family in.
Do they live in Orange County? Frankly with so many California applicants, having family in the area may have a marginal effect.

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll look into these schools.
That is not a connection for the purpose of medical school admissions.