WAMC and school list suggestions, 3.82/508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slaystem

Reaction score
I am applying to only MD schools this cycle and know I have a weaker app and lower stats; I fully realize there is a strong chance I'll end up having to take a gap year and I've planned for that, but I appreciate any feedback and suggestions!
  1. cGPA 3.83 sGPA 3.77
  2. MCAT 508, unbalanced :( (123/128/129/128)
  3. Indiana resident, ties to Pennsylvania and Louisiana)
  4. White female
  5. Undergrad at Purdue; double major in genetics and health&disease, certificate in medical humanities
  6. Clinical experience: ~1000 hours working as a scribe in the hospitalist department and ED; I am a trainer in both departments, and I am the Lead of the hospitalist scribes, meaning I oversee the training, auditing, and scheduling of 30 scribes and serve as a line of communication between the doctors and scribes
  7. No research
  8. Shadowing: 50 hours: 10 hours Family Medicine, 10 hours ED, 10 hours GI, 20 hours nephrology, trying to do OB soon
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours driving for Meals on Wheels, 100 hours volunteering on the fundraising committee of my school's dance marathon, helping to educate dance marathon participants about raising money for Riley Children's Hospital
  10. Other extracurricular activities: I play violin a little?
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list and semester honors all semesters
  12. School list so far: IU, Albany, CMUCOM, Drexel, QCOM, Loyola, Rush, State University of NY Upstate, Tulane, U Illinois, and Wake Forest
I am not from a medically underserved area but I do work in one, and my personal statement has a lot to do with advocating for patients in such areas, especially those that cannot advocate for themselves as I live in an area with a large linguistically isolated population and have seen the ways providers treat those patients differently.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
CMU is rural focused, so you would need to be scribing in a rural area for that to work.

What are your ties to Louisiana?

Your low community service makes Tulane, Loyola and Rush not worth it as they strong value that as part of their mission (with Rush expecting several hundred to 1000+ hours).

Sad to tell you fundraising doesn't show service orientation (leadership perhaps) so the hours there won't impress committees. Get at least 100 more hours with Meals on Wheels and you'll avoid getting screened out.

If you care about the medically underserved, I would add Marian DO as an in-state option. Don't have so much pride in getting just an MD that you lose sight of your goal to be a doctor to underserved communities who need you.

The OOS public schools on your list admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Creighton
TCU
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State