WAMC- apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1004337

1. cGPA: 3.4 and sGPA: 3.3--- doing an SMP starting fall 2020
2. MCAT: 493 (Retake Aug 2020)
3. Texas resident
4. Asian
5. Clinical hours: 200 hours (shadowing + vol)
6. Non-Clinical hours: 500 hours
7. Biochem TA, Executive board for a huge event on campus
9. Great Research (>1000 hours) no pubs, but multiple presentations and abstract submissions.

- My MCAT studying is going superb! I am already at the 500 mark now and still have >2 months for the actual exam.
- My biggest question is, should I apply with the 493 MCAT score NOW and then update with my new score in September? OR just send all MCAT scores together in September? (so my app don't be marked "complete" till Sept)
- I am applying to all texas schools and couple DO OOS. What are your recommendations?

Really appreciate it, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you should apply next cycle after raising your MCAT and GPA (through SMP). Just based on statistics, your chances right now aren't very good. The average MD matriculant MCAT is ~510 and GPA ~3.7. Also, I wouldn't rely on updates; one of my interviewers didn't even realize I updated the school twice... he only had my primary/secondary.

I'd also consider applying to more DO schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You are not competitive for any MD or DO schools with your MCAT of 493. If you increase your MCAT to 500 you could receive interviews at some DO schools. Post your actual score here in the future when available. Applying in September is not late for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be foolish to apply this cycle. Take your time. You currently aren’t competitive for MD or DO schools. So study hard and do the best you can in The SMP and then the MCAT. Remember you absolutely have to do extremely well in the SMP to prove to ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school. By applying now or before you finish the SMP you will not have the grades from courses you are taking to share with the ADCOMS. It would be much wiser to wait a cycle or two so you have the best application possible. Good luck.

That MCAT is way too low to submit now. What are your linkage possibilities with your SMP?

Yes, my SMP does have a linkage. We get a guaranteed interview to the med school. In the past years, ~60% of the SMP graduates from their medical school actually get accepted to their SOM.

It would be foolish to apply this cycle. Take your time. You currently aren’t competitive for MD or DO schools. So study hard and do the best you can in The SMP and then the MCAT. Remember you absolutely have to do extremely well in the SMP to prove to ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school. By applying now or before you finish the SMP you will not have the grades from courses you are taking to share with the ADCOMS. It would be much wiser to wait a cycle or two so you have the best application possible. Good luck.

Understood. Makes sense, thank you.

Reactions: 1 user