WAMC-Applying this cycle:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bng13

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a junior double major in Biology and Environmental studies (with a chemistry minor) and I am applying this cycle. I was wondering if you all could tell me what my chances are and help me decide in where to apply.

Cum GPA: 3.6 (hoping to increase this semester to a 3.75)
Science GPA: 3.5 (hoping to increase this semester to a 3.6)
Last 45 hours: 3.81

Research: I am currently doing cardiac research (about 100 hours so far)

Veterinary experience (total: 1,200)
500 hours small animal clinic
500 hours equine specific

Non veterinary animal experience (1500 total hours):
1000 Shelter volunteer
500 hours Wildlife Apprentice-took care of exotic and endangered animals (hellbenders + american burying beetles)
200 hours various citizen science projects

Volunteer hours
Arboretum volunteer (100 hours)
Little Libraries (100 hours)
Fitness Program (200 hours)

Leadership Positions
Captain of Varsity soccer team
Phi Mu Fraternity Cabinet member
Book club President
Pre-vet club secretary

Other stuff
I am a 200 hour certified yoga instructor

Awards
Academic All-star team
Defensive player of the year
Dean's list recipient

Letters of Rec
2 vets I have worked with
1 from the professor I do research with
1 from ecology professor

Employment outside of vet med:
currently work as a office assistant for MSA program at my school

Hobbies outside of vet med:
Reading
Soccer
Yoga
Hiking

I was hoping to apply to Ohio State, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, and Tennessee. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!
So after looking at your hours and your GPA and such, I would say you have a pretty good chance at getting in :). I would definitely suggest applying to your in-state school if you have one ( I didn't have an in-state school :( so it was a little rough :/ ).
I think your GPA is good and on top of taking all those science classes being a double major bio/environmental major is awesome along with that chemistry minor. That will definitely set you apart from a lot of other applicants.
Having research experience is a great thing to have, I know some of the interviews I went on they liked to ask about research and research topics which were of concern to the veterinary field.
And your non-animal and animal hours look amazing. I would definitely remember what you can from your exotic experience. That will also be something that sets you apart from your fellow applicants. The fact you have a really well-rounded experience with large and small animals is good too :)

Most schools really like to see that your a well-rounded person and vet med is not the only thing that defines you :). I would say you have good chances! Good luck with applications and everything!

Reactions: 1 user
For illinois, you look pretty solid. Improvement points are upping those grades if you can just purely for security, and possibly getting more varied vet experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that ISU only uses a very specific set of classes in calculating science GPA (the ones marked with an asterisk on this page), and a lot of applicants to the school who aren’t aware of this end up with a lower GPA there than what they may have anticipated. You can actually see it somewhat reflected in the previous class stats, too, as the average accepted science GPA tends to be lower than most other schools. If you haven’t, I’d recalculate your science GPA using ISU’s criteria just so you have a better approximation of what it will likely be going in (your grades are honestly good enough that it probably won’t make much of an appreciable difference, but I don’t want you to get blindsided, either).

Anyway, I think your stats are fine. If you can get your GPAs up to right around where you posted that you want them to be, then you’ll be pretty solidly set academically. I do agree with @batsenecal that you could probably use some more diverse vet experience but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker. Your research sounds cool.

Are you IS for any of the schools you’re applying to?

For illinois, you look pretty solid. Improvement points are upping those grades if you can just purely for security, and possibly getting more varied vet experience.

Thank you so much! I will be sure to do my best.

Keep in mind that ISU only uses a very specific set of classes in calculating science GPA (the ones marked with an asterisk on this page), and a lot of applicants to the school who aren’t aware of this end up with a lower GPA there than what they may have anticipated. You can actually see it somewhat reflected in the previous class stats, too, as the average accepted science GPA tends to be lower than most other schools. If you haven’t, I’d recalculate your science GPA using ISU’s criteria just so you have a better approximation of what it will likely be going in (your grades are honestly good enough that it probably won’t make much of an appreciable difference, but I don’t want you to get blindsided, either).

Anyway, I think your stats are fine. If you can get your GPAs up to right around where you posted that you want them to be, then you’ll be pretty solidly set academically. I do agree with @batsenecal that you could probably use some more diverse vet experience but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker. Your research sounds cool.

Are you IS for any of the schools you’re applying to?

I am IS for Ohio. Thank you for your comments!

Hi!
So after looking at your hours and your GPA and such, I would say you have a pretty good chance at getting in :). I would definitely suggest applying to your in-state school if you have one ( I didn't have an in-state school :( so it was a little rough :/ ).
I think your GPA is good and on top of taking all those science classes being a double major bio/environmental major is awesome along with that chemistry minor. That will definitely set you apart from a lot of other applicants.
Having research experience is a great thing to have, I know some of the interviews I went on they liked to ask about research and research topics which were of concern to the veterinary field.
And your non-animal and animal hours look amazing. I would definitely remember what you can from your exotic experience. That will also be something that sets you apart from your fellow applicants. The fact you have a really well-rounded experience with large and small animals is good too :)

Most schools really like to see that your a well-rounded person and vet med is not the only thing that defines you :). I would say you have good chances! Good luck with applications and everything!

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Reactions: 1 user