WAMC - 1st time applicant for 2026 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

parakeetproud

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I'm a 23F recent college graduate and MA resident taking a gap year to gain more experience in vet med before applying. I'm in the dark about whether or not I make up a competitive applicant and could really use some help. While my GPA is about average, I've been eager to get all the experience I can during my gap year. I will also be retaking 2 classes in which I received two C+ in and taking the Casper if needed. I'm interested in possibly becoming an oncologist or zoological veterinarian in the future. I haven't been able to round off what vet schools I'd like to apply to and could use some advice.

Cumulative GPA: 3.44
Last 45: 3.5

Veterinary experience
Equine vet intern/shadow: 36 hours
Small animal gp intern: 110 hours
Small animal gp vet assistant: 330 hours (will have substantially more hours by the time of application)

Animal experience
Dog shelter volunteer: 35 hours
Dog daycare attendant/van operator: 350 hours
Zoo internship w/ primates: 130 hours
Zoo job within an aviary: 350 hours (may have more, need to check in)

Volunteer experience (non-animal related)
Student alumni association in college: ~100 hours

Independent research
Research w/ marine invertebrates: 80 hours
Research w/ frogs: 20 hours

Extracurriculars
Pre-health society, First Gen honor society, student alumni association (college)
Student council, honor society, cheerleading (hs)

Employment (non-animal related)
Family business convenient store: 200 hours
Curtsy seller (secondhand clothing thrift):100 hours roughly

Achievements
Merit scholarship, Tri-Alpha honor society inductee, Dean's List (5 semesters), held high honors in hs
 
Last edited:
I think you have some pretty great experiences under your belt, but I would recommend doing some more large animal work, like bovine or working on a farm. Your gpa is pretty average like you said (its ok, mine was too!) so I would probably focus more on schools that aren't super gpa heavy. Maybe applying to places like Ohio, LIU, LSU, Iowa, U of A, Midwestern, Michigan, etc would be good choices! Tufts is your in state so you should probably apply there too, although I think it will be just as expensive as most other schools that are out of state. Maybe also branch out with some more extracurriculars, like a sport or art, as your only extras as of now are what you had in college and high school.
 
I think you have some pretty great experiences under your belt, but I would recommend doing some more large animal work, like bovine or working on a farm. Your gpa is pretty average like you said (its ok, mine was too!) so I would probably focus more on schools that aren't super gpa heavy. Maybe applying to places like Ohio, LIU, LSU, Iowa, U of A, Midwestern, Michigan, etc would be good choices! Tufts is your in state so you should probably apply there too, although I think it will be just as expensive as most other schools that are out of state. Maybe also branch out with some more extracurriculars, like a sport or art, as your only extras as of now are what you had in college and high school.
Thank you!!! I really appreciate the feedback!!! I actually practice tattoo work and draw/paint on glassware as a hobby. Does this count towards extracurriculars? I haven't been able to find exactly what defines an extracurricular on the applications.
 
Last edited:
That definitely would count. that’s an awesome extracurricular!! and honestly i think it’s really anything you do outside of vet med