WAMC - Applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc6

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm planning on applying to vet school this application cycle, and I am extremely nervous. I know VMCAS opens soon (tomorrow I believe) for prospective applicants to start logging their hours, so it's even more nerve-wracking that the application date is getting closer! I live in Arizona and I plan to apply to Midwestern and Arizona, but I'm not sure of where else to apply to and what my chances are for other schools. I didn't take the GRE, which I know limits my pool. I started all of my experience in 2020 and as a full-time student, so I've been trying to fill up my plate as much as I can to get as much experience as I can in the field. Here is more about me:

Current 20 y/o third year undergraduate student, pursuing B.S. in Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.95
Also minoring in violin performance

Veterinary Experience:
- 538 hours vet tech (and counting) at SA hospital
- 1,059.65 hours kennel tech at SA hospital (here is where I learned tech skills, such as blood draws, running lab work, administering meds/vaccines/injections, etc.)
- 34 hours shadowing exotic animal hospital

Animal Experience:
- 52.7 hours volunteering as an exotic animal keeper/caretaker in the exotic animal department of an animal shelter
- 96 hours volunteering as a baby bird caretaker at a wildlife rehab center
- 96 hours volunteering as a "zookeeper" at a zoo
- 6.43 hours volunteering at a horse ranch in the maintenance department

Non-Veterinary/Animal Experience:
- 150 hours (and counting) as a private violin instructor with my own small studio
- 5 hours (and counting) as a private violin instructor for the music school at my university

Research Experience:
- 45 hours (and counting) in a fish physiology research lab - lots of dissections!
- 6 hours (and counting) in a shark research lab - I am in the start of working on a research project for an aquarium in my state on a couple of their fishes.

What else can I do to shape up my application? I know I don't have as many hours as I should. Volunteering is very difficult, due to extremely tight finances, but I plan on volunteering for the wildlife rehab center again in a couple of months. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I applied this previous cycle!

I think you have a very strong application! You also have a lot of diverse animal experiences (exotics, small animal, zookeeper, bird and exotic animal caretaker, and fish and shark research labs) which is impressive and looks good! If you could, I'd recommend trying to get some equine/large animal veterinary shadowing hours if possible! I was able to get around 70 shadowing for 2 weeks over the summer. Make sure your essays/letter of recs are solid from individuals who know you well!

Also, a lot of schools no longer require the GRE so you could look into Mississippi, LMU, Tennessee, NC State, Minnesota, Missouri, and Florida! With your higher GPA, you could do some research and see what schools emphasize GPA, I believe Ohio State is one of them! Good luck on your journey and wishing you well!

Reactions: 1 user
What are your pre-req, last 45 credit, and science GPAs?

University of Arizona is your most likely chance for acceptance. Because Midwestern is a private school, you will not be prioritized as an in state student; they are hella expensive and would ideally be lower on your list.

Reactions: 1 user