WAMC applying this late in the cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zexalin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my realistic chances applying this late for schools like Wayne State and NYMC?

cGPA: 3.58 with an upward trend: ~3.3, ~3.5, ~3.8, ~3.72 (The low first two years are because I had to work 1500+ hours alongside my full-time courses due to a family issue. I'm currently in my fifth year and anticipate a 3.9, pulling up my cumulative to at least a 3.62).
MCAT: 509/515
Research:
- “Highlight”: Wrapping up my MASc. Stem cell engineering for heart repair. On one paper. First author on another. And currently submitting a review as a first author
- 18 months lab volunteer in a organic chemistry lab (this didn't yield in much and was the start of my research development so I don't even think I'm gonna put it on my app)
- ~16 months (8 months of it for my honours research thesis and the rest of the time independent of it) doing a clinical study on a canine heart failure drug for veterinary practice (1 first-author pub and conference presentation at ACVIM)
- 8 months (2 consecutive internships) investigating a cell therapy for heart failure (quite a few authorships on abstracts' conference presentations and seminars, some ongoing manuscripts, but I will not be a serious author)
- 8 months (honours research thesis) for a molecular cardiology project (some abstract and research proposal and results presentations)
- 7 months (4 months being for another honours research thesis) for a philosophy research project in metaphysics and ethics (currently receiving an award from my philosophy dept. for it and looking to publish it)
- 6 months published an independent philosophical critique in Harvard's undergraduate philosophy journal
Volunteer: tons
- 5+ years clinical work in a family medical clinic
- 300+ hours as an ER service volunteer
- 4+ years non-clinical (tutoring and mentoring high school students w/ disabilities and social problems, undergraduate student tutor, 2 years as a varsity athlete, Editor-in-Chief of my school research journal, President of my own high broadcast media company, Co-founder of an e-commerce start up with over $500k sales, Diversity Advocate for social work and addressing humanitarian concerns, Canadian Newcomer program volunteer, etc.)
- Not much shadowing since in Canada they dislike it, but I have been exposed to plenty at the medical center and ER I was in
LORs: pretty solid, I think, but I only have 3 since Canadian schools only need that much (1 from my internship PI who is an MD/PhD, 1 from my other PI who is a DVM/PhD, and the third is from my high school science teacher who's seen my entire journey). Is it necessary for me to get more? I can add a 4th and 5th from my current PIs.
Background: Ontario (Canadian) university, immigrant from Egypt due to the conflict (if this even matters)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying as an international Canadian student or are you a US citizen or permanent resident ?

Sorry I wasn’t clear on this. I’d be applying as an international Canadian student

Also, I made a mistake in my cGPA calculation. I’m actually sitting at a 3.68, and I’m finishing up my MASc. I’m not longer in my fifth year, that’s an old thread I posted and copied over.

Sorry about the confusion