WAMC: Approaching 3rd Cycle, Non Trad, low cum, high last 45

Started by froggielog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

froggielog

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Thank you for taking a moment to offer any advice!

I am gearing up for my 3rd cycle, and the rejections have definitely been taking a toll on my mental health. I have let the notion of being a veterinarian meld with my idea of self-worth and it’s really messing with my head. I am 28 years old and I feel SO behind. I have mentored so many current veterinary students and it’s so frustrating to watch them achieve my dream. Regardless, I have made a promise to myself to really work on my mental health and start therapy. I think even by making this post and realizing that I have accomplished so much over the years, is very helpful. I hope someone else can look at this as a fellow non trad and maybe not feel so alone.

As for my application, I know my GPA(s) are my main hinderance. I stupidly have a few Fs on my transcript because I didn’t use a Q or a W for health reasons. I regret so much not using my Qs and letting those mistakes tank my GPA. I had quite a few personal and health troubles in undergrad and truly did not do the best I know I was capable of back then.

I have a pretty length “gap” as I found a passion in zookeeping and shadowing under the zoo’s veterinarians immediately after undergrad. This solidified my goal of becoming an exotic animal veterinarian; however, it took much longer than I had planned to step away and refocus on going back to school. I am very proud of my performance in my master’s program; however, I am concerned that I may have made a mistake by choosing not to retake my prerequisite courses at that time and instead focusing on new upper-division science courses. I am commited to retaking more prerequisites and trying to boost my science GPA, I am just not sure the best way to do that.

My big questions:
  • Which schools look more kindly towards older prerequisites? My oldest is Gen Chem 1/2 taken in Fall of 2015.
  • I am planning on retaking Ochem 1 and Phys 1through UCSan Deigo extension this summer, but would appreciate any other advice if there is a better option I should consider. I need an online option, but I am worried about certain schools not taking this transfer credit.
  • Any other schools I should add to the list?
  • Am I doomed? (this is a joke)
(2024-2025 Cycle)
TAMU (IS): Denied Phase 1
Kansas: Interview Waitlisted, Not offered Interview

(2025-2026 Cycle)

TAMU (IS): Denied Phase 1
Kansas: Denied
Michigan: Denied (Did not meet science prereq)
Iowa: Waitlisted

(2026-2027 Cycle)
I would really like to keep trying at TAMU, but that’s probably futile with my grades.
MSU,Iowa, Oregon, CSU, Kansas? (I think I have officially timed out of their prereqs) + others after some more research

Cumulative GPA: TMDSAS: 3.14 / VMCAS 3.18
Science GPA: TMDSAS 2.92 / VMCAS 3.09 / 3.17 ISU
Last 45: 3.6 / 3.52 ISU

Any degrees achieved:
Bachelor of Science in Wildlife and Fisheries (Vertabrate Zoology) May 2019, final GPA 3.025
Master of Science in Biomedical Science, May 2025, final GPA 3.8

GRE results: Not taken

Veterinary Experience:
- Research Animal Technician for Schubot Center for Avian Health (~4000)
(Current full-time job)
- Wildlife Chemical Immobilization class at Texas A&M (60)
- Veterinary Technician 1 - Ward Nurse in Texas A&M Large Animal ICU (760)
- Veterinary Shadow in South Africa (64)
- Veterinary Technician 1 in Texas A&M Large Animal ICU (525)
- Aggieland Humane Society Spay and Neuter Unit (63)
- Veterinary Technician Assistant in Texas A&M Large Animal ICU (3800)
- Veterinary Shadow at Fossil Rim (35)
- Head Zookeeper (was promoted and focused more 1on1 with veterinarians) (1800)
- Veterinary Shadow in Costa Rica (86)
- Wildlife Rehabilitation with Veterinarian (50)
- Veterinary Shadow with GP/Exotic (156)
- Veterinary Shadow with GP (180)
- Texas A&M Veterinary Enrichment Camp (24)

Animal Experience:
- South African 2-week Study Abroad (160)
- Zookeeper (6000)
- Student worker at Schubot Center for Avian Health (undergrad) (1700)
- Pet Sitting Business (3000)
- Animal Shelter (50)
- Texas A&M Veterinary Emergency Team (150)
- Intern Coordinator at Zoo (250)
- Hand raised Red Kangaroo, Capybara, Ring Tailed Lemur, Coati

Research Experience:
ABV Vaccine Challenge Study (60)
Quaker Parrot Nutrition Study (90)

Awards/scholarships:
- $3,900 from various sources in undergrad
- $8,000 from various sources in graduate school
- $30,000 TSHA Scholarship that fully funded my room/food during all 4 years of undergrad
- Distinguished HS Diploma
- IB Diploma

Extracurriculars:
- Costa Rica Semester Study Abroad
- DFW Hotline Volunteer (Wildlife Rehab) (Grad)
- Member, Historian and eventually Vice President of Rotaract Club at Texas A&M University (Undergrad)
- Member of Wildlife Society at Texas A&M (Undergrad)
- One Health Learning Community at Texas A&M (Undergrad)
- Cultural Leadership Understanding, and Exploration (CLUES) seminar semester at Texas A&M (Undergrad)
- Member of Zoological Club at Texas A&M (Undergrad)
- Founder of Westlake Academy Interact Club (HS)
- Student Teacher for Junior Naturalist Club (HS)
- Executive Council for Project Unify (HS)
- Aggieland Rotary Club (Grad/Post Grad)
- Purdue University, Conservation and Veterinary Medicine Online Certificate Program

Employment:
-
Nanny in HS (1200)
- All other employment is either animal or veterinary coded
 
Last edited:
Although I was a traditional applicant my first cycle, I had a lot of time (9 years!) and life experience happen before last cycle when I applied again. I know how discouraging it is to get rejections and have to spend time improving your application, and can empathize with seeing friends/others your age moving on. But I know that everything I did between then and now will help me to be a better DVM student, and I am starting this fall at 31!
My GPAs were VERY similar to yours, and I had 2 acceptances (KSU, MSU) and 1 waitlist position (MS St) out of 9 schools I applied to last cycle.

I don't see a reason to not apply to TAMU again, with it being your in-state. Have you considered trying Texas Tech as well?
As far as questions about acceptance of certain courses, don't be afraid to email the programs directly if you can't find the information on their website. I applied to Kansas last cycle and they were amazing at responding to all of my email questions about coursework! I would say for those online courses just be weary of ones that have labs tied to them, because many schools want your labs in person.
Since your last 45 GPA is your strongest (it was the same for me), shoot for schools that focus on that GPA the most, and also look at schools that do grade replacement so you can use the better grade in any courses you retake.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you run into problems with your pre requisites being expired?
Nope! All of the schools I applied to either did not have expirations, or they did and I had either retaken the course recently (my postbac classes were all between 2022-2024) or they accepted some older courses because I had taken other science coursework in the last few years. I was also able to use a few of my MS courses in select instances.
I had a game plan that I stuck to and didn't retake courses that were specific to only one school to maximize my time spent. So if those places required it to be retaken I just didn't apply. For example, CSU requires Cell Bio (which I took but it was expired) and they told me they had no exceptions. So I just didn't apply to CSU because that course wasn't needed at any of the other schools I was looking at.
 
Nope! All of the schools I applied to either did not have expirations, or they did and I had either retaken the course recently (my postbac classes were all between 2022-2024) or they accepted some older courses because I had taken other science coursework in the last few years. I was also able to use a few of my MS courses in select instances.
I had a game plan that I stuck to and didn't retake courses that were specific to only one school to maximize my time spent. So if those places required it to be retaken I just didn't apply. For example, CSU requires Cell Bio (which I took but it was expired) and they told me they had no exceptions. So I just didn't apply to CSU because that course wasn't needed at any of the other schools I was looking at.
Do you have any recommendations for a cell bio class that I could take fully online?
 
Hi, fellow non-traditional applicant here. I graduated in 2017, so some of my prerequisites were taken as far back as 2012. Nash covered a lot of good info already.

Have you considered schools that favor last 45 GPA? UMN comes to mind. Bonus, they will also allow you to petition your expired coursework (with limitations). Purdue has a similar petitioning process. Consider reaching out to their admissions teams.

Can I ask which science prerequisite did not meet Michigan State's requirements? They are another school that takes expired coursework with exceptions - if you take any of their approved upper division science courses within the past 8 years, they will accept the rest of your science prerequisites.

There are a handful of schools that have no coursework expiration date at all: UC Davis, Mizzou, University of Tennessee, Oregon State, Washington State, North Carolina State University, and the University of Wisconsin. However, these would be challenging schools to apply to with a lower GPA (partly because half of them allow for residency change and therefore tend to receive a higher than average number of applicants).

Do you have any recommendations for a cell bio class that I could take fully online?

This was a class that I was missing for both UTK and CSU. I took it online through UCSD Extended Studies and was accepted to UTK/offered an alternate position at CSU. I felt that it was a very manageable class, especially while working full time.

FWIW - I can totally sympathize with how you are feeling. I waited almost 10 years after completing undergrad before I felt ready to apply to vet school, and now I'll be starting this fall at an even older age than you (31). I have been in the veterinary field long enough to see an individual (someone I used to shadow at a clinic with) become a full-fledged DVM, who I now work with. Life is funny that way, but we all have our own timelines.

Edit to add:
MSU,Iowa, Oregon, CSU, Kansas?

Unsure which MSU you are referring to here, but I would suggest adding Mississippi State to your list. Similar to Michigan State's coursework expiration guideline, Miss State will accept science courses if at least 6 credits of an upper-level science course are taken within the last 5 years.
 
Last edited:
I don't have a whole lot to add except that I'm in a similar boat. I'm clawing back to get my gpa back and am also getting my M. Ag from tamu! I'm also 27 and feel so behind. Would love to connect and encourage each other this cycle!