Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everybody, and thank you for all your help. I am seeking advice on applying strategically. In 2021, I graduated with a 2.98 GPA, largely due to medical issues in my first few years. I went part-time for 5 years, then full-time for the last 2. I decided to pursue a master's in science, focusing on conservation biology research, which I finished at the beginning of 2025. I applied to 8 schools in Sept. 2023, when I thought I was close to finishing my research- waitlisted at Kansas only (LSU IS). I extended my research and took more classes/replacements to pull up my GPA when I did not get into vet school, and applied to only 2 schools this last cycle (UGA IS and UF OOS), Sept. 2025. My current IS is UGA. I hope to become a wildlife/zoo/rehab vet in some capacity.
Cumulative GPA: 3.14
science GPA: 3.2 (no grade replacement) 3.5 (grade replacement)
last 45: 3.8
Any degrees achieved Bachelor's and MS
GRE results: none
Veterinary Experience:
- Vet Assistant (currently ~2000 hours)
-shadowed veterinary behaviorist (10 hours)
-Shadowed exotic vet (50 hours)
-Vet assistant during undergrad (400 hours)
Animal Experience:
-hoof stock keeper internship- 600 hours
Research Experience:
-Master's thesis degree, including fieldwork/vet shadowing in Paraguay and completion of molecular ecology and spatial use research (thousands of hours)
-Student researcher at ECOTROP field school in Gabon (120 hours)
-Curatorial/research assistant with genetic research at musuem of natural science LSU (500 hours)
Awards/scholarships:
-Taylor Opportunity Program for students- merit-based LA state scholarship for undergrad
-high school honors diploma
Extracurriculars:
-recycling ambassador (20 hours)
-President of the Biological Graduate Student Association at the University of New Orleans (250 hours)
Employment:
- Graduate teaching assistant (3 semesters, bio 1 lab)
- Graduate assistant mentor for summer program for incoming freshmen (45 hours)
-pet sitter for about 12 years
Basically, looking for any and all advice and tips on applying strategically. I already received some great advice and have been researching schools. I wanted to post an updated summary here in case there is any more feedback/wisdom from you lovely people. Many thanks to all <3
Cumulative GPA: 3.14
science GPA: 3.2 (no grade replacement) 3.5 (grade replacement)
last 45: 3.8
Any degrees achieved Bachelor's and MS
GRE results: none
Veterinary Experience:
- Vet Assistant (currently ~2000 hours)
-blood draws, placing IV catheters, wound cleaning, appointments, x-rays, injections, helping with minor procedures etc.
-hopefully to be trained on anesthesia soon
-shadowed vet/assisted in procedures/immobilizations @ zoological/conservation facility- hoofstock, cranes, sea turtles (150 hours)-shadowed veterinary behaviorist (10 hours)
-Shadowed exotic vet (50 hours)
-Vet assistant during undergrad (400 hours)
Animal Experience:
-hoof stock keeper internship- 600 hours
Research Experience:
-Master's thesis degree, including fieldwork/vet shadowing in Paraguay and completion of molecular ecology and spatial use research (thousands of hours)
-Student researcher at ECOTROP field school in Gabon (120 hours)
-Curatorial/research assistant with genetic research at musuem of natural science LSU (500 hours)
Awards/scholarships:
-Taylor Opportunity Program for students- merit-based LA state scholarship for undergrad
-high school honors diploma
Extracurriculars:
-recycling ambassador (20 hours)
-President of the Biological Graduate Student Association at the University of New Orleans (250 hours)
-fundraising/organizing events/student rep at faculty meetings
Employment:
- Graduate teaching assistant (3 semesters, bio 1 lab)
- Graduate assistant mentor for summer program for incoming freshmen (45 hours)
-pet sitter for about 12 years
Basically, looking for any and all advice and tips on applying strategically. I already received some great advice and have been researching schools. I wanted to post an updated summary here in case there is any more feedback/wisdom from you lovely people. Many thanks to all <3