Jul 20, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I want to know what my chances are at the schools I’ve listed below for getting an interview invitation or acceptance. I’ve already had 4 MD/PhD interview invitations (none are MSTP though) and 1 MD/PhD acceptance but I wanted to see what my chances were at the other schools on my list, especially the MSTP programs. Thank you.

Applicant information:
  • GPA: cGPA: 3.95 sGPA: 3.93
  • MCAT: (08/01/20): 513 (127/126/130/130) --> (09/12/20): 518 (130/128/130/130)
  • State of residence: Pennsylvania
  • Completion date: My application was completed on 08/19 with secondaries submitted but my second MCAT score was not received until 9/29
  • Demographics: ORM, traditional applicant, low-income, first-generation
  • Uni: Small university
  • Clinical experience:
    • Scribing (1000 hours, 2 years)
    • Hospice volunteering (200 hours, 2 years)
    • No shadowing
  • Nonclinical volunteering:
    • Tutoring in low-income elementary schools (200 hours, 2 years),
    • Crisis Text line (650 hours, 4 years)
    • Mentoring low-income high school seniors (1 year, 50 hours)
  • Research experience:
    • Competitive research internship (director told us only 20 out of approx. 700 applicants were accepted) — (500 hours during the summer), Part-time for 1 year (300 hours)
      • Presented at a local conference
      • Working on a publication this year
    • Undergrad research (4 years = 700 hours)
      • 1 publication
      • 1 national conference
      • 3 local conferences
      • Research grant
  • Teaching experience:
    • Teaching assistant in chemistry department (200 hours, 3 years)
    • Teaching assistant in biology department (100 hours, 1 year)
    • Teaching/research assistant in English department (300 hours, 4 years + summers)
  • Leadership:
    • Secretary for ecology club (3 years)
    • Secretary —> Treasurer —> Chief Editor for school newspaper (3 years)
    • Secretary for honors fraternity (1 year)
  • Honors and awards: Partial academic scholarship at university
Note: All of these are estimated completed hours only.

School List:
  • Perelman (MSTP)
  • Columbia (MSTP)
  • Harvard (MSTP)
  • Johns Hopkins (MSTP)
  • Icahn (MSTP)
  • Albert Einstein (MSTP)
  • Vanderbilt (MSTP)
  • Tufts (MSTP)
  • NYU (MSTP)
  • Georgetown (MD/PhD)
  • Lewis Katz (MD/PhD)
  • Rutgers (MD/PhD)

May 27, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I’m also a current student applicant, but I’ll chime in my thoughts. You have a solid app and definitely have a chance at every school on your list, however it looks like it’s going to come down to 1. How much your research aligns with what they are looking for/fits their program, and 2. How well your secondaries are written.

Given that you have 3 MD/PhD IIs and an A I’m guessing your writing is good. I think it’s going to come down to your research. I think it’s going to come down to research fit and what they’re looking for. For example my sister is at an MSTP and is on the committee, and they said they couldn’t accept any genetics students because the previous year of MSTP students, 11/12 of them were doing genetics research.

There’s still around 9 weeks left for receiving invites, so you got plenty of time to hear from any of these schools.

Jul 20, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I’m also a current student applicant, but I’ll chime in my thoughts. You have a solid app and definitely have a chance at every school on your list, however it looks like it’s going to come down to 1. How much your research aligns with what they are looking for/fits their program, and 2. How well your secondaries are written.

Given that you have 3 MD/PhD IIs and an A I’m guessing your writing is good. I think it’s going to come down to your research. I think it’s going to come down to research fit and what they’re looking for. For example my sister is at an MSTP and is on the committee, and they said they couldn’t accept any genetics students because the previous year of MSTP students, 11/12 of them were doing genetics research.

There’s still around 9 weeks left for receiving invites, so you got plenty of time to hear from any of these schools.

Thanks for the insight! I’m applying for neuroscience and looking for labs focused in Alzheimer’s or memory & learning. I catered my school list around that and my top choice is Einstein so hopefully they see me as a fit too...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads