WAMC at UCLA, UCSF as URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbio2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So money is running tight, and was wondering if it would be worth it to add UCSF, UCLA(re-applicant here, no secondary in 2015), and UChicago as OOS. I like the Cali schools more(especially UCLA), but no connections to Cali and I live in the Midwest.

Major: Bio, with genetics concentration. Started out at one of the “New Ivies” and transferred to State School since it was cheaper.
GPA: c3.63, s3.57
MCAT: 28, 26 in 2014 (took them while in school, doing research, and working) and 518 in 2017 (took time off to focus on studying).
Ethnicity: Black male
EC:

-Paid clinical: One year/2600+ hours working in a primary care clinic for the underserved/low-income. Also 300+ working in an ER as patient transfer and valet.
-Volunteer clinical: 133 hours spread over a couple years in a local ER, in patient transfer, and working with dementia patients.
-Shadowing: 10 hours with internist and other 10 with primary care…yes it’s pathetic but figured I was starting my clinical job soon and thought that would make up for it haha.
-Non-clinical: 50-60 hours volunteering spread over a few years with Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, and a local homeless shelter. ~30 hours teaching an English and culture class for internationals, ~30 working with a charity to raise money to end hunger, ~10 making and handing out care packages for those studying late at finals or midterms.
-Other volunteering: I’m not sure how to classify this but 90+ volunteering with a local religious group to do their sound at weekly gatherings and various functions. They also had summer activities for the community kids where I helped them with games, and also helped with yard work/renovations at their meeting area. Not sure if this is community service.
-Research: Two years of undergrad research at a local medical school; no pubs but had a few PowerPoint presentations. Also currently applying to research technician jobs at various medical schools.
-Radio club (one year of leadership): Year and a half providing commentary on the University’s sports games, while hosting my own radio show. Also was a DJ for a bit.
-Podcast (~100-120 hours): Friends and I created a podcast catering to a niche of very nerdy sports lovers.
-Religious organization (three years of leadership): Four years involved with a college religious organization holding various functions (many times with other religious organizations or the SSA, and community service events.
-Genetics club (one year of leadership): Involved for two years, president for one year.
-Other jobs: Spent years in various customer service jobs (test proctor, hotel room attendant, delivery guy, etc.).

Heard my letters (getting them updated) and essays were great.

Members don't see this ad.