sunflower02
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!
Posting as I would like to get some more opinions and feedback, as I may be doing another cycle.
I applied for my first cycle this year to 14 schools. I was rejected from most, but did have two interviews at Long Island & LMU. I was waitlisted at LIU and am still awaiting a decision from LMU and Iowa.
I am somewhat non-traditional as I am a RVT. I did not even consider applying to veterinary school until I started working at my current clinic.
Here are some of my stats:
A.A.S. In Veterinary Technology with Honors
A.S. with Honors
B.S. in Biology (expected May ‘26)
cGPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 45: 3.4 - this may have changed and I do need to recalculate it
Dean’s List 7 times
Member of TriBeta Biological Honor Society
Certifications/License
- RVT license in 2 states
- Fear Free Certification
- Recover CPR Basic & Advanced
Experience:
Veterinary
- 4,500 + hrs as small animal GP RVT
- 300 hrs as small animal & exotics RVT
- 150 hrs large animal & equine
- 1,500 hrs small animal vet tech (working while in tech school)
Animal
- 3,000 hrs pet boarding/daycare facility
- 250 hrs volunteer dog foster
- 250 + hrs therapy dog volunteer and trainer
- 200 animal shelter and rescue volunteer
Non-Animal Volunteer
- 50 hrs Human Hospital Volunteer
- 300 hrs Rural Food Pantry Volunteer
Non-Vet Work Experience
- 3,000 hrs Lifeguard and Swim Instructor
- 500 hrs Retail
LOR:
- DVM at my small animal GP - founder & head doctor
- Small animal & ER DVM - previously worked with and now works ER
- Academic Advisor & Biology Professor
Any advice is welcome! I will say I tried to apply smartly but I did throw in some schools that I met the requirements for since I had some extra funds. I know some of my school choices were not good as I am OOS and my GPA is not super high. My first mistake was not triple checking that I met all of the pre req requirements for a few schools. So, that lead me to being rejected from Arizona, Mississippi State, & Rowan.
Schools I applied to for 25-26 Cycle:
- tOSU (instate)
- LMU
- LIU
- Mississippi State
- Kansas State
- Iowa State
- Rowan
- U of Florida
- Minnesota
- Colorado State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Arizona
- Missouri
Let me know what you think!
My plan is to possibly retake some classes, and get some more experience in large animal or exotics. Otherwise, I’m not quite sure
Thanks!
Posting as I would like to get some more opinions and feedback, as I may be doing another cycle.
I applied for my first cycle this year to 14 schools. I was rejected from most, but did have two interviews at Long Island & LMU. I was waitlisted at LIU and am still awaiting a decision from LMU and Iowa.
I am somewhat non-traditional as I am a RVT. I did not even consider applying to veterinary school until I started working at my current clinic.
Here are some of my stats:
A.A.S. In Veterinary Technology with Honors
A.S. with Honors
B.S. in Biology (expected May ‘26)
cGPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 45: 3.4 - this may have changed and I do need to recalculate it
Dean’s List 7 times
Member of TriBeta Biological Honor Society
Certifications/License
- RVT license in 2 states
- Fear Free Certification
- Recover CPR Basic & Advanced
Experience:
Veterinary
- 4,500 + hrs as small animal GP RVT
- 300 hrs as small animal & exotics RVT
- 150 hrs large animal & equine
- 1,500 hrs small animal vet tech (working while in tech school)
Animal
- 3,000 hrs pet boarding/daycare facility
- 250 hrs volunteer dog foster
- 250 + hrs therapy dog volunteer and trainer
- 200 animal shelter and rescue volunteer
Non-Animal Volunteer
- 50 hrs Human Hospital Volunteer
- 300 hrs Rural Food Pantry Volunteer
Non-Vet Work Experience
- 3,000 hrs Lifeguard and Swim Instructor
- 500 hrs Retail
LOR:
- DVM at my small animal GP - founder & head doctor
- Small animal & ER DVM - previously worked with and now works ER
- Academic Advisor & Biology Professor
Any advice is welcome! I will say I tried to apply smartly but I did throw in some schools that I met the requirements for since I had some extra funds. I know some of my school choices were not good as I am OOS and my GPA is not super high. My first mistake was not triple checking that I met all of the pre req requirements for a few schools. So, that lead me to being rejected from Arizona, Mississippi State, & Rowan.
Schools I applied to for 25-26 Cycle:
- tOSU (instate)
- LMU
- LIU
- Mississippi State
- Kansas State
- Iowa State
- Rowan
- U of Florida
- Minnesota
- Colorado State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Arizona
- Missouri
Let me know what you think!
My plan is to possibly retake some classes, and get some more experience in large animal or exotics. Otherwise, I’m not quite sure
Thanks!