WAMC- first time applicant high GPA low experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prevet0924

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WAMC as a first time applicant- 20F, MA resident, small animal interest, considering applying to Washington State, UF, Oklahoma State, Ross, UC Dublin, and Tufts.
I'm considering these based off of cost and where I feel my stats best align but am looking for insight on where else I should consider, don't know if Tufts even really favors MA residents due to them being private.
Overall just worried about my lack of large animal vet hours and wondering which schools will favor my GPA over experience.

I will be completing my bachelors in 3 years.
Overall GPA- 3.89
Science GPA- 3.8
Last 45- 3.9

Vet experience
800 hours at the same small animal GP (probably around 1000 by time of application)
Hoping to get around 50-100 large animal GP by time of application, will this suffice? Hard to come by in MA
20 hours shelter spay/neuter clinic
6 hours equine vet

Research
Around 50 hours working with laying hens

Animal hours
1000 hours pet sitting
300 hours fostering dogs
50 hours watching service dogs in training
80 various large animal hours through classes at the farm at my school
20 hours walking dogs at the shelter

Volunteer
around 200 from high school, can I count this?
20 at shelter making enrichment, doing laundry etc.

Extracurricular
40 hours on exec for club that raises service dogs
20 hours pre vet club
20 hours yoga club
200 hours cheer in high school (again, can I count this?)

Employment
2000 hours as a server at a restaurant, worked there for over 4 years throughout high school and college
 
Last edited:
Since your in state option as a MA resident is pretty pricey, I recommend adding the schools that allow you to gain in-state tuition after 1st year: NCSU, Davis, Mizzou, tOSU (technically), and another I think I'm forgetting?

Eta: your GPA alone will carry you pretty far but more equine and production hours can only help.
 
Since your in state option as a MA resident is pretty pricey, I recommend adding the schools that allow you to gain in-state tuition after 1st year: NCSU, Davis, Mizzou, tOSU (technically), and another I think I'm forgetting?
Thank you for your help! I definitely am interested in those options, especially NCSU and Davis, I just didn't know if my stats were even competitive for them with my lack of experience hours and being that they are so highly applied to. Do you have any input on this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your help! I definitely am interested in those options, especially NCSU and Davis, I just didn't know if my stats were even competitive for them with my lack of experience hours and being that they are so highly applied to. Do you have any input on this?
Your gpa has a good shot of getting you past the first academic reviews, so if you're essays and LoRs are solid your chances are alright. As you're aware though you're large animal hours are low, and you have all summer to get more if you're worried about it.
 
I applied to U.C Davis and got in as OOS. If we’re going off their initial scoring, you’ve already done 1/3 of the work with your high GPA. Make sure your rec letters and are top-notch. They don’t tell you what they look for when it comes to your distance traveled score, so it really is up to luck.
 
Thank you for your help! I definitely am interested in those options, especially NCSU and Davis, I just didn't know if my stats were even competitive for them with my lack of experience hours and being that they are so highly applied to. Do you have any input on this?
These GPAs are competitive. Like @CeeGee14 said, ensure that your essays and LORs are strong and stand out. I think the best way to strengthen your application in the meantime is going to be increasing your veterinary hours. FWIW I was accepted to UC Davis this cycle (IS applicant) with ~300 LA vet hours. If you can aim for 100-ish LA hours I think that is a good goal to set for yourself.