WAMC: Brown grad, 3.6c, 2.8s, 510 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaddyL

Reaction score
First time poster here :)

Graduated from Brown in 2016 with 3.6cGPA, 2.8sGPA, 510 MCAT. Very strong LORs. Took a 4000-level bio class since graduation, and did well.

My ECs are:
2000hrs working at a large medical practice in a PA-like role.
200 hours volunteering at a non-profit that raised money for disadvantaged populations
200 hours of shadowing MDs and DOs

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First time poster here :)

Graduated from Brown in 2016 with 3.6cGPA, 2.8sGPA, 510 MCAT. Very strong LORs. Took a 4000-level bio class since graduation, and did well.

My ECs are:
2000hrs working at a large medical practice in a PA-like role.
200 hours volunteering at a non-profit that raised money for disadvantaged populations
200 hours of shadowing MDs and DOs
Chances lethal with that sGPA, unless you have a massive upward GPA trend.

I think your chances at MD are zero, and your chances of DO are rather close to zero.

What's with the low science GPA? Lots of Cs and Ds in science courses or what?

Reactions: 1 user
@jonnythan

I got mostly B's in science classes. However, I failed orgo I and II (took them both over one summer, big mistake). Although I retook and passed, the failing grades brought down my sGPA by 0.5.

Thoughts on how to proceed from here?

@jonnythan

I got mostly B's in science classes. However, I failed orgo I and II. Although I retook and passed, the failing grades brought down my sGPA by 0.5.

Thoughts on how to proceed from here?
Just guessing but it seems like you didn't take many science classes. This probably works to your advantage in that if you can find a few easy classes to take you should be able to raise your science gpa fairly quickly. I would recommend getting it above a 3.4 as that would put you above the tenth percent tiles for the SUNYs.

Just guessing but it seems like you didn't take many science classes. This probably works to your advantage in that if you can find a few easy classes to take you should be able to raise your science gpa fairly quickly. I would recommend getting it above a 3.4 as that would put you above the tenth percent tiles for the SUNYs.

I ran the calculations and it it comes out to:
9 cr of A's will bring me to 3.0.
24 cr of A's for 3.2.

Will ~12 credits suffice, assuming I get only A's and A-'s, bring my sGPA to 3.0, and show that upward trend? Or should I be taking more? In the case that I do this, I'll be applying the next cycle instead of this one.

24 cr of A's for 3.2.

Will ~12 credits suffice, assuming I get mostly A's and A-'s, bring my sGPA to 3.0, and show that upward trend? Or should I be taking more? In the case that I do this, I'll be applying the next cycle instead of this one.
I would seek advice from one of the adcom member that use this site such as Goro who commented above. IMO that would give you a chance at DO and maybe your state MD but I am far from an expert on these things

24 cr of A's for 3.2.

Will ~12 credits suffice, assuming I get only A's and A-'s, bring my sGPA to 3.0, and show that upward trend? Or should I be taking more? In the case that I do this, I'll be applying the next cycle instead of this one.

FWIW I have an ORM friend who got into US MD this cycle with a lower cGPA than yours and a ~3.2 sGPA. MCAT was 513. Undergrad was same tier as Brown.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro If you could give me your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it! I am more than willing to put in the work to have a shot at MD/DO (and will try hard to take the number of credits you recommend), but I am unfortunately limited by my income, savings, and debt. Taking more than 15 credits this coming year will be a significant financial struggle.

Last edited:
@Goro If you could give me your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it! I am more than willing to put in the work to have a shot at MD/DO (and will try hard to take the number of credits you recommend), but I am unfortunately limited by my income, savings, and debt. Taking more than 15 credits this coming year will be a significant financial struggle.
Marathon now, not sprint. Work and save up some money for GPA repair.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

You need to increase your sGPA to 3.0 so you will not be screened out at most MD schools. A DIY post bacc at a local college if fine. You need enough science credits in the next year to increase your sGPA to 3.0 and preferably 3.2 . Once you have a 3.0 sGPA you will be competitive for the majority of DO schools. A 3.2 sGPA and you could receive some MD interviews.