WAMC c/o 2028 - low GPA/2nd time app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlumPoppy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm back again! However, this cycle was the 1st time I've ever hit the submit button! I really would like to know what schools I should shoot for next year!

25 y/o F, non-traditional, LA resident

My primary interests are exotic companion animals and wildlife with special focus on infectious diseases. I spoke about how I love that I can practice clinically but then do research down the line as I really enjoy both.

Edit 2/16:
Applied: LSU, UMN, UW-Madison, Colorado (rejected from all 4)
Considering next year?: K-State, Iowa, VMCVM

Cumulative GPA: 3.27
Science GPA: 3.11
Last 45: 3.44
My cGPA isn't going to move since I got a D+ in calculus freshman year. (5 credit class :cryi:) But my science and last 45 should improve.

Degrees:
B.S., Wildlife Ecology; Minor in Sociology
M.S., Microbiology and Cell Science (in progress)

Veterinary Experience: (4200+ hrs)
- Lab Research Associate 3: 480+ hrs
- Lab RA 1/Necropsy Tech: 2400 hrs
- Small animal Vet Tech: 1300 hrs
- Overnight ER tech: 100 hrs
- Wildlife Sanctuary w/ Vet: 5 hrs

Animal Hours: (1200+ hrs)
- Fostering neonate kittens and elderly cats: 70+ hrs
- Kennel Tech: 200 hrs
- Cat Rescue: 50 hrs
- Wildlife Sanctuary: 90 hrs
- Raptor Rehab: 8 hrs
- Exotic Pet Rescues: 40 hrs
- Police Horse Clean-up: 5 hrs
- Pet-Setting: 200 hrs
- Pilling Sick Personal Pets: 65 hrs (Separated because I've had ill pocket pets that needed daily medication for months, palliative care)
- Personal Pets: 500+ hours

Non-Animal Volunteer Experience: (~200 hrs)
- Planting trees around university campus for Earth Day: 3 hrs
- Hospital shadowing program: 120hrs
- Renovating the local library's YA section Committee member: 40hrs
- Various local marathons for a cause: 18hrs
- Shadowing an OBGYN: 6hrs
- Local "get healthy" fair set-up and face-painting: 5hrs

Honors/Awards:
- Dean's List (2 semesters)
- HS AP Scholar Award (2 yrs)
- HS First Chair Flute/Piccolo (1 yr)
- HS 3rd Place District English III (1 yr)
- HS Highest Average Award in Honors Biology, Art I, and Talented Art IV

Certifications: Fear Free, Safe Space, forklift operator (for vet school disposals!)

Extracurriculars:
- LGBTQ+ Faculty Caucus: 1 yr
- Local Cactus & Succulents club: 3 yrs
- Pre-Vet Club member: 2 yrs
- Wildlife Club member: 3 yrs
- Wildlife Club Treasurer: 1 yr
- Exotic Animal Club member: 2 yrs
- LGBTQ+ undergrad club: 4 yrs
- PreMed Honor Society: 1 semester
- HS Key Club Treasurer: 1 yr
- HS Beta Club member: 2 yrs
- HS Student Council Treasurer: 1 yr
- HS Anime Club :bag:: 2 yrs
- Hobbies?: Painting, hiking, video games, playing flute, board games, collecting pins (Didn't add any to my app. Should I for next year?)

Employment: (~2600 hrs)
- Environmental/GIS Analyst: 1 yr
- Ag Chemistry Lab Assistant: 3 years
- Student worker: 1 yr
- Barista: 1 yr
- Cashier: 2 yrs

eLORs: SA vet, professor/academic advisor of my B.S., DVM/PhD director of my dept, previous supervisor in my ag chemistry job (4 total)

I know my GPA is really hurting me here. The GPA averages this cycle were WILD, so I don't think I made it very far in the ranks. I'm going to do folder reviews, but want to start looking for growth opportunities early. I'm figuring out how to get some LA experience even though I know it's not for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
You might consider some schools that either consider last 45 GPA more heavily than cumulative, or don't look at cumulative at all. So think about adding Iowa and Kansas. Double check that info of course, it's from a couple years ago.

Of course, also consider cost of attendance with these - I don't have numbers in my head for those schools.

I can't not tell you to consider UTK given your interest in exotics and infectious disease :) though I honestly don't know our recent OOS applicant stats.

Does your small animal experience include exotics, or is it only cat/dog? If you don't have companion exotics veterinary experience that may be more useful for you to add given your stated interests than LA, if you had to choose.

Definitely do file reviews!

Reactions: 1 user
You might consider some schools that either consider last 45 GPA more heavily than cumulative, or don't look at cumulative at all. So think about adding Iowa and Kansas. Double check that info of course, it's from a couple years ago.
Michigan is another good option along these lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
I considered them this cycle, but I don't remember why I didn't apply? I think with Iowa their minimum GPA changes based on applicants, so that's probably why I got scared away lol. Kansas I considered early cycle, but they didn't make my shortlist. I'll need to revisit :unsure:
I can't not tell you to consider UTK given your interest in exotics and infectious disease :) though I honestly don't know our recent OOS applicant stats.
I'll have to look into them!
Does your small animal experience include exotics, or is it only cat/dog? If you don't have companion exotics veterinary experience that may be more useful for you to add given your stated interests than LA, if you had to choose.
In a vet setting, my exotics experience is only rabbits and necropsies I've assisted with. But animal experience, I've volunteered for 3 different pocket pet rescues and spent 2 weeks at a wildlife sanctuary. I'm also supposed to be helping a local wildlife rehabber when baby season kicks off. I think she mostly does raccoons, possums, and sometimes squirrels?
Michigan is another good option along these lines.
I forgot about them! I didn't apply to them this cycle since they require all your science courses to be done before application is submitted. And I still need to take Physics II :sick:

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
IIRC, Michigan uses your last 30 credits and has a hard cutoff GPA for moving to the second phase of their evaluation - I think it at least used to be a 3.0, I'm not sure if that's changed. But that's a good option for you to look into once you've taken physics II.

UMN does look at last 45 fairly heavily so if you're still taking classes, that might be one you'd want to reapply to (the file reviews that they do can be really helpful for figuring out if it's a good program to target).

Did you or can you classify any of the work in your chem lab job or your GIS job as research experience?
I think I ended up putting my chem lab job under research, but my GIS job under employment. Most of it was writing planning documents and sorting through data and shapefiles for the project managers.

Oh okay yeah well that's really my only input and maybe retake calculus if you think you can improve
I definitely think I can improve from a D+, but I'm worried about bringing my last 45 gpa down if I get anything below a B...