WAMC c/o 2028 (older non-trad looking for advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rem99

Reaction score
If you're reading this, I'm so sorry for the novel but I wanted to give a full, accurate picture. If anyone has any insight or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

So, I'm a late 20s non-traditional student who has been working in human med (pharmacy) for 11 years. Vet med has always been a major passion of mine but I never even considered pursuing it as my career because a 4.0 GPA seemed impossible. 11 years ago I took a semester at a community college #1, hated it and acted like a completely stupid 18yo by failing all 5 classes I was enrolled in. Abandoned ship and began working in pharmacy, which has been incredible and the best thing for me professionally.

9 years ago I enrolled in a different community college #2, took 2 semesters and did ever so slightly better (mostly Cs, a B, but failed Gen Chem 1 and Psychology) but was dismissed because I failed to bring my GPA high enough. Took a long break to focus on work.

3 years ago I decided to give myself one last shot, enrolled in community college #3 where I thrived, earning an associate cum laude with a 3.54 GPA. Transferred to a university to work on my pre-vet bachelors and have thrived here as well (current GPA 3.779).

I applied only to my IS school (tOSU) for c/o 2027 and foolishly thought I had a chance with these stats:
Cumulative GPA 3.12
Science GPA 3.06
Last 45 GPA 3.6 or 3.7?
vet hours: 550 (high quality hands-on experiences, not just shadowing)
animal experience: 14,000 (4H, FFA, very involved in showing horses, worked on farms..)
extracurricular: 20,000 (sports, volunteer, foster care certified, 2x pharmacy certified..)
work experience: 25,000 (pharmacy but also tons of diverse experiences: customer service, waitressing, even worked for a home repair man for a while..)
awards: leadership scholarship, multiple dean's list, titles/awards from showing horses, etc.
Letters: 2 from equine vets at the practice I interned for. 1 was the owner and 1 was an associate. Both offered to write letters for me and have been some of my biggest cheerleaders on this journey
1 from a pharmacy direct manager
1 from pharmacy regional leader

Interview: I thought it went really well, I prepped for 4 weeks ahead of time with an interview coach and had truly genuine but well formed responses
Result: rejected without even a spot on the waitlist

I'm gutted and feeling like an absolute fool thinking I stood a chance against these incredible traditional students with flawless stats. I had hoped my experiences would help me stand out but obviously it didn't. I don't know what to do.

If I retake 1-2 courses from community college #2 over the summer I think I can raise my cumulative GPA from 3.12 to a 3.27 but I've already re-taken these classes at community college #3 and gotten an A and B in them so this would only benefit to raising the GPA from community college #2 and nothing else. For some reason I don't think VMCAS included the 5 Fs from community college #1 into consideration, I'm not sure if I'll get so lucky again if I re-apply. Would a Master's degree be a better option? I don't know how I can trend any higher, in the last 3 years I've had 24 As, 4 Bs, and 3 Cs, nothing else. It just feels impossible to move that cumulative GPA no matter how hard I work or how well I do now.
If I do re-apply, I would apply to more schools (add Michigan, Purdue, UPenn?) and will continue to get more vet experience but do I even stand a chance at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're reading this, I'm so sorry for the novel but I wanted to give a full, accurate picture. If anyone has any insight or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

So, I'm a late 20s non-traditional student who has been working in human med (pharmacy) for 11 years. Vet med has always been a major passion of mine but I never even considered pursuing it as my career because a 4.0 GPA seemed impossible. 11 years ago I took a semester at a community college #1, hated it and acted like a completely stupid 18yo by failing all 5 classes I was enrolled in. Abandoned ship and began working in pharmacy, which has been incredible and the best thing for me professionally.

9 years ago I enrolled in a different community college #2, took 2 semesters and did ever so slightly better (mostly Cs, a B, but failed Gen Chem 1 and Psychology) but was dismissed because I failed to bring my GPA high enough. Took a long break to focus on work.

3 years ago I decided to give myself one last shot, enrolled in community college #3 where I thrived, earning an associate cum laude with a 3.54 GPA. Transferred to a university to work on my pre-vet bachelors and have thrived here as well (current GPA 3.779).

I applied only to my IS school (tOSU) for c/o 2027 and foolishly thought I had a chance with these stats:
Cumulative GPA 3.12
Science GPA 3.06
Last 45 GPA 3.6 or 3.7?
vet hours: 550 (high quality hands-on experiences, not just shadowing)
animal experience: 14,000 (4H, FFA, very involved in showing horses, worked on farms..)
extracurricular: 20,000 (sports, volunteer, foster care certified, 2x pharmacy certified..)
work experience: 25,000 (pharmacy but also tons of diverse experiences: customer service, waitressing, even worked for a home repair man for a while..)
awards: leadership scholarship, multiple dean's list, titles/awards from showing horses, etc.
Letters: 2 from equine vets at the practice I interned for. 1 was the owner and 1 was an associate. Both offered to write letters for me and have been some of my biggest cheerleaders on this journey
1 from a pharmacy direct manager
1 from pharmacy regional leader

Interview: I thought it went really well, I prepped for 4 weeks ahead of time with an interview coach and had truly genuine but well formed responses
Result: rejected without even a spot on the waitlist

I'm gutted and feeling like an absolute fool thinking I stood a chance against these incredible traditional students with flawless stats. I had hoped my experiences would help me stand out but obviously it didn't. I don't know what to do.

If I retake 1-2 courses from community college #2 over the summer I think I can raise my cumulative GPA from 3.12 to a 3.27 but I've already re-taken these classes at community college #3 and gotten an A and B in them so this would only benefit to raising the GPA from community college #2 and nothing else. For some reason I don't think VMCAS included the 5 Fs from community college #1 into consideration, I'm not sure if I'll get so lucky again if I re-apply. Would a Master's degree be a better option? I don't know how I can trend any higher, in the last 3 years I've had 24 As, 4 Bs, and 3 Cs, nothing else. It just feels impossible to move that cumulative GPA no matter how hard I work or how well I do now.
If I do re-apply, I would apply to more schools (add Michigan, Purdue, UPenn?) and will continue to get more vet experience but do I even stand a chance at all?
I think I would personally get a Masters degree and try to find a one year program. I have done both retaking ( quite a few classes, classes I got a C in) and will be finishing a MPH soon. However, I really needed to do both. I would find a program that you know you can do well in and make sure the courses count towards your science VMCAS GPA. Using the VMCAS GPA calculator is your best bet. You got an interview, so they definitely saw something in you! I would reach out to them for an application review. Also, look at schools that do grade replacements like Iowa and Minnesota. Missouri is one school that looks heavily at undergraduate course work- so they may be a good option too with your recent courses. Missouri online also offers a Masters in Biomedical Sciences in 9 months I believe. This is where I am getting my MPH at, readily cheap and all online. You have a lot of work experience & a passion for vet med! Do not get discouraged! You will get there.

Reactions: 1 user
To me, I think your science gpa is definitely bringing you down in terms of your instate since your last 45 gpa is great! I would also recommend getting more vet experience hours since 500 hours doesn’t make you super competitive. A masters wouldn’t hurt to do, but definitely a one year program in something that you’d be able to utilize if you never got into vet school. Don’t get a masters just to get a masters.

Reactions: 1 user