WAMC: CA/3.8/511 MCAT. School list and advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelsie yu

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

School list:
  1. West Virginia University School of Medicine
  2. Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
  3. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
  4. University of Arizona College of Medicine
  5. University of Minnesota Medical School
  6. University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville
  7. University of South Carolina School of Medicine
  8. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  9. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  10. Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
  11. Medical College of Wisconsin
  12. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  13. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  14. Albany Medical College
  15. Drexel University College of Medicine
  16. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  17. Tulane University School of Medicine
  18. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  19. Eastern Virginia Medical School
  20. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  21. TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine
  22. University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
  23. University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
  24. University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
  25. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  26. Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take these off. They aren’t OOS friendly for the most part

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

University of Arizona College of Medicine

University of Minnesota Medical School

University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville

University of South Carolina School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not apply this cycle. With only 60 hours of clinical experience, it is unlikely schools will extend interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Take these off. They aren’t OOS friendly for the most part

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

University of Arizona College of Medicine

University of Minnesota Medical School

University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville

University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Thanks for the feedback! What would you consider to be a good OOS friendly acceptance rate? Wisconsin accepted 40 OOS out of the 176 class total last year (22%), and Minnesota has 30-40% OOS in both campuses. I was told more than 20% OOS is considered ok for OOS applicants but I can be wrong.

Do not apply this cycle. With only 60 hours of clinical experience, it is unlikely schools will extend interviews.
does shadowing not count? The office I shadowed at is also a clinical rotation site for med students. Most of the patients speak Chinese so I translated for the medical students for almost every patient during those 100 hours. I got to "see" 3 of the patient under the supervision of a medical student (who was very kind to give me the blueprint of what to ask in a regular yearly checkup).

does shadowing not count? The office I shadowed at is also a clinical rotation site for med students. Most of the patients speak Chinese so I translated for the medical students for almost every patient during those 100 hours. I got to "see" 3 of the patient under the supervision of a medical student (who was very kind to give me the blueprint of what to ask in a regular yearly checkup).
No shadowing is a separate category. You may be able to discuss how you were able to interpret for patients in your writing, but you were not a volunteer or employee. Even with it, you were doing clinically related experiences for less than 6 months.

I don’t have the latest MSAR, but the Minnesota campuses were made up of 80% and 86% IS students. The remaining number probably had a tie to the state or were a resident of a neighboring state.

No shadowing is a separate category. You may be able to discuss how you were able to interpret for patients in your writing, but you were not a volunteer or employee. Even with it, you were doing clinically related experiences for less than 6 months.

I don’t have the latest MSAR, but the Minnesota campuses were made up of 80% and 86% IS students. The remaining number probably had a tie to the state or were a resident of a neighboring state.
thanks!

You might add Quinnipiac. Agree the clinical volunteering is on the low side. Can you add some more over the next 6 weeks ?

Take Rush off. And Loyola. You have no nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. You have to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. Between low clinical experiences and no nonclinical volunteering @chilly_md is right. Don’t apply this cycle. And when you do , redevelop your list and put more private schools and fewer OOS public schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Take Rush off. And Loyola. You have no nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. You have to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. Between low clinical experiences and no nonclinical volunteering @chilly_md is right. Don’t apply this cycle. And when you do , redevelop your list and put more private schools and fewer OOS public schools.
I've volunteered at the soup kitchen for homeless population since last year (got a LoR). I also forgot to add that i'm a volunteer lecturer at a prison education program for 1.5 years (taught 4 semesters). Are they not volunteering to the underserved population?

I've volunteered at the soup kitchen for homeless population since last year (got a LoR). I also forgot to add that i'm a volunteer lecturer at a prison education program for 1.5 years (taught 4 semesters). Are they not volunteering to the underserved population?
Those are good!

Reactions: 1 user
I did notice that. You're okay, but you probably are still under the desired experience for Rush and Loyola.