WAMC CA (HPSP) Applicant with An Interest in Public Health and Humanitarian Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elder_Citrus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: early June (June 13, verified June 16)
Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 3.95
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.91
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 23 PAT 22 Science 23 Bio 23 GC 28 OC 20 QC 23 RC 21
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: UCLA (junior). *Dual enrollment at UC Berkeley for a year. Incoming exchange at Lund University, Sweden for Fall 2022.
Major: Psychobiology and Nordic Studies (Honors College)
Minor: Professional Writing
Minority? No (ORM)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
General Dentist 62 hrs
Endodontist 33 hrs
Oral Surgeon 12 hrs
Virtual shadowing 5 hrs.
112 hours total

Volunteering Experience:
Clinical dental translator at UCLA's Hispanic Dental Association (Mandarin and Spanish) 15 hrs.
Ronald Reagan hospital volunteer 30 hrs (patient transport, wayfinding, etc).
Meals on Wheels Caterer 5 hrs
School On Wheels Tutor to homeless youth/language coordinator K-12 80 to 90 hrs (taught reading, math, and Spanish; facilitated communication w parents by translating)
Community lecturer and writing mentor 90 hrs (55 hrs live classes, 35 hrs recorded)
215 hours total

Employment:
Student assistant at UCLA School of Dentistry 100.5 hrs (nonclinical, works at an oral surgeon/professor's office, and does mostly academic assistance)

Research:
An undergraduate research presentation on an article (Scandinavian related and non-STEM)
Two directed research projects during a travel study program in Copenhagen this summer (non-STEM):
-urban sustainability
-comparative literature study of H.C. Andersen and Knut Hamsun

No STEM research

Other Extracurriculars:
-Writer on Medium.com (creative non-fiction, poetry, and academic articles)
-Developmental editor for Aleph 2021-2022
-co-inventor of a patented product (Electrode of a medical device)
-participant in a two-quarter Basic Dental Principle course catered to predents
-participant in a Dental Spanish course series
-a general member of ASDA
-a general member of HDA (Hispanic Dental Association)
-a consecutive member at uni's predental club for 3 years
-a consecutive member of the Association of Chinese Americans for 3 years
-a general member of an on-campus Language Association for 2 years
-an associate of research to a Polyglot Society on-campus for 1.5 years
-Lucia Singer

Relevant Honors or Awards:
-*TISUS Intyg (Swedish language proficiency certificate)
-BUSUU Spanish and German certificates
-Deans Honors List for every academic quarter so far
-Two Study Abroad Scholarship each for $2000
-Certificate of Appreciation from HDA
-Gold membership at pre-dental society for 3 years
*high school: National AP Scholar, Seal of Biliteracy

LOR type and strength:
2 STEM professors (7/10 for both, sent them guides. )
1 Humanity (9.5/10; Scandinavian, I conduct most of the research under them and have taken several classes. Known for a year)
1 mentor (9/10 supervisor from the tutoring org. Really nice and professional guy)
1 Extra letter (9/10 a former TA whom I took a year's worth of courses with. Writing & Public Health)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
-Personal statement is expected to be reviewed thoroughly. The theme is about barrier-breaking, service, happiness, reciprocity, versatility, and well-roundedness (maybe patriotism too)
-eager to serve as a military dentist. In the process of applying to HPSP Navy and AF
-no dentists in family. Parents used to be health professionals (non-doctors)
-first-generation student. Moved to California during 2012-15
-speaks 5 languages proficiently (native lang: Shanghainese and English. Mandarin, Swedish, and Spanish.)

School list:
UCLA
UCSF
USC
UMD
Maurice H Kornberg
Roseman
VCU
Columbia
Harvard
Penn
U Conn
U Pacific
Rutger
Western
Tufts
Pittsburgh

Thank you all in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: Expected early June (5th to 10th)
Overall GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 3.93
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 23 PAT 22 Science 23 Bio 23 GC 28 OC 20 QC 23 RC 21

Undergrad Attended: UCLA (junior). *Dual enrollment at UC Berkeley for a year. Incoming exchange at Lund University, Sweden for Fall 2022.
Minority? No (ORM)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
General Dentist 50 hrs (expect to reach 60).
Endodontist 23 hrs (expect to reach 33).
Virtual shadowing 5 hrs. May or may not shadow an oral surgeon.
100 hours total

Volunteering Experience:
Clinical dental translator at UCLA's Hispanic Dental Association (Mandarin and Spanish) 15 hrs.
Tutor to homeless youth/language coordinator K-12 80 hrs (taught reading, math, and Spanish; facilitated communication w parents by translating)
Community lecturer and writing mentor 90 hrs (55 hrs live classes, 35 hrs recorded)
215 hours total

Employment:
Student assistant at UCLA School of Dentistry 70 hrs (nonclinical, works at an oral surgeon/professor's office and does mostly academic assistance)

Research:
An undergraduate research presentation on an article (Scandinavian related and non-STEM)
Two directed research projects during a travel study program in Copenhagen this summer (non-STEM):
-urban sustainability
A group presentation on language learning (Polyglot Society)

No STEM research

Other Extracurriculars:
-a general member of HDA (Hispanic Dental Association) and ASDA
-a consecutive member of Association of Chinese Americans for 3 years

-
Deans Honors List for every academic quarter so far
-A Study Abroad Scholarship for $2000

LOR type and strength:
1 Humanity (9.5/10; Scandinavian, I conduct most of the research under them and have taken several classes. Known for a year)
1 mentor (9/10 supervisor from the tutoring org. Really nice and professional guy)
1 Extra letter (9/10 a former TA whom I took a year's worth of courses with. Writing & Public Health)

-Personal statement is expected to be reviewed thoroughly. The theme will be about service, reciprocity, versatility and well-roundedness (maybe patriotism too)
-eager to serve as a military dentist. In the process of applying to HPSP Navy and AF
-speaks 5 languages proficiently (native lang: Shanghainese and English. Mandarin, Swedish and Spanish.)

School list:
UCLA
UCSF
UMD
Columbia
Harvard
Penn
U Conn
U Pacific
U Washington
Rutger

how do you plan on interviewing while abroad?

Reactions: 1 users
how do you plan on interviewing while abroad?
I emailed the schools regarding that. Most of them (except Penn) says they plan on offering both in-person and virtual options. I certainly wouldn't mind flying back also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed the schools regarding that. Most of them (except Penn) says they plan on offering both in-person and virtual options. I certainly wouldn't mind flying back also.
be aware that could get very costly.

I would expect many of the schools to move back to totally in person interviews.

you have a pretty good well rounded app, very top heavy though. consider safety schools

Reactions: 1 users
be aware that could get very costly.

I would expect many of the schools to move back to totally in person interviews.

you have a pretty good well rounded app, very top heavy though. consider safety schools
Thank you so much! Which schools in California and the East Coast would you recommend to add as safeties?

Date of submission: Expected early June (5th to 10th)
Overall GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 3.93

Minority? No (ORM)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
General Dentist 50 hrs (expect to reach 60).
Endodontist 23 hrs (expect to reach 33).
Virtual shadowing 5 hrs. May or may not shadow an oral surgeon.
100 hours total

Volunteering Experience:
Tutor to homeless youth/language coordinator K-12 80 hrs (taught reading, math, and Spanish; facilitated communication w parents by translating)
215 hours total

Employment:
Student assistant at UCLA School of Dentistry 70 hrs (nonclinical, works at an oral surgeon/professor's office and does mostly academic assistance)

Research:
-urban sustainability
A group presentation on language learning (Polyglot Society)

No STEM research

Other Extracurriculars:
-Writer on Medium.com (creative non-fiction, poetry, and academic articles)
-a general member of HDA (Hispanic Dental Association) and ASDA
-a consecutive member of the Association of Chinese Americans for 3 years

-
Deans Honors List for every academic quarter so far
-A Study Abroad Scholarship for $2000

LOR type and strength:

-Personal statement is expected to be reviewed thoroughly. The theme will be about service, reciprocity, versatility and well-roundedness (maybe patriotism too)
-speaks 5 languages proficiently (native lang: Shanghainese and English. Mandarin, Swedish and Spanish.)

School list:
UCLA
UCSF
UMD
Columbia
Harvard
Penn
U Conn
U Pacific
U Washington
Rutger

1) would recommend changing your username
2) get more general dentist shadowing hours in (should aim for 100 at the very least)
3) do research on what safety schools would work best for you in terms of cost, location, education, experience, etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
1) would recommend changing your username
2) get more general dentist shadowing hours in (should aim for 100 at the very least)
3) do research on what safety schools would work best for you in terms of cost, location, education, experience, etc.

Good luck!
Duly noted and thanks for the heads up!

updated school list:

UCLA
UCSF
Loma Linda
Western
U Washington
BU
Tufts
UMD
Columbia
Harvard
Penn
U Conn
U Pacific

Last edited:
updated school list:

UCLA
UCSF
Loma Linda
Western
U Washington
Tufts
UMD
Columbia
Harvard
Penn
U Conn
U Pacific
U Washington
washington is listed twice
why tufts?
loma linda? do you have the extra LOR ready?

Connect with HDA/ASDA contacts, SNMA chapters, and LOOK FOR DS student orgs or clinics/rotations that really value your talents. It sounds like you will be a best fit in California, but all the major metro dental schools that are multilingual should be in play if they have the support you need.

Do your networking and make the schools want you. You are playing with house money and can get a real shot at anywhere you want if the school.will support you.

My thoughts (others can differ):
For safeties, pick schools in the Northeast hub cities (Tufts, BU, NYU, Rutgers, Temple) that are multicultural and multilingual. Maybe UNLV as a WC "safety" (lots of Chinese and Hispanic people, obviously favors multilingual). Wesgern sure. AZDOH perhaps. I think you could be a strong UTSA candidate (military) or UT Houston (also multicultural), but you'd have to go through TMDSAS.

Last edited:
washington is listed twice
why tufts?
loma linda? do you have the extra LOR ready?
My apologies, just fixed the typo. I picked these two largely based on my ideal locations..(California and East Coast). I do have an extra LOR.

Connect with HDA/ASDA contacts, SNMA chapters, and LOOK FOR DS student orgs or clinics/rotations that really value your talents. It sounds like you will be a best fit in California, but all the major metro dental schools that are multilingual should be in play if they have the support you need.

Do your networking and make the schools want you. You are playing with house money and can get a real shot at anywhere you want if the school.will support you.

My thoughts (others can differ):
For safeties, pick schools in the Northeast hub cities (Tufts, BU, NYU, Rutgers, Temple) that are multicultural and multilingual. Maybe UNLV as a WC "safety" (lots of Chinese and Hispanic people, obviously favors multilingual). Wesgern sure. AZDOH perhaps. I think you could be a strong UTSA candidate (military) or UT Houston (also multicultural), but you'd have to go through TMDSAS.
I am so grateful for your genuine advice! I am also looking into schools that organize mission trips. I am not very much familiar with TMDSAS, however, and is it true that schools in Texas tend to unevenly favor in-state applicants?

I am so grateful for your genuine advice! I am also looking into schools that organize mission trips. I am not very much familiar with TMDSAS, however, and is it true that schools in Texas tend to unevenly favor in-state applicants?
Yes that would be the problem with TMDSAS. I always check ahead of applying. They do take rare OOS applicants so who knows.

I submitted my app on the 13th and paid supplemental fees accordingly. School list is also updated :)

I submitted my app on the 13th and paid supplemental fees accordingly. School list is also updated :)
you applied to too many schools
you are going to get interviews, so i hope you are practicing and saving money...