WAMC CA ORM (3.88/522) and School List help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cofyaddict_192

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I am a little worried since I have not solidified my school list (and this is a VERY rough/just started school list) yet and I am planning to apply this cycle! Any feedback or advice would be v v appreciated!!
  1. cGPA: 3.88, sGPA: 3.89
  2. 522 (132/128/131/131)
  3. CA resident
  4. Asian
  5. Top UC research institution
  6. Clinical volunteering at hospitals/clinics: 160 hours; Paid Clinical Employment as a medical assistant/mandarin interpreter: ~450 hours by the time I apply
  7. Research experience and productivity: ~1800-2000 hours (need to estimate later) of basic research with an independent project over past 3 years, 3 posters and received 2 full time summer fellowships and 1 year long stipend by the school, no pubs by the time of applying but is on manuscript and will publish as first author
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 3 specialties shadowed, around 80 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering; A head teaching assistant (~480s), also on leadership for a tutoring club for students from immigrant households (~300 hours)
  10. Other extracurricular activities: studied abroad twice and have done volunteer work during the duration (v passionate about the refugee/immigration population and volunteered to serve Syrian refugees in Europe)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: 3 research scholarships, a couple merit/need based scholarships, study abroad scholarships
My application has a narrative towards immigration health and serving the immigrant population. However, I am also very research focused (was a lab rat and spent a lot of time in the lab). So I would want to construct a school list that contains schools that places emphasis on research/ serving the underserved. But any guidance would be greatly appreciated!! I would want to apply conservatively this cycle and know that there are no such things as safety schools but would appreciated any pointers to reach/target/more safer schools!!

Current school list: (I plan to apply to around 35-38 schools so any advice on what I should add/take out would be really really appreciated!)

UCLA
UCSD
UCD or UCR (no regional ties so reconsidering :( )
UCSF
UCI
California Northstate
CUSM
USC Keck
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Harvard
Columbia
Upenn
NYU
Rochester
Albert Einstein
Yale
JHU
Feinberg
VCU
Mayo
Brown
Uchig
Brown
Kaiser
Rutgers
U mich (potentially)
Emory
UMaryland
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Case Western
Drexel

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Wake Forest and Drexel since they will "yield protect". Rutgers accepts few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Western Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Duke
U Virginia
Pittsburgh

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there,

Congratulations on your hard work! It seems to have paid off. We suggest comparing your stats with the school's most recently matriculated students. You can do this yourself by going to each school's website. Or you can go to the Medical School Admission Requirements site and check all of this for yourself in one place. One good idea is to look up the mission statement and ethos, and focus on the schools that have a similar mission (i.e., the focus on marginalized communities such as the migrant community, and of course, if they include research in their mission statement, you can bet you would be a good match). One thing you will want to look at specifically, is the out-of-state acceptance rate for all the non-Californian schools you are applying to. Sometimes they only accept 5-10% of their accepted class as non-resident (which translates to only a handful of spots out of thousands). So it will be important to choose your out-of-state schools wisely and ideally ensure your stats for your out-of-state choices are higher than the averages so you have a competitive chance.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Remove CNU and CUSM. You can do better than those two.

Reactions: 1 users